[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DFW love

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: david_foster_wallace.jpg (214KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
david_foster_wallace.jpg
214KB, 660x440px
Just because fuck the hate thread.
>>
>>8311191
My dear friend, when you reach your early twenties, as I have, you come to realize that life is short. We're allotted limited hours here on this pale blue dot we call Earth, so we best not waste them. That's why when it comes to reading, I read the best and only the best. And the best is David Foster Wallace. I strenuously urge everyone on this board who's reading this to pick up Infinite Jest when you get the chance. Just remember: Wallace said, "Fiction's about what it is to be a fucking human being." He didn't say, "Fiction's about what it is to be a fucking Witch-king of Angmar."
>>
>>8311191
There's one thing and one thing only that the mods could do to immensely improve the board, instantly, overnight, and that's facilitate more threads about David Foster Wallace. Create them, nurture the ones that exist, guide the discussions, and make sure they stay on track. If we're here to discuss literature, ultimately, we are here to discuss David Foster Wallace. There is no way for a person to grasp the full implications of Infinite Jest and not realize this. We're talking about the smartest man who ever lived. You must realize this. It's not a joke anymore. We're seeing the world degenerate further and further into chaos, and we're standing by and watching it happen. You want to fix this board? You want to fix the world? You want to fix your life? You need only take one step: read Infinite Jest. There is no substitute for hard work, and that's what Wallace requires of you if you are to understand him. If you are to understand not just him, but the world. We're not talking about escapist literature, fan fiction, genre nonsense. We're talking about saving our lives. We're talking about meditating on God. We're talking about communing with the primary presence. This is not an issue to be treated lightly.
>>
"Reading requires solitude and an extended period of an unusual sort of attention."
- DFW, in an interview
>>
>>8311191
>you will never have an intimate conversation with Dave about film literature or music, or even the very human condition itself.

hold me bros its getting dark
>>
>>8311824
iktf
>ywn be DFW's son
>>
File: 1466284601508.jpg (22KB, 450x496px) Image search: [Google]
1466284601508.jpg
22KB, 450x496px
>>8311317
>>
>>8311191
i literally only come here for stack threads and DFW memes
>>
>>8311317
I really truly admire his lit..

but don't give him all that credit. He knew he had fans. He knew how fucking smart he was. Yet he still goes and commits suicide? Have you ever researched into the type of person this guy was? He was fucking shit. He had no morals. A family he'd spent many days and weeks with hooked him up with a girl from a church and after a year or so of dating her he cheated on her. And then turned around and just cold shouldered the family.

Prize his authorship but don't prize his character but he's fucking shit. He knew he had people looking up to him. He turns hope into despair.

What so if I read IJ and believe it's a communion with great philosophy or even God as you say, then I'll follow the same road DFW paved. A road of misery, corruptive morals, and despair.

He's not that fucking great holy shit. Get over him.
>>
>"Fiction's about what it is to be a fucking human being."

You guys needed Dave to tell you this? That fiction is a part of the Humanities?

He sounds like such an idiot when he's not babbling about irrelevant math concepts, which is probably why he does so often.
>>
>>8313315
kek
>He sounds like such an idiot when he's not babbling about irrelevant math concepts, which is probably why he does so often.

This is what he holds dearly onto because he sounds like a annoying prose lacking retard any elsewhere.
>>
>>8313345
>>8313315

He also says things like " and like most seemingly trite aphorisms this turns out to be true" and then he goes on to explain why, and it's usually pretty good.
>>
>>8313288
hmmm, I think that's wrong. I think he's Orin basically but just because he did some shitty things in life that doesn't mean he didn't learn from them or that his work will lead you to make the same mistakes. The more I think about it the more retarded what you said seems.
>>
>>8313565
don't base him off a character of his book dumbass. Base him off his virtues of what he actually did in his life you minnow twat.
>>
>>8313668
I'm saying Orin's pathological dealings with women seem very well drawn, wondering as to connection.
>>
>>8313694
You haven't even researched anything about him I presume. If you're drawing silly assumptions like that.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.