[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Funniest book of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (29KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 260x400px
Funniest book of all time?
>>
It probably is. Also a Finnish writer I know about is probably the most hilarious I've ever read.
>>
>>8326708
Name?
>>
>>8326714
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arto_Paasilinna
>>
Why is it #1 on Goodreads "Most read but unfinished books of all time" list?

My copy should arrive tomorrow and now i'm wondering if it was a mistake.
>>
>>8326769
Don't worry about Goodreads. I got through this when I was 17/18 just fine and I'm not very bright or attentive.
>>
>>8326769

It is easy to read but gets a bit repetitive and has a disjointed storytelling structure
>>
>>8326769
because goodreads is for stupid people that read genre
>>
>>8326769
People on Goodreads can't actually read so when this book starts to jump around a bit they can't keep up and think "THIS STORY ISN'T LINEAR" and drop it, but because its a classic they still have to pretend like they enjoyed it.
>>
>>8326781
>stupid people that read genre

There is literally nothing wrong with genre fiction.
>>
dorian grey i found funnier desu
>>
>>8326797
so why can't they read a simple book like catch 22
>>
>>8326769
That's stupid. The book is great and when I read it I finished it in 3 days because I loved it so much
>>
>>8326806
Because normies dont care about literature.
>>
the once and future king. specifically the chapter about catching a unicorn.
>>
>>8326706
>tfw too poor to buy catch 22
>>
The funniest books I've read are a confederacy of dunces, pride and prejudice, Babbitt . Is catch 22 funnier than those?
>>
Does anyone appreciate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy here? It's not groundbreaking but it was pretty easy and funny
>>
>>8327152
yes, unless you have flies in your eyes

>pride and prejudice
talked with a grill from class about it, stupid bitch didn't notice it's funny
>>
>>8327152
It depends on your sense of humor. It's a bit like Seinfeld + Pynchon + Abbott and Costello imo.
It's easily the funniest book I've ever read, I never read Babbitt though.
>>
>>8327167
>Didn't notice pride and prejudice was funny

Jesus. I can't imagine having such poor reading comprehension...

>>8327072
Try and frequent used bookstores. It's popular and commonly found in my experience. >>8327173
Babbitt would be a great read at this present time. It's a satire and the main character is sort of like Donald Trump
>>
>>8327173
Don't forget M*A*S*H
>>
Dunno about funniest of all time, but pretty damn funny.

Heller's Picture This is better in my opinion. Covers more ideas and uses the same sort of techniques but in a more complex and skillful manner.

His Something Happened is easily his best work though, in my opinion. Again, similar themes and similar techniques but is much more thoughtful and speans directly to the typical middle-class office worker type.

I would not really recommend his Closing Time, however. It's a sequel to Catch-22, and while it definitely has some wonderful passages and episodes, it is overall really weak in comparison to the others. Feels like a rush job and an attempt to cash in on the fame of Catch-22 much later in his life.

Lastly, I would also recommend Babbit like some earlier posts. Similar in content to Something Happened, very well done piece of satire.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.