[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nietzsche on Revenge and Punishment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: FreddyIchBinDynamiteNeetschee.jpg (222KB, 600x696px) Image search: [Google]
FreddyIchBinDynamiteNeetschee.jpg
222KB, 600x696px
What is Nietzsche's view on revenge and punishment?

"What a fine way of compensating for your suffering it is to go on and *destroy your own judgment*! Your revenge rebounds upon you yourself when you defame something; it is your *own* eye you dim, not that of another: you accustom yourself to *seeing distortedly*!" (Daybreak, 214)

"Reflect! - He who is punished is never he who performed the deed. He is always the scapegoat." (Daybreak, 252)

"Then an adder came along and bit him in the neck, so that Zarathustra cried out in pain. [...] “Not so fast,” spoke Zarathustra. “You have not yet accepted my thanks! You waked me in time, my way is still long.” “Your way is still short,” said the adder sadly: “My poison kills.” Zarathustra smiled. “Since when did a dragon ever die of snake poison?” he said. “But take back your poison! You are not rich enough to give it to me.” Then the snake fell upon his neck once again and licked his wound. [...] “If you should have an enemy, then do not requite him evil with good, for that would shame him. Instead prove that he has does you some good. [...] A small revenge is more humane than no revenge at all. And if the punishment is not also a right and an honor for the transgressor, then I do not like your punishing either.” (Thus spoke Zarathustra, The Adder's Bite)

He of course seems to be against Ahab-like revenge, but I can't quite pinpoint what his advice is and connect it to the rest of his ideas.
>>
>>8323197
Go back to Heraclitus for the answer, because Nietzsche is basically on board with Heraclitus. That is, there is no justice. He goes on further to explain that punishment is just how we get our Schadenfreude fix. I don't think he's fundamentally opposed to some healthy cruelty once in awhile and he doesn't really drop a moral condemnation on it though he opposed it from a consequentialist perspective. He at least wants us to call a spade a spade in the field of justice though.

He also opposes reformative justice, since he argues that reformation is basically punishment and worse yet, it's punishment that if successful removes a man's best traits as his best (ie strongest) traits are usually the ones that see him getting into conflict with social mores.

He dislikes cruelty inflicted by the mob against the individual in particular, I think he would actually be more supportive of Ahabesque heroic revenge than a death penalty handed down by a jury. But of course he sees both as not resulting in justice and expresses some support for what we call today 'restorative justice' which is a more individualist conception of justice which sees offenses as offending against victims rather than against the state or some abstract principle of 'the law'.

I think he'd be more amenable to the ancient Germanic tradition of a blood money payment than to imprisonment or what have you.
>>
>>8323427
Good post
>>
>>8323197
My favourite line, unrelated to Nietzsche, on revenge is this:

"You are punished by anger; not for it."

It calms me to such an unreal degree.
>>
>>8323427
Great post. Do you have a book on Heraclitus to recommend or his fragments are all I need?
>>
>>8324595
His fragments are all that's left other than secondary sources which are also working exclusively from the fragments. The straightforward fragments are easy to interpret and the not so straightforward ones are just targets for people to project their own bullshit on so I never found secondary sources useful for him.

I should specify that Heraclitus doesn't exactly say that there is no justice but rather that there is only justice in strife. Which for human purposes is effectively saying there is no justice and also nothing is truly knowable to humans from his perspective. This kind of shit is why he was known as the weeping philosopher.
>>
PEL has a good episode that discusses this. If you don't have 2 hours then I think at 60min is most relevant.
>>
>>8325138
Forgot link:
https://www.partiallyexaminedlife.com/2009/11/10/episode-11-nietzsches-immoralism-what-is-ethics-anyway/
>>
>>8323197
what is with Nietzche's fixation on snakes?
>>
>>8325448
I think it's because of the Bible convincing Eve to eat the apple for knowledge of good & evil/etc
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.