[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

World Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (25KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
25KB, 225x225px
Let's have a world literature thread, so that means no american authors allowed. Let's try to make it more contemporary-leaning, say, the last 20-30 years. Discussion, recommendation and sharing welcome!

My current reads:

>Rafael Chirbes, On The Edge (in spanish)
Got it from a rec thread here, but I'm a bit disappointed. The writer is extremely repetitive, using 4 or 5 consecutive sentences to say the exact same thing using different analogies, all of which are rather bland. He seems to think that throwing out random lists of 'exotic' foods and animals makes his writing more colorful. Will continue reading to see if it gets better.

>Mathias Enard, Parle-leur de batailles, de rois et d'éléphants (in spanish)
Recent winner of the Goncourt Prix. This book is a quick read, fun sometimes, but I'm halfway through and there is still no hint of conflict anywhere, no emotions, no struggles. The book follows Michelangelo as he travels to Istanbul to build a bridge at the request of the sultan. Instead of doing that, he spends his time drawing elephants, walking around the streets and watching hermaphrodites doing the belly dance. Fun, but I expected something more substantial. Waiting for his last book, Compass, to come out in spanish.

>Fernando del Paso, News from the Empire (in spanish)
Solid book. In the 1860's the Habsburg empire conquers Mexico and sets up Maximilian as emperor, whose reign will be very short lived. Great command of the language, great changes in style from chapter to chapter, and a wide scope, depicting both imperial daily life back in europe, struggles with the natives in Mexico, and the political shitfest going on between the two places.
>>
File: juarezsm.png (668KB, 750x2324px) Image search: [Google]
juarezsm.png
668KB, 750x2324px
>>8315347
>>Fernando del Paso, News from the Empire (in spanish)
>Solid book. In the 1860's the Habsburg empire conquers Mexico and sets up Maximilian as emperor, whose reign will be very short lived. Great command of the language, great changes in style from chapter to chapter, and a wide scope, depicting both imperial daily life back in europe, struggles with the natives in Mexico, and the political shitfest going on between the two places.
>>
>>8315347
Let's not.
>>
is there any italian contemp lit, other that that Elena Ferrante everyone keeps blabbering on about?
>>
>America is not part of the world
>>
Haha so how about that Harry Potter you guys?
>>
>>8315852
Erri De Luca
>>
>>8315963
It is but the rest of the board only talks about Unitedstatians
>>
World Literature is such an stupid concept. What makes it different from "normal" literature?
>>
>>8316016
Its' from the World.
>>
>>8316016
It's just a way of saying: Let's talk about something other than pleb american lit
>>
>>8316027
this, can we have one thread where we don't talk about DFW/Pinecone/Gass/Gaddis/random american flavor of the month?
>>
I just love The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy from Doughlas Adams and the whole series. I mean the answer of everything should be a number ? You can fly if you just fall down and miss the ground ? And the humans at this planed are the progeny of the useles idiots from another planed ? Awsome 0_0
pls forgive my bad english =)
>>
>>8315347
Okay lets talk about British authors
>>
>>8316098
Yeah, let's talk about old castles and wigs.
>>
File: image.jpg (332KB, 1227x2038px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
332KB, 1227x2038px
Teodor Parnicki - postmodern historical fiction, where characters are discussing philosophical problems that were not yet discovered at that times. His books are taking place in very different times from ancient rome to beginning of Poland country (very interesting times imo)
>>
>>8316098
british, canadians, south africans, australians, new zealanders, whatever, as long as it's not the same old american authors.
>>
>>8315347
>don't post authors from one specific country guise!!

>posts authors from one specific country
>>
>>8316185
lol wut

the three authors posted in the OP are from Spain, France and Mexico, respectively.
>>
>>8316251
so fucking what dude?!
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.