[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best translation of The Divine Comedy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

What's the best translation of The Divine Comedy?
>>
I wonder how many times I've seen this thread...Hmnn...

Anyway, I reject whenever students call Dante's work Divine. It should be just Comedy. That's what Dante calls it, and for a number of reasons. First, it describes the ultimate trajectory of the poem which ends in happiness, working from catastrophe to cohesion. Secondly, Dante adopts the vernacular, the so-called vulgar, Italian tongue, rather than Latin which was at the time the language of philosophy and great cultural exchange. In this sense he is being humble, rather than having a high-style like an elegiac tragedy. Thirdly, the implication is that there is no neat, clear separation in his hierarchy from the high, middle, and low. The Pilgrim's ascendence to see the face of God and comes back to earth to tell of the Love that moves the sun and the other stars is really a sign that the low can become the high and the high can become the low. That which is humble such as the experience he is describing can find extraordinary religious ecstasy which can convey revelation, not being the revelation itself but the exposition of it and more than all its lessons.

PS I prefer John D. Sinclair's Oxford tomes for a more prosaic translation, and Mark Musa's translation for something more lyrical.
>>
File: thechaaart.jpg (867KB, 1400x5316px) Image search: [Google]
thechaaart.jpg
867KB, 1400x5316px
here's a chart that might help you
Also want to ask this, if you don't speak Italian is English generally the best option for a translation? Just wondering if French or Spanish may be better
>>
don't bother, it's not that funny
>>
>>8312601
Is this pasta?
>>
>>8312662
Not yet.
>>
>>8312601
>I wonder how many times I've seen this thread...Hmnn...

Really? I've been on here for about a year now and only seen maybe 2 or 3 of this thread but usually they got archived before anyone posted.
>>
>>8312767
https://warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=comedy+translation&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.