[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No idea what other board I would put this on so here it goes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: bunnypillow.jpg (78KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
bunnypillow.jpg
78KB, 700x700px
No idea what other board I would put this on so here it goes

So is this sentence correct?

"With each step he took – the voice in his head telling him he was being stalked kept on getting louder."

Thx in advance /lit/
>>
>>8320480
No
>>
>>8320493
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>8320480

It's correct if you take out the dash and use a simple comma instead:
>With each step he took, the voice in his head telling him he was being stalked kept on getting louder.
Your impulse to use a dash could come in handy in clarifying the sentence a little; see what you think of this option:
>With each step he took, the voice in his head–telling him he was being stalked–kept on getting louder.
This sets that 'telling...' phrase apart (it's not an essential part of the sentence) and gives it extra emphasis. (You could also put it in parentheses if you don't want to emphasize it as much; either way will make the main part of the sentence stand out more clearly.)
>>
>>8320495
you swap from past-tense to present-tense, then back to past-tense narrative
>>
>>8320508

Stop. Go and read up on participles and subordinate clauses before commenting on other people's grammar.
OP, don't pay attention to this.
>>
>>8320508
So what would be correct?

"With each step he took, the voice in his head that was telling him he was being stalked kept on getting louder."

This or?
I am mostly asking because of tenses
I'm having trouble with them while writing the most

>>8320505
Yea I could do that, thanks anon, but I'm mostly asking for the tenses
>>
>>8320547
10/10
>>
>>8320542
So you're saying my sentence is correct?

The thing is, my new boss which pays me for books has been annoying me about my tenses since the second book I wrote for him

I never had anyone complain about them before, so maybe my other bosses didn't notice or care they were incorrect?
I just don't know and want my boss to get a properly written book from me
>>
>>8320547
>the voice in his head that was telling him
You could do that. Adding 'that was' makes the sense and the tense more explicitly clear. It isn't necessary though (it doesn't change anything) and in fact is a little wordy, so I wouldn't recommend adding it.
>>
>>8320567
Yes, it's correct.
Also, avoid 'which' whenever possible, and especially don't use it when referring to a person; use 'who' instead for that, if anything
>>
>>8320586
I was thinking this, it made the sentence too wordy and I figured it didn't have to be there

But I bet my boss is still gonna point it out as a mistake or whatever
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.