[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Introductions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: ulysses_introduction.jpg (1MB, 2411x2918px) Image search: [Google]
ulysses_introduction.jpg
1MB, 2411x2918px
Do you read the introductory part of a book?
>>
only after i've read the book
>>
>>8327247
ok why after?
>>
>>8327279
because i don't want to spoil shit, and i like to experience the book and form my own opinions first and then check out what other people thought afterwards
>>
I usually try to except in the case of some where the intro is like 40 pages

I'd rather the plot be spoiled so i can better pick up on themes and devices theoughout the text and help have a better context of the book
>>
>>8327335
Don't want to hear others opinion on something before I do it.
>>
>>8327335
seems reasonable
>>8327343
this is also what I do, easier to catch on when english is not my main language
>>
I read the first part that describes the state of life the author was in and the current events of the time. I stop when the plot begins to be revealed and the story is analyzed. I read this part after the book. I think it should be 2 essays.
>>
Most people know the basic plot of the classics before reading them, I don't think the spoilers are that big of a deal. I prefer reading the introductors analysis after I've read the book though.
>>
It depends on what kind of introduction it is.

I like introductions that introduce the author in a general way and place the work int he context of his life and times.

If it's one of those lit crit analysis introductions, I'll give it a chance for like 5 pages. If it's good, I'll read it, but much more often, it's bad, in which case I tear it out of my copy and throw it in the trash where it belongs.
>>
>>8327242
What edition is this?
>>
I just had an introduction spoil snow country for me and I'm pretty triggered
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.