[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arabic Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: aaa.jpg (101KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
101KB, 499x499px
Where do I start?
>>
Start with the Greeks
>>
No such thing
>>
>>8330043
You mean the Arabic translations of the Greek texts, which are the closest we have to original versions?

OP, start with the Qur'an
>>
>>8330096
>closest we have to original versions?
You know, besides the Greek versions.
>>
>>8330039
Start here.

and then stop :(
>>
File: CKZAhKKUAAE-Vjt.jpg (57KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
CKZAhKKUAAE-Vjt.jpg
57KB, 600x449px
Start with wikipedia. Realize that only thing worth reading is Averroes and persian sufi poetry. Averroes was spanish. At this point you realize that arabic culture was made rigid by it's own rigid religion that was only inseminated by foreign thoughts by greek/european origin. Stop studying arabic. Study arabic history to realize you always wanted to study Persia instead.

You are welcome.
>>
>>8330704
Ashes in the wind
>>
>>8330039
Just as one starts with Western literature at the beginning (Ancient Greeks!), start Near Eastern literature at the beginning, then work your way into the dawn of the Arabs. Find whatever books you can that summarize Ancient Egyptian, Sumerian, and Akkadian mythology and literature, anything similar to Edith Hamilton's Mythology should do. From there, read the Book of Genesis (Ishmael splits off and founds the proto-Arab tribes early on, so don't bother reading the rest of the Bible) and, if you feel the need, whatever full texts of Ancient Egypt, Sumer, Akkad, and Babylon you can actually find.
From there, read the Koran, 1001 Arabian Nights, Adventures of Sinbad the Sailor, and whatever you can find on Sayf the knight of Yemen. Beyond the medieval period, Arab literature kinda went to shit and the Turks and Persians made better stuff like the Shahnameh and Dede Korkut Kitabı. You're on your own from there.
>>
I guarantee that most of the people on this board will be unfamiliar with anything that isn't Western Literature; take any contribution of theirs with a grain of salt. The Quaran seems like a logical starting point.
>>
>>8330039
The Biography of Muhammad.
>>
I read Naguib Mahfouz's Journey of Ibn Fattouma, it was pretty pleb tier, but his Cairo trilogy is supposed to be very good.

Kateb Yacine's Nedjma is like an Algerian Faulkner novel, didn't love it but it's an interesting work of literature.
>>
Al-Muqadimmah
>>
>>8330714
Came to post this
>>
>>8330720
>tfw Iran doesn't rule the world
>>
>>8330096
Arabic =/= Muslim.

I don't think a Christian Lebanese would recommend reading the Quran.
>>
>>8331831
Arabic literature begins with the Qur'an though.
>>
>>8330039
>>8330720
Ibn Khaldun
>>
Jalim Al-Muqalib. How is this even a question?
>>
File: image.jpg (115KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 640x1136px
>>8331914
Is pic related what you mean/a good starting point? I don't know much about it, but it piqued my interest when I read a few selections in a much broader book about the middle east.
>>
>>8330039
Start with the Greeks. You always start with the Greeks. Most Arabic philosophy is a development of Greek ideas.
>>
File: phalange.jpg (936KB, 3048x2112px) Image search: [Google]
phalange.jpg
936KB, 3048x2112px
What are some good books by Arab Christians?
>>
>>8331963
Yes then The book of examples. Though be advised that these aren't easy reads "out of the blue", usually people come to him with quite an anthropological and philosophical background. Anyway you can always try and see if you like.
>>
>>8331998
Thanks for the heads up and the follow-up recommendation. Much obliged!
>>
>>8331989
this
>>
>>8330714
Came to post this, too.
>>
>>8331831
>an atheist european wouldnt recommend reading the bible to be familiar with western lit
>>
>>8330039
who is this woman
i am going to jack off to pictures of her face and or body
>>
>>8334115
You're welcome, good luck !
>>
>>8330039
I want to cum on her face.
>>
>>8331831
>Golden Age
>>
Ibn Arabi
Mustafa Mahmoud
>>
Nagib Mahfouz
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.