[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Brazil have some great writer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: mapa-brasil.jpg (121KB, 700x613px) Image search: [Google]
mapa-brasil.jpg
121KB, 700x613px
I know of Portuguese writers like Pessoa and Saramago
I know of the writers of Spanish America, like Garcia Marquez, Vargas Llosa, Borges, Bolano, Neruda, Cortazar, Ruben Dario etc

But I dont know any Brazilian writer apart from Coello, who is regarded as trash.

I dont want this thread to be /pol/ or /int/. I can understand portuguese pretty well, and I am clueless on which Brazilian writers are worth reading.
I am interested because they have over half of the population of South America.
>>
Clarice Lispector is the GOAT
>>
File: machado.jpg (290KB, 1149x1599px) Image search: [Google]
machado.jpg
290KB, 1149x1599px
Those with "----" around their names are the most important.

Writers:
Joaquim Manuel de Macedo
---- José de Alencar -----
Bernardo Guimarães
Luís Carlos Martins Pena
Manuel Antônio de Almeida
Raul Pompéia
------------ Machado de Assis --------------
Aluísio Azevedo
---- Euclides da Cunha -----
Lima Barreto
Monteiro Lobato
Simões Lopes Neto
Graça Aranha
Mário de Andrade
José Lins do Rego
Érico Verissimo
---- Graciliano Ramos ----
---- Guimarães Rosa -----
Clarice Lispector
Raduan Nassar
Ariano Suassuna

Poets:
Gregório de Matos
Gonçalves de Magalhães
------ Gonçalves Dias ------
Álvares de Azevedo
Casimiro de Abreu
Fagundes Varela
Junqueira Freire
Castro Alves
Tobias Barreto
---------------Olavo Bilac ---------------
---- Alberto de Oliveira -----
---- Raimundo Correia ----
Cruz e Sousa
Augusto dos Anjos
---- Carlos Drummond de Andrade ----
---- João Cabral de Melo Neto ----
Mário Quintana
>>
>>8305235
Forgot to add Rubem Fonseca and Dalton Trevisan to the writers list.
>>
I always thought Pessoa was Brazilian. Goes on to show how irrelevant Portugal is.
>>
>>8305235
>>8305242

op here
thanks a lot!
>>
>>8305251
No, it goes on to show how dumb you are. It's normal to mistake the nationality of people from the metropolis with the colony and vice versa, for most people.
>>
>>8305270
>It's normal to mistake the nationality of people from the metropolis with the colony and vice versa
Who can mistake a Brit for an American or a Spaniard for a Latin American?
>>
>>8305286
Anybody who has little or no knowledge, like >>8305251 or your average american.
>>
>>8305292
And no ears, don't forget that.
>>
File: Tiradentes.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
Tiradentes.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
Brazilian literature is little known by foreigners, because it is restricted. The topics covered here are fully Brazilians; the problems, our culture and our lives are different from the rest of the world. I mean, if Brazil were a person it would be that smart but very poor guy.

He was stolen so many times, and now he doesn't show his stuff around the world

Our best poets are Gonçalves Dias and Carlos Drummond.

Our best writers are Machado, Guimarães Rosa and José de Alencar.
>>
>>8305426
>Our best poets are Gonçalves Dias and Carlos Drummond
>not mentioning Bilac
>>
>>8305465

Did I lied?

Olavo is good tho, but Gonçalves and Drummond are best
>>
>>8305477
The national anthem and his mastery of the language are enough to rate him above Drummond.
>>
>>8305465
Olavo, like a lot of brazilian poetry, didn't age well. Parnasianism was bound to get tacky tbqh

For my anglosphere /lit/bros, I strongly recommend you Raduan Nassar. His two books just got translated into Penguin and he's probably the greatest brazilian writer in the last 60 years.

Also, Antonio Callado is great, but not even brazilians seem to care much about his work. Also, Murilo Rubião was doing magical realism before Borges & co. and without knowing Kafka, his stuff is great, but I doubt it will ever be translated.
>>
>>8305235
Forgot to mention Paulo Leminski in the poetry department.
Also, if OP really plans on diving into brazilian/portuguese literature, learning portuguese seems worth the effort. It's a great language, after all.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.