[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do figures of speech works in non romance languages like japanese?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1466034407029.png (21KB, 494x400px) Image search: [Google]
1466034407029.png
21KB, 494x400px
how do figures of speech works in non romance languages like japanese?
>>
Just like they do in romance languages.
>>
>>8316161
>like Japanese
Like English, the language you're speaking.

There isn't one set of rules for Romance languages and one for ALL OTHER languages.
>>
>>8316175
>>8316181
I'm trying to understand how the ones that changes a word spelling works with spelling.
there are clearly diferences, by example there's almost no ryme in japanese because it sounds bad.
>>
>>8316188
>I'm trying to understand how the ones that changes a word spelling works with spelling.
What?

>there are clearly diferences, by example there's almost no ryme in japanese because it sounds bad.
Japanese is phonotactically one of the simplest languages on the planet, with only 5 vowel sounds. It rhymes all. the. fucking. time.

See also: every Japanese song

What are you actually asking and why aren't you asking it in the Japanese language thread on /jp/?
>>
>>8316205
my questions are mostly to japanese because I'm curious.

I meant, how the figures of speech that changes spelling of the word works with kanjis, like chinese or japanese.
>>
>>8316215
Your question is incoherent. What kind of figure of speech are you referring to?

Provide an example in English (not a romance language by the way) of what you mean, because I don't think you mean what you're saying you mean.
>>
>>8316225
I can't find the name but I remember reading about figures of speech that changes the spelling of words, like adding syllabes at the begging, the end or the middle.

clearly I'm curious how does this work with a kanji system like chinese or japanese.
>>
>>8316249
>being incoherent in your first language
>expecting to understand a simple answer
kek
>>
File: 1452988370853.png (39KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1452988370853.png
39KB, 300x300px
OP you need to fucking learn English so maybe we can understand what the fuck you're trying to say.
>>
>>8316259
I'm trying bro.
english is not my native language.

>>8316263
there are some figures of speech that changes the spelling of a word by adding syllabes to the beggining, ending or in the middle of words.

how does this work with languages that don't use alphabets, like chinese?
>>
>>8316249
You mean affixation? That's a question of syntax and morphology - not a "figure of speech" (necessarily semantic in nature).

Anyway, Japanese operates in a few ways that are similar to English. For example, in Japanes the verb (at the end, since Japanese is SOV) is inflected by a suffix just like in English. It gets a bit fuzzy about what constitutes a discrete "word" in Japanese compared to the simplicity of English (spaces separating words) but from a generative syntax perspective it doesn't make much of a difference.

Japanese also allows for significantly more ambiguity between the written code and the spoken code - inflecting certain words can change the way they're spoken but not alter the way they're written.

I strongly advise you to pick up a book, in your native language (which I'm going to go out on a limb and say isn't English) on Japanese syntax or morphology to get a better understanding.

And this is completely fucking off-topic for /lit/ so I'm going to go ahead and sage this thread.
>>
>>8316271
I mean something like this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epenthesis
>>
>>8316271
Linguistics is relevant to /lit/ IMO
>>
>>8316280
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epenthesis#In_Japanese

Looks like you found what you need.

>>8316294
It is? I may come here more often then. Grammar gives me a big hard one.
>>
>>8316320
thanks.

I just couldn't graps how could a word spelling change if they use kanjis.

anyway, can we talk about figures of speech in non european languages?
>>
>>8316330
Please, please stop calling it "figures of speech"

And how much more non-European do you want to get than Japanese?
>>
>>8316334
I dunno, there's like thousand of languages that aren't european.

how many figures of speech exists in all of them?

>stop calling them
why?
>>
8/8
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.