[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comfy Reads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: comfy.jpg (41KB, 600x579px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
41KB, 600x579px
Okay /lit/, one of my first posts here. I don't read as much as I would like, but I'm an average reader I'd say.

What books, or sections of a book, give you those cozy/comfy feels? The kind of feeling where you want to sit in front of a fireplace with a warm cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate and a blanket, and just read?

For me it's the first chapter of Tolkien's "Book of Lost Tales I", the chapter about the Cottage of Lost Play. The atmosphere this chapter depicts give me such comfy feelings. Truly love it. A quick quote:

"He was now near the centre of this great island and for many days had wandered its roads, stopping each night at what dwelling of folk he might chance upon, where it hamlet or good town, about the house of eve at the kindling of candles. Now at that time the desire of new sights is least, even in one whose heart is that of an explorer; and then even such a son of Eärendel as was this wayfarer turns his thoughts rather to supper and to rest and the telling of tales before the time of bed and sleep is come."
>>
The first 100 pages of Moby Dick are ultimate comfy
>>
>>8326286
The opening of lolita's actually quite idyllic imo. Really comfy
>>
The Sound of Waves is as comfy as it gets.
>>
anything from the NYRB catalogue
>>
strangely enough, Quentin's section in The Sound and the Fury is both comfy, and anxious. Reading it a 2nd time dissipates the anxiety a little bit though because you know about his mental issues.
>>
I usually find anything bohemian to be comfy. Pretty much everything autobiographical by Jack Kerouac is really comfy. I'm reading The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara and am really impressed by how carefree and joyous it sounds. The Hobbit is also go-to comfycore.
>>
>>8326397
This

The Time Machine is my favorite comfy read
>>
Fishing scene in The Sun Also Rises

Graham Greene - Monsignor Quixote
>>
Tolkien is unbelievable comfy. Not only that but I get nostalgic memories of my childhood, reading it snuggled in my bed in the attic, while raindrops drum on the roof.
>>
Kingkiller Chronicle.
>>
>>8326286
>>8326748

Seconding Tolkien. Especially first half of the LotR. That is so comfy, maybe a lot of nostalgia involved, but still.. And then later, in LotR, the passages with Frodo and Sam in Mordor, when they find some rest.

>>8326289
Agree with this, I, probably liked this section of Moby Dick the most. The opening itself was like something by sir Thomas Browne, or Robert Burton.

Beside these, Triste Tropique by Claude Levi-Strauss and those huge german books on border of enlightment, romantism, realism, biedermeier, maybe even expresionism in some cases (like Gottfried Keller, Jean Paul, Theodore Storm, Ghoethe's novels about Wilhelm Meister, Stifter, Hölderlin, Döblin and so on; Arno Schmidt and Peter Handke have shown me the beauty in these books and there are not more comfy situation than sit with one of these books somewhere outside, in the grass, on the sun, far from people and just read).
>>
Keith millers book of flying is super comfy especially the beginning where Pico is still living in the library
>>
Ehh, comfy for me doesn't come from my reading but rather the state in which I am reading.

My go-to is always Logan's Run though its probably a bit too scifi/dystopian for some one trying to attain comfy
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.