[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the best edition?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

what's the best edition?
>>
you posted it op\

i have it and it's excellent

they have a shakespeare poems book coming out next year which i preordered

im also considering grabbing their donne book even though i already have multiple editions of donne poems (modern library, norton)
>>
>>8318625
Do you know about their Milton?
Never heard about them before and the complete Shakespeare.
>>
>>8318708
Not the person you replied to, but I can vouch for Longman's Milton volumes. I used to have both of the older ones; but I lost them in a fire and had to buy new ones. Usually, something gets lost when a publisher decides to update their older editions; but even the newer editions have all of the notes and context I remember.
As per usual with the Longman editions, I wouldn't recommend them for a first reading, but the supplemental material outdoes Norton and is ideal for someone wanting to become immersed in a writer's singular vision.
>>
>>8318794
Whg wouldn't you recommend it for a first reading?
>>
>>8318919
It's for academic study. You'll get bogged down in all the commentary.

I read the Penguin Classics edition for pleasure and it was wonderful, zero complaints.
>>
>>8318708
not familiar with the milton per se, but longman editions are very well regarded overall so it's hard to go wrong. i do agree with >>8318929
though, it's definitely aimed at an academic, or at the very least enthusiast audience. some people are ok doing first time readings with heavily annotated stuff, others not so much. depends on you i guess.
>>
not related but anyone have thoughts on the riverside editions of various authors? chaucer, milton, shakespeare, etc.
>>
>>8320834
if you have to ask it's more than adequate for you. well regarded editions.
>>
>>8321092
thanks for the condescending answer, i know they are 'well regarded' already.

i was interested in what the offer/don't offer over other editions and what other anons thought.
>>
>>8321220
its not condescending why are you so insecure

if you have to ask you probably don't have nearly enough knowledge/interest to the point where it matters. the different editions cater largely to academics and educators who want to emphasize a specific point, and people who choose one over the other have very specific things they're looking for.
>>
>>8321227
ok so it's very clear you don't actually own any of them, thanks for your non-answer.
>>
>>8321232
>being this butthurt blasted

He's right you fucking pseud. It's all the same fucking text unless you care about different Shakespeare Quatros and Folios (you don't).
>>
>>8321232
are you trolling or are you seriously this dense
>>
>>8318929
>>8319623
And what are good editions for a first time Milton and Spencer? I do want some good notes.
>>
>>8321264
penguin is fine for faerie queene.i don't even know if there's anyone other than longman and penguin with an in print faerie queene, a lot of it is just old editions you find used. there's some weird hackett edition thats like 6 different volumes that i dont have experience with.

milton has a million different publishers all doing paradise lost/his other poetry. is this about the level of notes you want? or would you want more/less? https://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/reading_room/pl/book_1/text.shtml
>>
>>8321280
That seems ok to me anon. Maybe a bit more wouldn't hurt.
What about norton critical?
>>
>>8321359
modern library should be ok more or less.

norton critical notes are about comparable but norton's main "point" is that it contains a lot of contextual primary documents as well as long-form critical essays. if that's what you're looking for (for any work not just milton) you can't go wrong with milton. the notes are good too.

i'm not familiar with what the penguin milton stuff looks like.

vintage will probably be too light on notes for you.
>>
>>8321370
Essays are always welcome. I'll check norton and modern library. Thanks friend.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.