[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the the greatest British author of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Joyce.jpg (190KB, 570x764px) Image search: [Google]
Joyce.jpg
190KB, 570x764px
Is the the greatest British author of all time?
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 750x1334px
>Joyce
>British
>>
wasn't he black?
>>
whom?
>>
File: kek.jpg (30KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
30KB, 615x409px
>>8331448
>Joyce rejected Irish nationality on several occasions. Living in Paris in 1930, he wrote to his son Giorgio: “Some days ago I had to renew my passport. The clerk told me he had orders to send people like me to the Irish delegation. But I insisted instead and got a British one.”

>A decade later the Joyces were offered Irish passports, which would have enabled them to leave Nazi-occupied France more easily if needed. Again, the offer was declined and Joyce clung doggedly to his British passport, despite the increased risk. By his own choice, Joyce was officially British to his death in 1941.

https://next.ft.com/content/7ab4e0e2-d45d-11e3-a122-00144feabdc0

GSTQ!
>>
Wittgrnstein
>>
>not born on island of britain
>british
joyce is irish
>>
>>8331625
No hyphenated Britons allowed
>>
>>8331480
Gee I guess John Lennon must have been an American then
>>
>>8331448
>joyce
>not a west briton
>>
>>8331480
He can try and be British all he wants. That doesn't mean he actually is British.
>>
File: GodTierPassport.jpg (3MB, 4000x2545px) Image search: [Google]
GodTierPassport.jpg
3MB, 4000x2545px
>>8331646
>joyce is irish

Pic related, you are wrong. Sad!
>>
>>8331654
John Lennon was not a US citizen. You killed him before he had the chance to get citizenship. Sad!
>>
>>8331663
>He can try and be British all he wants. That doesn't mean he actually is British.

He was born in the UK and decided to remain a British subject even when his country of birth declared independence.

British by birth, and British by choice!
>>
>>8331673
what island was he from? he was a citizen of the uk but he was also irish
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ZTt_JQXRU
>>
Joyce was born in Ireland, grew up in Ireland, was raised Catholic, wrote an entire book for the Irish dialect and every single one of his texts are set in Ireland

So he's British
>>
>>8331745
>what island was he from?

Ireland, which at the time of his birth was part of the UK and the people were British subjects, hence entitling him to British nationality.

>he was a citizen of the uk but he was also irish

I never disputed that.
>>
>>8331767
Agreed, considering as Ireland was British for the majority of his life.
>>
>>8331780
>ireland was british
that's like saying somalia or nigeria was british
>>
File: gertrude_stein.jpg (168KB, 432x500px) Image search: [Google]
gertrude_stein.jpg
168KB, 432x500px
tsk eliot
>>
>>8331809
>gertrude_stein.jpg
what did he meme by this
>>
>british pedants replacing ideas and meaning with petty formal points based on literal interpretation

can't say I'm surprised here
>>
>>8331654
>>8331663

>national essentialists

Wew.
>>
>>8331780
Ireland was part of the political Union of Great Britain and Ireland, they're separate geographical entities
>>
>>8331858
>thousands of years of history and heritage can just be abstracted away in an instant by being on a certain piece of land, or having some opinion.

Being an American with no actual history or belonging must be very sad. Perhaps that's why they have such a tendency for soulless capitalism and school shootings?
>>
>>8331876
>Ireland was part of the political Union of Great Britain and Ireland, they're separate geographical entities

That's nice, they were part of the same political union and James Joyce continued his national affiliation with the UK even post-independence.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.