/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nonfiction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (60KB, 500x351px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 500x351px
Thinking about reading some nonfiction. Is this a solid list? http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-nonfiction/
Any bonus recs would be appreciated.
>>
Read Plato, my man
>>
>>8309505
>http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-nonfiction/

those are some weirdo lists. But I don't know how you'd ever create a 100 top non-fiction list.

I'd disregard the reader's list, looks like trolls managed to subvert it.

The only books that are on there that I really dig are the Structure of Scientific Revolutions, Ways of Seeing and the Autobiography of Malcolm X
>>
shit lists. the oe on the left has a couple of decent ones tho.

>scientology
>2nd place

lel
>>
Some of my favorites

The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiesen
Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon
Collected Essays by George Orwell
The Pursuit of the Millenium by Norman Cohn
>>
>>8309505
Jesus, look at him. The very poor mans Orson Welles.
>>
>>8309505
the best nonfiction books are about science and philosophy imho. so books like The Disappearing Spoon, The Violinist's Thumb, Alchemy of the Heavens, and Botany of Desire are all great nonfiction books. i think this genre is what people will look back on as 21st century philosophy.
>>
I like the obvious Scientology influence on the right list (Dianetics, Psychiatry: the ultimate betrayal etc.). Are they still brigading?

Here are some recs:

The Unwinding, on the economic downfall of the US told through the lives of a few burgerpeople

A Guide for the Perplexed, a bunch of interviews with Werner Herzog about his art and life

Voices from Chernobyl, novelized collected interviews with survivors of Chernobyl

Both biographies from Ray Monk: Wittgenstein: Duty of Genius, and Oppenheimer: A life inside the center

Clive James' Cultural Amnesia, a collection of vignettes on the lives of people who laid the foundation for modern Western culture, focuses on people alive around 1900, 1910

The entire Penguin History of Europe, with The Pursuit of Glory being the best one in terms of writing and structure

Thinking, Fast and Slow: summarizes Kahnemann's lifework on behavioral science, and all the weird ways our own minds trick us

Gray's The Silence of Animals: a diatribe against modern civilization, "progress is a myth"
>>
>>8309505
What are you interested in, OP? History? Philosophy? Language?
>>
>Ayn Rand.
>Top 100 non-fiction.
>Appears multiple times.

Wew lad.

This is a trash list. Start with the Greeks.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.