[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long do you think it'd take to learn German to the level

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 2000px-Flag_map_of_Germany.svg.png (115KB, 2000x2707px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_map_of_Germany.svg.png
115KB, 2000x2707px
How long do you think it'd take to learn German to the level of being able to read Nietzsche/Goethe? I'm already semi-fluent in a Germanic language (Swedish), which has some similarities...
>>
>>8319328
With a copy of Loeb's Civil Wars and Wheelock's latin primer I learned to read latin very poorly in a few months. German is far closer to English so I imagine if you get one of those dual language books and a good German primer you can do the same.

Alternately, move to Germany.
>>
>>8319335
*Ceaser's Civil War published by Loed.
>>
>>8319328
>I'm already semi-fluent in a Germanic language (Swedish), which has some similarities...

they're similar by being apart of the same language group but it's not like it will take minimal effort to pick up German as it would be Danish. they're still pretty different languages
>>
>>8319328
>I'm already semi-fluent in a Germanic language (Swedish)
What's happening with your English in this?
>>
>>8319335
Yeah I like this idea. What would be a good book to use?
>>
>>8319328
>How long

idk, youre just strudying it or plan to go live in Germany for some time?

Cause you might get to understand the words of those of what you read, but without a minimal contact with the culture itself you wont really understand.
>>
>>8319423
>>
>>8319446
If that is the German Commentarii de Bello Civili maybe I shouldn't learn the language after all...
>>
I've been studying German for several years and I still cannot approach writers on the level of Nietzsche and most certainly not Goethe.

But then again as a native English speaker my capacity for foreign languages may have been diminished by the currently impoverished, niggerfied state of our retarded language.
>>
>>8319498
>my capacity for foreign languages may have been diminished by the currently impoverished, niggerfied state of our retarded language
Just blame the education system.
>>
german and austrian bros, is thomas bernhard's and handke's german a lot different from the standard german taught to foreigners?
>>
>>8319498
If this isn't bait you should genuinely kill yourself pseudcuck
>>
>>8319585
There are so few differences that I can't name one from the top of my head. Maybe you'll come across an auxiliary verb or a preposition and think that you would have used another in its place, but apart from the occasional moment of slight confusion the language should not cause you any difficulties if you have a decent grasp of Hochdeutsch. There might be some idioms that are unknown to non-Austrians, nonetheless I'm pretty sure their meaning can be understood from the context. Otherwise you might have to look it up, but I have no recollection of doing so. (I am German, so I can't offer you the perspective of an Austrian native speaker)
>>
There's no real answer to that question, it all depends on how much time you're willing to spend studying. If you're motivated (one hour of work + learning at least ten new words every day) you could probably do it after three years.
>>
>>8319808
thank you
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.