[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you ever think about how much better life would be if you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1466191370081.jpg (47KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1466191370081.jpg
47KB, 850x400px
Do you ever think about how much better life would be if you were content with knowing nothing? I think pursuit of knowledge just leads to feeling empty; as you learn more, you become less and less satisfied with what you know and the more you realize you know nothing.

I look at the average person who does nothing but socialize and engage in mindless activities and I realize that he is happier than me. This I realize, despite the fact that I study several hours a day and endlessly pursue self-improvement, which is something that never occurs to him.

I don't mean to sound egotistical or depressed, but this is something that has plagued me ever since I started college several years ago. I feel restless and like I am completely wasting my life if I am not constantly engaged in an activity that I deem "worth my time". I get a constant nagging feeling if I watch television, play video games, or go out drinking with friends.

Are there any books that address these thoughts?
>>
Read Faust.
>>
>>8315681
They are ten times smarter than you.
>>
>>8315708
Thank you for contributing.
>>
Wouldn't you say it makes a bit of sense though? Everyone's lives have arbitrary meaning individual to their consciousness. The self-aware person who pursues knowledge becomes cognizant of the absurdities that entail our existences, and within those realizations it leaves a itch in your soul.
>>
To read too many books can be harmful - Mao
>>
>>8315681
no
>>
Happy retards is mostly a meme.

Once you do some social work you realize dumbness is in no way coordinated with happiness.

They might as well be totally unrelated phenomena altogether.

You can be a happy retard or a miserable retard, and same goes for genius.

You have more control over other aspects of your life the smarter you are however.
>>
>>8315681
Post hoc ergo propter hoc

You're miserable because you're miserable not because muh I have too much knowledge of this cruel cruel world!!!
>>
>>8315681

The Myth of Sisyphus, my kind anon.

Spoiler: there's no way out. So you better take pride and joy in your intellectual pursuits.
>>
Faust, definitely
>>
>>8315681
Sincerely: this is why you eventually turn mystic. I recommend John of Ruusbroec.
>>
>>8315681
Dostoevsky, notes from the underground. The main character refers directly to what you're talking about as "men of action"
>>
>>8315693
Does Faust handle this theme?
>>
File: IndianJones.gif (426KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
IndianJones.gif
426KB, 500x400px
>>8315681
How do you hold yourself as higher than others and at the same time obsess about self-improvement?

If you enjoy it, that's different; given you said you don't want to sound egotistical or depressed, that's exactly how you come off.

Time is meant to be wasted, find something you actually enjoy. Being better than others as a hobby would be fucking miserable.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.