[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mythology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 292195.jpg (43KB, 301x475px) Image search: [Google]
292195.jpg
43KB, 301x475px
Reading this and im enjoying so far, and i wonder is there is some other collections of mythology of cultures from around the world? I know about the greek one but what about china or the aztecs?
>>
>>8314459
Does Oxford have one of Greece? I love mythology and have never gotten around to look for collections.
>>
File: horribleHistories_bloodcurdling3.jpg (194KB, 1727x932px) Image search: [Google]
horribleHistories_bloodcurdling3.jpg
194KB, 1727x932px
>>8314459
I spent my childhood reading these.

Learning the history of ancient civilisations necessitates learning about their belief systems. It's impossible to read Plato without understanding what it meant to live in Attic Greece and to worship at the temple of Apollo, or what relationship the Oracle had with divine truth in the mind of the people.

Amusingly enough we fully understand that we can't know a person or people - in a historical sense - without engaging with what they believe to be true - if someone shoots up the place while believing in the concept of Jihad and maryrdom from Islam, mainstream society doesn't want to engage with it and in this instance likes to pretend that religion is unimportant.

Makes you think...
>>
>>8314485
>cut-throat celts
lel
>>
>>8314459
I recommend you Walter Krickeberg books
>>
>>8314459
China and The Aztecs: there's a nice name for a late 60's band.
>>
>>8314485
>Literally nothing from Asia
>Saxons
>Normans
>Brits and British Empire and Victorians

NO
>>
>>8314485
these books are shit though

Deary isn't even a historian (he's actually a drama teacher) and is also a very silly man

Terry Deary has said of historians: "They are nearly as seedy and devious as politicians..They pick on a particular angle and select the facts to prove their case and make a name for themselves... They don’t write objective history... Eventually you can see through them all. They all come with a twist." [9]

In 2013, Deary spoke out against public libraries, saying that they "have been around too long", are "no longer relevant" and have "had their day". He argued: "we've got this idea that we've got an entitlement to read books for free, at the expense of authors, publishers and council tax payers... We don't expect to go to a food library to be fed. The car industry would collapse if we went to car libraries for free use of Porsches... If I sold the book I'd get 30p per book. I get six grand, [when] I should be getting £180,000."

"Everything I learned after 11 was a waste of time. Trigonometry, Boyle's law: it's never been of any use to me. They should have been teaching me the life skills I was going to need, such as building relationships, parenting and managing money. I didn't have a clue about any of these things at 18. Schools need to change."
>>
>>8314739
um I don't think it fucking matters whether he's a historian or not.

historians are fucking liers, Deary just wants us to know the truth, no matter what you brainwashing historian lovers think.
>>
>>8314739
>"Everything I learned after 11 was a waste of time. Trigonometry, Boyle's law: it's never been of any use to me. They should have been teaching me the life skills I was going to need, such as building relationships, parenting and managing money. I didn't have a clue about any of these things at 18. Schools need to change."
This is objectively true.
>>
>>8314459
>collections of mythology of cultures from around the world
>>
>>8314748
please be ironic
>>8314756
retard
>>
>>8314756
No it's a meme spread by the retards sat at the back of the class (I sat at the back of the class but I was a smart cool kid) who are to lazy to learn Pythagoras theorem (which is fucking easy peasy) and go whining about how they're not taught how to use a bank card.
>>
Prose Edda and Elder Edda for Norse mythology.
>>
>>8314739
I feel like banging my head against a lamp post until the greyish-pink stuff inside oozes out and the world becomes dark, having read all that
>>
>>8314459
What're you looking for?

There is absolutely no need to know about Aztec culture if you want insight into 'higher' literature or anything that is remotely meaningful in the grand scheme of aesthetics on this planet. Aztec culture was basically socioeconomic policy; there was such a fucktonne of subjugated peoples that their sacrificial religion was population control. In turn, everyone loathed them and sided with the Spanish to flip Tenochtitlan inside out. There's no philosophical insights to be made in studying Aztec culture. Mexicans who're proud Aztecs are retarded because it's more likely than not the vast majority of their ancestors at the time hated Aztecs rather than were partial to Aztecs. However, if you're interested in them for entertainment, Leon-Portilla's 'The Broken Spears' is a good account of the fall of Aztec, and its' comprehensiveness of detail gives you pretty much everything you need to know about its' culture.

As for the Chinese, I'd recommend secondary rather than primary recounts. All translations are shitty because of the complete independence of linguistic development of Chinese and European languages, and it is extremely easy to misinterpret and misconceive with a continental lens. The 'mandate of heaven' would take a while to understand even reading secondary sources. Chinese culture is not theistic and has not been in the way Western criteria understands it, and is more so primed around a philosophical Stoicesque basis that you know as Confucianism. I'd recommend Sources of Chinese Tradition by the Colombia University Press. Kissinger's 'On China' is an interesting insight as to how Maoist and modern China is very much culturally 'Chinese' despite Mao's specious rhetoric on destroying it
>>
>>8314471
A good starting point is Edith Hamilton's book 'mythology' which has the Greek and Roman myths, and some Nordic ones as well. Once you're done, move on to the Homeric epics
>>
>>8314799
hahaha
>>
File: Quintesson Justice.gif (4MB, 218x272px) Image search: [Google]
Quintesson Justice.gif
4MB, 218x272px
>>8314459
american indians myths and legends
myths and legends of japan
legends of the world
myths and legends middle ages
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.