[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just finished this bad boy.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: moby-dick.jpg (486KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
moby-dick.jpg
486KB, 1024x1024px
Thoughts?

The prose is god-tier. The first hundred or so pages were comfy, and even after that it's a beautiful read throughout. I sighed entering each last half a dozen or so whale chapters, but Melville kept winning me over with how he ended each one. All the characters are riveting, especially of course Ahab. I loved the biblical stuff that I did catch (mostly stuff that was impossible to miss), and I look forward to rereading it.

Is everything else by Melville this good? What are some other good biblical reads (I liked Blood Meridian)?
>>
>>8329922
Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.
>>
>>8329922
Billy Budd, Sailor has God-tier prose imo. Bartleby The Scrivener is also worth checking out - it's sort of a precursor to some of the early 20th century existentialists, at least it seemed to influence Camus to some extent.

"Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me."
>>
>>8329922
seconding billy budd as good, but i havent read anything else by him
>>
File: aspic-pe-blog.jpg (604KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
aspic-pe-blog.jpg
604KB, 1600x1200px
anything to read prior to this??? reading a king james bible and am working my way through shakespeare. what else does melville draw from? dante, milton, homer, virgil etc? what shakespeare should i know at least minimum?
>>
>>8330126
wodehouse
>>
>>8329922
It's written by a white straight male.
>>
>>8330134
>author's irrelevant specifications
let's keep this literature-related
>>
>>8330134
>melville
>straight
>>
>>8330126
i remember he explicity mentions Phaedo. not in a super deep way though. some macbeth parodies. edmund burke. several others.

you dont need any of it except the Bible if you buy an edition with notes.
>>
>>8330159
you have a point there
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.