[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the most iconic opening line you have read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 12

File: 1469252521985.jpg (74KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
1469252521985.jpg
74KB, 500x669px
what is the most iconic opening line you have read?
>>
What the fuck kind of question is this
>>
>>8317304
>When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside of Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon.
>>
>>8317308
opening lines are important, i just thought it would be neat to hear what ones people enjoyed the most
sorry
>>
>>8317304
It was morning.
>>
SEE THE CHILD
>>
>>8317304
Who's there?
>>
Call me Ishmael

A screaming comes across the sky.

Snow-Balls have flown their Arcs...
>>
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
>>
> μηνιν ἀειδε θεα Πηληιαδεο Ἀχιληος
> ουλομενην, ἡ μυρι Αχαιοις ἀλγε ἐθηkε
>>
Maman died today.
>>
>>8317341
Goodass opening line
>>
> It was a cold and rainy night
>>
>>8317328
don't apologise you shit
>>
>>8317304
>iconic

wat
>>
>>8317396
>>8317308
what the fuck is going on here, are you guys retarded?
>>
You are about to begin reading Italo Calvino's new novel, If on a winter's night a traveler.
>>
Refer to me as Ishmael
>>
File: robin.jpg (136KB, 555x800px) Image search: [Google]
robin.jpg
136KB, 555x800px
And then everything changed on the 18th of February 1987 when I was born, thrust into a world with only my parents to support me, their feeble income no longer sustains my growing bulk and I must write this, my diary, to be published, for monetary profit, so that I can continue my great dietary, and even greater literary, needs, and hope to fill the everwidening chasm of learning, and eating, my body needs.
>>
Thucydides, an Athenian, wrote the history of the war between the Peloponnesians and the Athenians, beginning at the moment it broke out, and believing that it would be a great war, and more worthy of relation than any that had preceded it.
>>
>Don stepped outside.
>>
>- Nonada. Tiros que o senhor ouviu foram de briga de homem não, Deus esteja.
Fuck yeah, João Guimarães Rosa!
>>
stately plump bowler man something something
>>
Of man's first disobedience and the fruit of that forbidden tree
>>
Quoth the reaven, Ever more
>>
I, I love the colorful clothes she wears; she's already been working on my brain
>>
Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo
>>
>>8317405
You're stupid as fuck kid. That OP is the dumbest shit I've ever read.
>>
>>8317352

For some reason I really like this one. Don't know why.
>>
A spectre is haunting Europe
>>
>>8317678
Is that from the Caspere the Friendly Ghost novelization?
>>
something something sky above the port
>>
IME the first Lord in the younited States of A mericary Now of Newburyport it is the voise of the peopel and I cant Help it and so Let it goue Now as I must be Lord there will foller many more Lords pretty soune for it dont hurt A Cat Nor the mouse Nor the son Nor the water Nor the Eare then goue on all is Easey Now bons broaken all is well all in Love Now I be gin to Lay the corner ston and the kee ston with grat Remembrence of my father Jorge Washington the grate herow 17 sentreys past before we found so good a father to his shildren and Now gone to Rest1 Now to shoue my Love to my father and grate Caricters I will shoue the world one of the grate Wonders of the world in 15 months if now man mourders me in Dors or out Dors such A mouserum on Earth will annonce O Lord thou knowest to be troue fourder hear me good Lord I am A goueing to Let or shildren know Now to see good Lord what has bin in the world grat wase back to owr forefathers Not old plimeth but stop to Addom & Eave to shoue 45 figures2 two Leged and fore Leged because we Cant Doue weel with our four Leged in the first plase they are our foude in the Next plase to make out Dexters mouseum I want 4 Lions to defend thous grat and mistry men from East to wist from North to South which Now are at the plases Rased the Lam is not Readey in short meater if agreabel I form a good and peasabel government on my Land in Newburyport Compleat I taks 3 presedents hamsher govenor all to Noue york and the grate mister John Jay is one, that maks 2 in that state the king of grat britton mister pitt Roufes kins Cros over to france Loues the 16 and then the grate bonnepartey the grate and their segnetoure Crow biddey3 --- I Command pease and the gratest brotherly love and not fade be Linked to gether with that best of troue love so as to govern all nasions on the fass of the gloub not to tiranize over them but to put them to order if any Despout shall A Rise as to boundreys or Any maturs of Importance it is Left france and grat britton and Amacarey to be setteled A Congress4 to be allways in france all Despouts is to be thare settled and this may be Dun this will balless power and then all wars Dun A way there-fore I have the Lam to Lay Dow with the Lion Now this may be dun if thos three powers would A geray to Lay what is called Devel one side and Not Carry the gentelman pack hors Any longer but shake him of as dust on your feet and Laff at him5 there is grate noise Aboute a toue Leged Creter he says I am going to set sade black Divel there stop he would scare the womans so there would be No youse for the bilding.
>>
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
>>
Jiggly, big Bill Simian teetered the tightrope toting raisins and peanuts in hand.
>>
When a day that you happen to know is Wednesday starts off by sounding like Sunday, there is something seriously wrong somewhere.
>>
>>8317304
“It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea.”
>>
>>8317678
Mein Kampf?
>>
>>8317453
which book?
>>
>>8317918
Communist Manifesto
>>
"From a little after two oclock until almost sundown of the long still hot weary dead September afternoon they sat in what Miss Coldfield still called the office because her father had called it that — a dim hot airless room with the blinds all closed and fastened for forty-three summers because when she was a girl someone had believed that light and moving air carried heat and that dark was always cooler, and which (as the sun shone fuller and fuller on that side of the house) became latticed with yellow slashes full of dust motes which Quentin thought of as being flecks of the dead old dried paint itself blown inward from the scaling blinds as wind might have blown them."
>>
"They shoot the white girl first."
>>
File: BTK_Killer.jpg (574KB, 1427x1019px) Image search: [Google]
BTK_Killer.jpg
574KB, 1427x1019px
A screaming of 'call me Ishmael' comes accross Howth Castle and Environs on a bright cold day in April, when Maman, light of my life, fire of my loins, came from the stairhead, surrounded by heads and bodies, and found herself changed into a monstrous vermin.
>>
>>8318438
edgy
>>
Ay yo, it's yo main man Ish Mael
>>
in search of lost time
tristram shandy
>>
>>8318460

Toni Morrison tends to do that with opening lines.
>>
>>8318468
>Toni Morrison
>>
This has been a wet season.
>>
>>8317678
i was going to come in here and make a shitpost but i actually agree with this
>>
I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man.
>>
>All this happened, more or less.
>>
>What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?
>>
>>8317304
My name is Ishmael

There was a screaming in the sky

Stately, plump Buck Mulligan put his razer on his shaving bowl

I was sitting in an office surrounded by smart people and athletes
>>
File: choochoometafictiontrain.jpg (52KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
choochoometafictiontrain.jpg
52KB, 600x399px
>>8317426
>This
>>
>>8317823
Wavy, sly Briggs Bullbather brought cord to wall on his Xbox 360
>>
>So there I was, chillling in the Hypersphere.

I'm serious
>>
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste.
>>
File: no-discernible-talent.jpg (60KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
no-discernible-talent.jpg
60KB, 620x412px
>...Who's there?
>I am...
>>
Pride and prejudice

Anna Karenina

A tale of two cities

God tier openings
>>
>>8317304
>—Money. . .? in a voice that rustled.
>>
>>8317405
I'd say an overflow from Reddit and /b/, or a somewhat valid if overblown criticism of the use of the word iconic. It's a bit awkward the way OP used it. Iconic would imply opening lines that define or best represent a genre I guess, but I think OP really just wanted to hear our favorite opening lines.
>>
>>8318450

(you) for effort
>>
>>8317304
> Humanity... All of my suffering on this world has been at the hands of humanity, particularly women.
>>
It was the yearwhen (((they)) finally immanentized the Eschaton
>>
John Stalvern waited
>>
>>8318715
Doom:Repercussions of evil was a masterpiece.
>>
I'm Ishmael.
>>
>>8318019
my diary
>>
>>8317304
En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor.
>>
"MANY YEARS LATER as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."
>>
Though it isn't technically the opening line:

Listen:
Billy Pilgrim has become dislodged from my anus--just like this shitty story.
>>
Mother died today.
>>
>>8317352
Im gonna add that I have never found this particularly good. Sure it is an economic and straightforward line and is a bit of a hook, its a good opening line for that, but I'm just not very impressed by the actual content of it.
>>
‘Now, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them. This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children. Stick to Facts, sir!’
>>
File: woman-cooking-stir-fry_clyiqx.jpg (222KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
woman-cooking-stir-fry_clyiqx.jpg
222KB, 600x399px
Maman fried today.
>>
>>8317494
He wished he were drunk.
>>
>>8317685
Kapital the bourgeois ghost.

He merely wishes to improve the workers' lives through exploitation, what's so bad about that?
>>
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento, el coronel Aureliano Buendía había de recordar aquella tarde remota en que su padre lo llevó a conocer el hielo.
>>
>>8318941
So based. I know it sounds cheesey but I fell in love with this book at just the opening line.
>>
“OY FUCKING CUMSWAPPER”
>>
>>8319578
ok i know ive read a book with Aureliano Buendia in it but why the fuck are you writing in spanish?
>>
>>8318980
I never found the opening line to Gravity's Rainbow particularly good either.
>>
>>8318933
The most iconic opening line in the history of literature, no doubt
>>
>>8320086
not the one you replied to, but i guess it's because it's the original language it was written in
>>
"Feel free to call me Ishmael"

Always sends shivers down my throat
>>
>>8317453
Hey, that's my birthday too!
>>
>>8317453
You are a waste
>>
>>8320767
Idiot
>>
>>8318911
desu?
>>
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
>>
>>8320856
this board is well known for not liking translations, but apparently that only applies for books written in english. Fucking plebs
>>
Det var i den tid jeg gikk omkring og sultet i Kristiania, denne forunderlige by som ingen forlater for han har fått merker av den ….
>>
>>8317308
What book is this from?
>>
>>8317304

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were stricon thirteen.
>>
>>8318595
That was just a coincidence, no?
>>
>>8320086
>>8320856
>>8320886
Cien años de soledad by Gabriel García Marquez
>>
"We should start back"
>>
>>8317387
>Rainy

Faggot.
>>
>>8320884
excellent. but i actually prefer:

They set a Slamhound on Turner's trail in New Delhi, slotted it to his pheromones and the color of his hair. It caught up with him on a street called Chandni Chauk and came scrambling for his rented BMW through a forest of bare brown legs and pedicab tires. Its core was a kilogram of recrystallized hexogene and flaked TNT.....

It took the Dutchman and his team three months to put Turner together again. They cloned a square meter of skin for him, grew it on slabs of collagen and shark-cartilage polysaccharides. They bought eyes and genitals on the open market. The eyes were green.
>>
>In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

I like it because it's almost kind of a run on, but it's not.
>>
>>8318941
Last one is gorgeous too

>"(...) porque las estirpes condenadas a cien años de soledad no tenían una segunda oportunidad sobre la tierra."
>>
>>8317304
Merge to afraid are people.
>>
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new.
>>
>>8317304
"The house which the Maias came to inhabit in Lisbon, in the autumn of 1875, was known in the area around S. Francisco de Paula street, and in the entire neighborhood of Janelas Verdes, as the house of Ramalhete, or simply Ramalhete."
>>
>>8317662
Made me put down the book for six months before deciding to give it another shot.
>>
>I wanted to let you girls know that I'm a real messy bitch- a liar, a scammer. I love robbery AND fraud. I'm a messy bitch who lives for drama.
>>
File: 082e5f06ea8612337f590f.jpg (54KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
082e5f06ea8612337f590f.jpg
54KB, 500x333px
>Always historicize! This slogan—the one absolute and we may even say "transhistorical" imperative of all dialectical thought—will unsurprisingly turn out to be the moral of The Political Unconscious as well. But, as the traditional dialectic teaches us, the historicizing operation can follow two distinct paths, which only ultimately meet in the same place: the path of the object and the path of the subject, the historical origins of the things themselves and that more intangible historicity of the concepts and categories by which we attempt to understand those things.
>>
It was a dark and stormy night...
>>
>>8317304
Vine a Comala porque me dijeron que acá vivía mi padre, un tal Pedro Páramo.
>>
>>8317903
Loved that book as a kid
>>
If I were not perfectly sure of my power to write and of my marvelous ability to express ideas with the utmost grace and vividness . . . So, more or less, I had thought of beginning my tale.
>>
Grandpa died last week, and now he's buried in the rocks.
>>
It was love at first sight.
>>
>>8318410
Reading this now. Difficult compared with Light In August, my only other faulkner
>>
I'm pretty sure there was a Stephen King book that went, "A clown bit off my penis after offering me a free blowjob, what a dick."
>>
File: Judge_Holden.jpg (111KB, 795x1005px) Image search: [Google]
Judge_Holden.jpg
111KB, 795x1005px
>"See the child. He is pale and thin, he wears a thin and ragged linen shirt. He stokes the scullery fire. Outside lie dark turned fields with rags of snow and darker woods beyond that harbor yet a few last wolves. His folk are known for hewers of wood and drawers of water but in truth his father has been a schoolmaster. He lies in drink, he quotes from poets whose names are now lost. The boy crouches by the fire and watches him."
>>
>This book sets out to study some οf the ways in which the present age appears essentially as an age οf dissolution.
>>
Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai per una selva oscura
ché la diritta via era smarrita.
>>
>>8317494
I <3 u, watch the slint documentary if you haven't, is pretty aight
>>
Here is a story that has lain dormant for seven hundred years.
>>
Once again in the space reserved for him in the Ecole Militaire car park was occupied and Colonel Chaudrey did not know where to leave his little Citroen.

>>8318507
eyyy
>>
>>8320884
this is actually good, despite cyberpunk being gay
>>
© Gollancz 2011
>>
Mine has been a life of much shame.
>>
Sup, the name's Ish
>>
>>8317317
Amen.
>>
It is possible I already had some presentiment of my future.
>>
>Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Pure literature at it's finest.
>>
I have a couple of favorites, but I'm going to go over just one line for a few:

>For the heart, life is simple: it beats for as long as it can. Then it stops.

>Kublai Khan does not necessarily believe everything Marco Polo says when he describes the cities visited on his expeditions, but the emperor of the Tartars does continue listening to the young Venetian with greater attention and curiosity than he shows any other messenger or explorer of his.

>I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the conjunction of a mirror and an encyclopedia.

>One's-Self I sing, a simple separate person, Yet utter the word Democratic, the word En-Masse.
>>
My name is Ishmael
>>
>>8325680
i read some of the first harry potter book last summer. it was pretty effective for what it set out to accomplish. it was gripping. i dont know why it gets so much shit here. i guess because everyone on this board is 18 and trying to find their place
>>
>>8325229
Is that pic supposed to be of the Judge? Looks more like the alien from Prometheus. I always imagined him like Varys from Game of Thrones but taller and skinnier.
>>
>>8319578

good anon
>>
"From a little after two oclock until almost sundown of the long still hot weary dead September afternoon they sat in what Miss Coldfield still called the office because her father had called it that — a dim hot airless room with the blinds all closed and fastened for forty-three summers because when she was a girl someone had believed that light and moving air carried heat and that dark was always cooler, and which (as the sun shone fuller and fuller on that side of the house) became latticed with yellow slashes full of dust motes which Quentin thought of as being flecks of the dead old dried paint itself blown inward from the scaling blinds as wind might have blown them."

That was so easy. The description is so immaculate.
>>
>My mom died today, or was it yesterday?lol
>>
>>8317304
Once upon a time...
Theres your fucking opening
>>
>>8324706
Came here to post this
>>
It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.
>>
>In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of God hovering above? At least it is true that man has no control; even over his own will.
>>
>>8317352
It's just like my animes/vidya!
>>
>>8326859
sounds more like Logan's Run to me although I know that's not it
>>
>>8325744
It's supposed to be him, as he is described as extremely pale and hairless. But you know, it's just an artistic depiction.
>>
>>8326859
>implying there's anything wrong with that
Why are you even here?
>>
>>8326867
I know this is bait, but you're still a pleb.
>>
Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai per una selva oscura,
ché la diritta via era smarrita.
>>
"Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board."
>>
Riverun something something
>>
OY FUCKING CUMSWAPPER
>>
I looked up because of the laughter, and kept looking because of the girls.
>>
>>8317730
This is a pretty good one desu
>>
>>8317903
But anon that's the last line loved those books
>>
"Sing, Muse, of the rage of Achilles"
>>
"And then he was a catcher in rye."
>>
>>8317304
The opening paragraph of the the Critique of Pure Reason.
>>
>>8326919
>capital 'r'
>>
>>8321995
Hey, I like those cat memes too!
>>
The way one can point to, isn't the way unchanging
The name one can speak of, isn't the name unchanging
From the nameless comes the whole
From the named comes the many
>>
>>8317304

'She was as negative as he was positive; together, they formed a strong bond.'
>>
>>8328054
'Iconic,' you heretic, not 'ionic.'
>>
me llamo ishmael
>>
>>8325680

This one from Goblet of Fire is good too:

>The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it "the Riddle House," even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
>>
>Also, es fängt damit an, dass ich bei Fisch-Gosch in List auf Sylt stehe und ein Jever aus der Flasche trinke.
>>
Aujourd'hui, maman est morte.
>>
It was a silence of three parts...
>>
>Who's there?

Tied with

>I am seated in an office, surrounded by heads and bodies.
>>
>>8317304
My name is Jonas.
>>
Guy walks into a bar
>>
My name is Luka
I live on the second floor
>>
>>8317317
>that terrible purple prose
>>
>>8327074
"Freeze frame: that's me; You'll never guess how I got into this one, so let me begin by telling you about my totally rad neighbor, The Great Gatsby."
>>
>No lolita

For shame /lit/

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap,at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, a certain initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style."
>>
>>8325198
good song
>>
>>8326849
I think that is not the opening, but... ok.
>>
It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday, and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me.
>>
One cannot raise walls against what has been forgotten
>>
>>8324706
based
>>
>>8329480

Earthly Powers was amazing.
>>
dear diary,
>>
'sup, name's ishmael
>>
>>8329281
I dont think you know what youre on about
>>
>>8317304
>The building was on fire, and it wasn’t my fault.
>>
>>8318450
I chuckled, I must admit.
>>
File: 9781557731135.jpg (19KB, 176x280px) Image search: [Google]
9781557731135.jpg
19KB, 176x280px
>>8317304
>The air was electric the day the thief crossed the city, certain that tonight, after so many weeks of frustration, he would finally locate the card-player.

Best horror novel of all time. Not sure if I should be outraged it was never adapted for celluloid, or relieved because they undoubtedly would have fucked it up. A few ideas on how it could be done right...

>Director: William Friedkin, with Michael Mann and Brian DePalma a close second and third. Aside from directing one of the 3 scariest movies of all time (TCM and The Shining nudging out Friedkin's Exorcist by the slimmest of margins), WF also proved himself a master auteur of tense, creepy ambiance with films like Bug and Killer Joe.

>Whitehead: Gotta be Anthony Hopkins. I pictured him as Joe throughout the novel. When people talk about actors being 'tailor-made' for a role, this is what they're talking about.

>Marty: Leo would be ideal, but I doubt they could get him. His inclusion would probably have this project viewed as a DiCaprio movie rather than a balls-out Clive Barker horror film. That said, give it to Damian Lewis or Hardy.

>Breer: Digging up Randy Quaid would be ideal. Since he's too busy running from illuminati assasins, give it to John Goodman or dude that played Remus from Boardwalk Empire.

>Carys: Sophie Turner. Brings in crossover appeal from GoT, and doesn't really have to do much. Prime Brittany Murphy would have been ideal

>Mamoulian: Walken. No-brainer.

>Those two Jesus freak nutjobs that go around stabbing people to death and shitting on their corpses: Michael Pitt and Paul Dano. Genius casting and the characters that transcend this movie from 'badass horror movie' to one of the best fucking horror movies ever made.

Read this novel after the Books of Blood in the early 90's back in hs and always assumed it was just a matter of time before we got a movie adaptation. Quarter-century later and I'm still waiting.

Anyone else read this fantastic, horrifying book? Thoughts?
>>
>>8317494
Flint
>>
>>8317662
What book?
>>
Mother died today.
>>
Once a bitch, always a bitch, what I say.

My English teacher looked me dead in the eyes when he read that to the class, one of my favorites.
>>
I was born in a small village.
>>
Ay, it's ya boy da raskol down in da burg an I gotsa crazy thought up in dis bitch word nigga imma cap dis ol' bitch an take dem chains an gold an shiet na wham sayin?
>>
>>8317304
People are afraid to merge.
>>
High up on a rocky promontory sat an electric monk on a bored horse.
>>
“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.”
>>
>>8317304
A man's opportunities are never exhausted so long as other
men (who are not his friends) possess millions of acres and
thousands of tons of gold.
>>
>>8317317
I need to reread Crumley. It's been years.
>>
>>8317356
my nigga, Camus's Etranger is my bedtime reading
>>
Gregor Samsa slept badly and woke up but he was actually a bug now.
> no one has posted this one yet
>>
Who is John Galt?
>>
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

I'm actually Max Fedora and think the Bible is otherwise petty junk, but it's got cultural capital and universal recognisability like nothing else.
>>
>>8328106
Thanks anon, you've inspired me to write an essay regarding the first line of each of the 7 HP books.
>>
>>8321753
>>8334081
I hope this isn't an obscure meme I'm not aware of. I was gonna post this.
Sometimes you just want to read about super rich schizoid kids bored and coked out of their minds. Wonder if he's for sale. Disappear here. Afraid merge freeway.
>>
And I heard em say, nothin's ever promised tomorrow today
>>
>>8334966
>I'm actually Max Fedora and think the Bible is otherwise petty junk
It's not that you're an atheist but that you're such a pleb to think something like that. You need to return to reddit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RjYcqSoqzU
>>
>>8321471
Fuck yes! I cried on this ending.
>>
They call me dumb but I'm just blending in.
>>
File: joyce490.jpg (130KB, 490x350px) Image search: [Google]
joyce490.jpg
130KB, 490x350px
>>8333722

Portrait of the Riddler as a Young Hooligan
>>
This is the bright candlelit room where the life-timers are stored – shelf upon shelf of them, squat hourglasses, one for every living person, pouring their fine sand from the future into the past. The accumulated hiss of the falling grains makes the room roar like the sea.

This is the owner of the room, stalking through it with a preoccupied air. His name is Death.
>>
You had soap, a towel, shampoo, a washcloth, a brush. Everything was set.
>>
It was so quiet, one of the killers would later say, that you could hear the sound of ice rattling in the cocktail shakers in the homes way down the canyon.
>>
Might be paraphrasing but I've always liked
>The sky above the port was the color of a television set, tuned to a dead channel.
Maybe its not the best but I'm fond of it
>>
>>8317518
>opening line
>>
>>8318552
This
>>
>>8326929
>monochromatic
>>
For a long time, I went to bed early.
>>
>>8329316
Bit pretentious?
>>
See the child.
>>
>>8317352
I hate this one
>>
>>8329316
>>8339031
Yeah, I really dislike the opening of Lolita. It seems really tryhard.
>OK, starting my book now guiz
>Better make the first line real gud
>>
>>8333679
I'm going to check this out. Never read any Clive Barker
>>
What about best closing lines of books?

>And we never drank again
>>
Old Marley was as dead as a doornail.
>>
time for a pineapple diet
>>
>>8336863
I have never been to reddit.
I would not know what to do if I went there.

I find the bible to be a charming book of violent peculiar (and sometimes sexy) fairy tales and a keystone in understanding who our ancestors were and why they did the sorts of hilarious fucked up things they did.

But I don't think such a book of inconsistent highly derivative nonsense is valuable in and of itself; unless you're seeing at as art.

I mean, it's a shitty moral guide, and modern day believers simply pick and choose the commandments they feel like following; when was the last time you mixed fabrics you putz?
>>
The knowledge or knowing which is at the start or is immediately our object cannot be anything else but immediate knowledge itself, a knowledge of the immediate or of what simply is.
>>
>>8339437
It's wool and linen, not "mixed fabrics"

Try reading the fucking book before criticizing it next time, "you putz"
>>
>>8317304
>Once upon a time

Anyone who disagrees needs to review the word iconic. That line alone resonates "story" to the majority of western world, which would be the majority of anons.
>>
File: 1460909779654.jpg (380KB, 1024x939px) Image search: [Google]
1460909779654.jpg
380KB, 1024x939px
Once upon a time and a very good time it was a moocow came across the sky.
>>
>>8339985
saved to my cute kids folder. ty
>>
It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York.
>>
File: imgsrc.ru_32898796XZK.jpg (80KB, 1024x710px) Image search: [Google]
imgsrc.ru_32898796XZK.jpg
80KB, 1024x710px
>>8340011
I hope it's only females.
>>
It began as a mistake.
>>
>>8317304
It was the year when they finally immanentized the Eschaton. On April 1, the world's great powers came closer to nuclear war than ever before, all because of an obscure island named Fernando Poo.
>>
>>8317356
>Translated camus

Ugh.
>>
>>8340412
[different poster]
I've tried to read camus several times, but my french is only mediocre, and I keep giving up after a few paragraphs
>>
>>8338878

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
>>
>>8340439
>Foreigners reading camus
>>
>>8340457
>>8338878

SOrry if I sound dumb, but by "dead channel" does it mean just black, or that sort of rapid black and white static?
Thread posts: 238
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.