[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't we talk about death and grief?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1243987[1].png (30KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1243987[1].png
30KB, 700x700px
Why don't we talk about death?
I feel like this subject is taboo in our contemporary society. I don't think it was like that in ancient times, as death was an object of speculation by philosophers. In medieval times, the death of the body is a necessity - we must pass through it so we can achieve the most supreme sense of being of our species. In our times, however, death seems to be something that should be buried, an imperfection of life that we do not talk about although we know it's coming. But in a sense, it's quite clear that death is around us in a meaningful way. The death of others, specially the ones we love, affect us deeply. Almost everyone who lives to adulthood will experience the feeling of grief, and it is a powerful one. We usually spend some time feeling the burden of this feeling, but after the initial period people don't talk about the loss, we just deal with it, each in our own way.
Shouldn't death be a topic discussed in the public sphere more often? It seems inevitable, but the point to talk about it is to remind of us of finitude. Not only our own, but the finitude of all life, and how it affects us all. What do you guys think?

"Will it be just like they're dreaming?
Will it be just like I'm dreaming?
[...]
Are you also frightened?
Are you also frightened?"
>>
>>8305911
We're all deluded, vainly searching ways
To make us happy by the length of days;
For cunningly to make's protract this breath,
The Gods conceal the happiness of death.
>>
>>8305911
bump
>>
Wouldnt that be suicide? Cause saying it is death would be just like saying water wets but put in some chemical formula.
>>
The Epicureans had it right when it comes to death and mortality, in fact a very large part of the philosophy is based on their view that death is inevitable, that you won't feel anything when dead, and that literally nothing matters once you're dead

Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo. was etched in their tombstones. Translates to I was not. I was. I am not. I don't mind/care.

As for picturing/imagining death it's simply dreamless sleep.
>>
Reminders of death go against the current narrative of Life as some endless rave party. Such reminders are always a nice sober slap to remind you of whats really important - many people don't like those kind of slaps.
>>
Being-towards-death talk will get you hanged by the 'they', but you can sneak it in during idle talk if you're crafty enough
>>
>>8307203
*depending on your audience
>>
>>8305911
Do you believe we should provide people with the means to commit suicide?
>>
>>8305911
It's just not worth talking about. Either you die and you go somewhere we can never know about, or you die and basically have a dreamless sleep you never wake from. Death is boring.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.