[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stoicism/Practical Philosophy/Life Improvement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (605KB, 561x694px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
605KB, 561x694px
So /lit/ I don't really read very often besides stuff on the internet but I've been wondering if reading some classic philosophy, like Epictetus' Discourses/Fragments/Enchiridiom or Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, will improve my quality of life. My question is how practical are these books and will I actually come away with useful ideas that I didn't already have? Do you have any book recs, stoic or otherwise? Should I be looking into something else entirely?
>>
Books that are referencing stoics and /k and /out approved " on combat" and "deep survival" philosophy without application is masturbation.
>>
Read them and find out or fuck off.
>>
anyone who is on /lit/ has failed at life objectively. leave.
>>
Stoicism is just glorified indifference.

The good news is that it's very close to Nietzsche's life affirmation, which is better.
>>
Here's a reading list I quickly whipped up for some people on /fit/:

Ethics/Philosophy:
The Story of Philosophy - Bryan Magee
Apology - Plato (try to read Euthyphro before, and Crito and Phaedo after)
Nicomachean Ethics - Aristotle (you may want to read Politics after)
Principal Doctrines - Epicurus (http://www.epicurus.net/en/principal.html)
Letter to Menoecus - Epicurus (http://www.epicurus.net/en/menoeceus.html)
On the Nature of Things - Lucretius
Selected Works - Cicero
Discourses, Fragments, Handbook - Epictetus
Letters from a Stoic; On the Brevity of Life - Seneca
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
Consolation of Philosophy - Boethius
The Daodejing - Lao Tzu
Zhuangzi - Zhuangzi
In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourse from the Pali Canon

I know this is mostly classical, but it will suit you well enough. For publishers, go for the following: Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Hackett Publishing.

Fiction/Inspirational/Epics/you know what I mean:

The Iliad & Odyssey - Homer (Fitzgerald, Fagles, or Lattimore are good translations)
The Histories - Herodotus
History of the Peloponnesian War - Thucydides
Anabasis - Xenophon
The History of Rome - Titus Livy
The Gallic Wars - Caesar
The Civil War - Lucan
The Aeneid - Virgil
The Metamorphoses - Ovid
Lives of the Caesars - Suetonius
Lives of Eminent Romans and Greeks - Plutarch
The Cossacks - Tolstoy

Again this is mostly Classical, but there's no point in going through every existent work of literature for a list when these suit the purpose fine. Again, go with university presses for your publisher choice, Penguin are good quality a lot of the time, but sometimes use older translations.
>>
>>8324114
>>
>>8324154

This.

Stoicism is merely 'not saying no' to everything. Nietzschean life affirmation is saying 'yes' to everything.
>>
>>8324178
what about saying yes to saying no?

le sick fruit eater man btfo tbqh
>>
File: rly maeks u think.jpg (26KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
rly maeks u think.jpg
26KB, 420x420px
>>8324182

>He doesn't eat 7lbs of fruit a day
>>
>>8324159
>Here's a reading list I quickly whipped up for some people on /fit/:
Why are there no books with clickbait titles on how to get girls to have sex with you and why are there no books about crossdressers?
>>
>>8324235
>Why are there no books with clickbait titles on how to get girls

That's the reason I made the list lol. It was in a "self-help" thread and people were recommending meme books.
>>
>>8324178
>he didn't understand the ass's ears aphorism
Nice try, but you'd better hit the books again before you embarrass yourself again
>>
>>8324270

Elaborate.
>>
>>8323608
Stoicism is dope man, Start by reading Seneca, then Epictetus and end with Aurelius.
Seneca is so enjoyable tor ead, it really gives the magnitude stoicism deserves.
Epictetus develops what you read on Seneca on more detail so you can get a grip of where the lines are
Aurelius is just curious because it looks as if he really practiced stoicism as a Roman emperor which must have been hard as fuck.

I'm aware that's not the chronological order but I feel that's the best way to get into stoicism.
>>
>>8324154
Stoicism is just glorified good living*

Fixed it up for ya
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.