[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: 54367834.jpg (571KB, 1400x800px) Image search: [Google]
54367834.jpg
571KB, 1400x800px
Hi, I usually brows reddit but thought I should give >lit a try. What would you recommend me to read? Here are my top 5 books

>Crime and punishment
>Ulysses
>Infinite Jest
>Gravity's Rainbow
>American Gods
>>
>>
File: image.png (103KB, 246x232px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
103KB, 246x232px
>says he's from /r/books
>infinite jest
>ulusses
>gravity's rainbow
>>
>>8306218
>>8306220
Peeps from r/books recommended them and they turned out to be the best books I had ever read.
>>
How do I quote properly?
>>
>>8306353
You're lying
>>
"8306218"
Put in my amazon basket. ty.
>>
File: 1465233859363.png (203KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
1465233859363.png
203KB, 314x475px
>>8306169
you would enjoy Tolstoyevsky if you liked Infinite Jest
>>
>>8306218
There will be a translation of this book in a few months

https://www.amazon.com/Bottoms-Dream-German-Literature-Schmidt/dp/1628971592
>>
>>8306394
Thanks for the info. My German is okay but my English is better, so I should probably wait for the translation. Thx!
>>8306360
Why do you think so? I made a similair thread on r/books where I stated my favourite books back then and I was recommended Ulysses, GR and american gods.
>>
>>8306381
Haha nice one. It looks like this sub has got some humour! While on the subject of "Tolstoyevsky" I must note that I enjoy the works of both of these authors.
>>
>>8306407
Read everything from Kafka.
He only wrote 3 books and some short stories.
Still pretty sure you're trolling because you got the meme trilogy in your top 5.
>>
Please go back to r*ddit you fucking sperg
>>
>>8306416
What is the meme trilogy and what does it consist of?

I have read The trial and some of his short stories. Is the castle worth reading?
>>
>>8306424
I thought that 4chan was the HQ for spergs
>>
>>8306427
Im reading the castle atm. In my opinion it is a better trial, but keep in mind that it doesn't have an ending.
The meme trilogy:
>Ininite Jest
>Ulysses
>gravity's Rainbow
>>
>>8306446
>>8306446
I will give it a try. Is it true that Kafka misspelled Oklahoma in it?

Are those the only books in the trilogy? And to be honest I don't see what's wrong with having those books as one's favourites. They are widely known and appreciated.
>>
>>8306474
It's just a pretty big coincidence, considering your thread already looked like bait when you said that you're from reddit.
I don't know if he spelled it wrong. Didn't pay any attention to it and even if he did you could still argue that he made up a fictional place that is spelled differently.
>>
>>8306360
I mean yeah he is but did you think those books were underground or something?
>>
Do you know how to properly bait? You make one post and see how many replies it can get without further attention from the OP/ OR. You're going to keep replying to the occasional ironic replier but get 0 satisfaction out of it at the rate you're going, because noone will give you a serious reply.
>>
>>8306482
So what exactly do you consider to be bait?
>>
>>8306498
I'm not trying to bait, I am seriously looking for book recommendations. I'm very perplexed over how anything that I have written can be taken as bait. What is it that I wrote? Is there some underground joke about anything that I wrote/omitted?
>>
>>8306509
Mentioning reddit
Saying the meme trilogy is is in your top 5.
I don't say that it has to be bait, but it makes it seem fishy.
>>
>>8306509
OP i too love Ulysses and seek books like it

Try The Apes of God by Wyndham Lewis and The Recognitioms
>>
>>8306533
So it's weird that I have been browsing reddit, find another platform to discuss my main interest and that I mention my forum background? The books that are in my top five are widely read and appreciated, how is it weird that I have them in my list? And fyi IJ, GR and Ulysses are loved on r/books, thus making it less extraordinary that they are in my list.
>>
>>8306547
Thank you for actually helping me, I will check it out.
>>
>>8306550
I only visited r/books like 3 times, but every time i did people trashtalked Ulysses.
>>
>>8306550

everything that poster says is actually correct.

>And fyi IJ, GR and Ulysses are loved on r/books,
yeah, we've seen r/books top ranked lists, it's all Rand, Tolkien, and Harry Potter. they got a hold of our list and all their comments were "They know nothing about literature, they don't even have Game of Thrones listed." saying you're from there is a negative thing.

there is a lot more board culture on 4chan than what you're used to. assume nothing. and Reddit is despised on this entire site.

you're supposed to lurk and figure out how we relate before you post on 4chan. failing to do so will piss us off and we will heap shit on you. I get that you don't think this is fair, but it's like you're wearing shoes in your host's house in Japan and when they call you out on it, you say "what? I do this all the time in America and it was never a problem."

you're not right. fuck you reddit scum, lurk moar or better yet just leave.
>>
>>8306427
yes

i'm only midway through it but its really good
>>
File: image.png (251KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
251KB, 480x300px
>>8306597
Searched for "4chan" on r/books and the top 3 posts admired /lit/.
https://m.reddit.com/r/books/search?q=4chan&type=sr%2Clink

System doesn't let me post all the links since they suspect it to be spam. But you can read the comments and posts.
>>
File: KemzR6O.gif (2MB, 413x292px) Image search: [Google]
KemzR6O.gif
2MB, 413x292px
>>8306502
>>
>>8306597
op, he's kinda right but don't take it too seriously. its a fucking internet forum. you're fine.
>>
>>8306579
"Everyone should read Ulysses at some point in their life. It's a book unlike any other, a book that knocks you out of your comfort zone. A book that makes your brain strain like you're reaching for something on a high shelf. And it's really, really funny. I've read it a couple of times and here's my advice:" over 800 upvotes

"In case it isn’t clear from the fact that I’m bothering to write this at all, I really, really liked it. I’ve mentioned to some people in the past that I’m much more interested in older literature than recent stuff, yet I tire of reading about royalty and nobility so much, as if nothing interesting ever happened to anyone who didn’t have a lot of money before the past hundred years or so. Ulysses, as a kind of epic of the common man, probably satisfied this irk in my taste better than any novel I’ve yet read." [OP on ulysses] over 200 upvotes

Finding posts with many upvotes on the subject of ulysses is hard, but after some research I can claim that people either loved it or couldn't understand it, tough no trash talking.
>>
how many layers is this thread?

i'm lost in the layers

is this new sincerity?

please say no, but mean yes
>>
>>8306681
motherfucker, if you're gonna do this, let's hear what _you_ have to say about Ulysses.

fucking quit talking about reddit. r/books is a fucking snack. /lit/ is a meal. we could recommend a lot for you, but we don't really like you.

sage.
>>
>>8306694
He said that it was weird that I had Ulysses in my top 5 list since r/books hate it so I provided proof that they don't hate it. Fuck off you fucking scum. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.
>>
>>8306218
All hail Arno, der König, den wir verdienen.
>>
>>8306681

They will upvote posts about classics like Ulysses to appear well-read but if you criticise Ready Player One or The Martian they all attack you as a pretentious snob.

Lists of favourite books will always contain the classics but there's fuck all discussion of them ever, so how are they everyone's favourites?

/r/books is a bit bipolar I find. Simultaneously praising classics and reading trash.
>>
>>8306394
Is it even translatable?
>>
>>8306694
>do i fit in yet

I really like this thread, OP, you're doing an amazing job
>>
>>8308098
Apparently it is. The guy started the translation almost 3 years ago.
I read Ulysses in two different languages, and I'd say the translation got considerable close to the original, although it is not as beautiful stylistically and some puns are lost.
There's also a translation of the first pages of Finnegans Wake, but they're awkward to read because the footnotes cover most of the page.

I don't know German so I cannot say how close it can be in terms of possible translation to Uysses or Finnegans Wake, but given that both of them are 'translatable', even if it requires quite a bunch of notes, the only thing needed is a person insane enough to undertake the task,
>>
>>8308001
yeah, I saw taxi driver, too. sick burn.
>>
File: 1468967318570.png (121KB, 250x310px) Image search: [Google]
1468967318570.png
121KB, 250x310px
>>8306474
>are those 3 books the only books in the trilogy
>>
>>8308098
Who cares. Books like that are beautiful in translation. Finnegans is terrific, so is Larva.
>>
>>8306694
>r/books is a fucking snack. /lit/ is a meal
lel this entire post
it's like that fresh off the boat pasta
>>
>>8310075
Larva?
>>
>>8310135
Julian Rios.
>>
ITT: a bunch of retarded autists

Bait/10 congrats OP
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.