[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>magical realism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: what no way.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
what no way.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>magical realism
>>
the best genre
>>
SF/F for people too embarrassed to say they write SF/F
>>
>>8309362
>borges
>calvino
>márquez
>pynchon
>cortázar
>murakami
>sf/f
OK KID
>>
>>8309371
Borges can definitely qualify as SF in many of his stories. I haven't read the others
>>
>>8309353
Dude ghosts lmao
>>
>>8309371
To be fair all of those writers deviate so far from the SF/F norm that it would almost be misleading to classify them that way. I feel like "magical realism" is a less pretentious way to say abstract/experimental literary fiction. Tho it is true many of those writers could be correctly classified under science fiction or fantasy if we disregarded their relation to the existing works of the genres and based it only on the genre description and maybe SF/F would be better off if its regulars were exposed to these better examples of it.
>>
threatened r u
>>
Ya know I don't even want this genre anymore, I just wanna get to the beach.
>>
Who is the GenericWhiteMale of authors?

Some keywords to help
>Homebaked
>Beach
>Feigned disbelief
>>
I always thought it was just another names for a fabulist approach. Reads kinda like a dreamscape.
>>
>>8309482
GRRM
>>
dont judge them. they lives are as absurd as their 'art'.
>>
>>8309353
B-but Calvino is g-great!
>>
>>8309353
latin americans BTFO
>>
>>8309547
Jorge Luis shits on Italo, sorry
>>
>>8309678
True in general. But I LOVED Cosmicomics.
>>
>>8309353
yeah fuck off anon
one hundred years of solitude is one of the best books ever written
>>
>>8310082
Objectively false
>muh Remedios
>>
HERMANN HESSE
READ STEPPENWOLF
>>
>>8309371
nah he's right, they're good sci-fi/fantasy,

ie the dorks who read WH40k or Brandon Sanderson wouldn't read it
>>
>being an anglo
i am sorry
>>
>>8309362
Magical realism borders surrealism, that's why it is better.
Russian literature has a lot of this staff since Harms and till modern times. See "Moscow to the End of the Line", for example.
>>
Just call it speculative fiction.
>>
>>8312369
But then there'll be no magic!
>>
>>8309353
My ex used to describe everything as 'magical' when she was at loss for words. Magical sunset, magical weather, magical song, magical souffle, magical movie, magical candy, magical anal sex, magical life, magical electricity bills, magical breakup, magical AIDS.

Needless to say i've developed a hatred for the word and yet i fucking miss her. Fuck Saturday nights and magical realism.
>>
>>8312503
What a useless-sounding cunt.
>>
>>8312547
You sound bitter.
>>
>>8309371
Calvino literally wrote like 50 scifi stories.
>>
>You know what I don't want these cookies anymore, I just wanna go to the beach...
>*teleports out of the room*
>>
>>8309478
>>8309482
>>8313062
What are these beach references about?
>>
>>8313087
What? No way!
>>
>>8313087
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cEGg48lXbc
>>
>>8310495
>ie the dorks who read WH40k or Brandon Sanderson wouldn't read it
I read 40k.

I guess you do too, or you wouldn't mention it.
>>
>>8313129
What is /lit/'s enthusiasm for the show to Catch a Predator? Trump supporters also seem to gravitate towards it for some reason. Somehow /lit/, Donald Trump, and to Catch a Predator all seem to go together.
>>
File: joshbecomesproducer.png (330KB, 418x358px) Image search: [Google]
joshbecomesproducer.png
330KB, 418x358px
>>8313508
It's a meme show on /tv/
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.