[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Analytic Philosophy Reading List

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: philosophy.png (687KB, 1242x512px) Image search: [Google]
philosophy.png
687KB, 1242x512px
Can i get an analytic philosophy reading list since i can't find one in the sticky or anywhere else on the internet?

My current list:

Wittgenstein - All works
Frege Anthology
Russel Anthology
Gödel Anthology
Philosophy of mathematics - Selected readings 2:nd edition
Two dogmas of empiricism
>>
How to do things with words - J. L. Austin
The Concept of Mind - Gilbert Ryle
A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs - Donald Davidson
Brains in a Vat - Hilary Putnam
The Meaning of Meaning - Hilary Putnam
Then read Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature by Richard Rorty and you're done with analytic philosophy. Everything else is a waste of time.
>>
>>8304846
>Then read Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature by Richard Rorty and you're done with analytic philosophy. Everything else is a waste of time.

This desu. Rorty is god.
>>
File: 1463941358637.png (3MB, 1195x2050px) Image search: [Google]
1463941358637.png
3MB, 1195x2050px
We have some charts for analytic philosophy
>>
File: 1463942067585 (1).png (2MB, 1049x1263px) Image search: [Google]
1463942067585 (1).png
2MB, 1049x1263px
>>8304861
>>
You may find Kripke's work interesting, though I've only read Naming and Neccesity and seen some of his discussions on externalism.
>>
File: 1463942529608.png (2MB, 1046x1460px) Image search: [Google]
1463942529608.png
2MB, 1046x1460px
>>8304868
>>
I can give you some topics and authors for ethics from an analytic tradition:
Gilbert Harman
JL Mackie
Moral Luck - Bernard Williams, Thomas Bagel
John Rawls
Emotivism - AJ Ayer
>>
File: 1463942693394.png (2MB, 1049x1458px) Image search: [Google]
1463942693394.png
2MB, 1049x1458px
>>8304871
last one
>>
Good job on the lists /lit/ but how come you guys don't have some kind of list with all the consequential papers? Since most of the developments in this stream happened via academic papers as opposed to full length books (well, mostly, sorta).

I can't help but think that this notion of having an analytic philosophy reading list of books caters more to /lit/'s bookshelf fetish (which acts as a sort of external validation for you, you insecure little shits) above an actual interest in analytic thought.
>>
>>8304846
>>8304861
>>8304868
>>8304871
>>8304873
>>8304874

Thanks for all of this. Is it on the wiki, and i just missed it?

>>8304964
One big problem with journals is the paywall. Of course, you could get around it through libgen before but i don't know now. Scihub?
>>
>>8304975
>One big problem with journals is the paywall. Of course, you could get around it through libgen before but i don't know now. Scihub?

Both work as far as I've tried. Never found a paper (especially one that would be a big deal in analytic philosophy) that wasn't available there.

Can you shoot me an example of a paper you didn't find on libgen?

Sci-hub is convenient too ofc.

Also, if you were to study analytic philosophy in a university (if they have it as a distinct course or even if they don't) you'll be reading a lot of papers, some books too of course, but a lot of papers.
>>
File: curiousmerchant.jpg (28KB, 192x214px) Image search: [Google]
curiousmerchant.jpg
28KB, 192x214px
>>8304828
Can someone inform me more about the whole toy train aesthetic? I think I remember watching looney tunes or something and there was this trope of an authoritarian father figure spending time downstairs in the basement with either a toy train track or a mini model of a city. What was that all about?
>>
>>8305083
There's some difference between straight up wooden toy trains for children as in the OP and model trains as adults might use them where you need to build small model trees and have to pull the switches so the trains come on time or put water in a thing so it makes smoke somehow

Model trains were a dad thing at some point in the past, dad would go down in the basement and build his miniature trainland while his honest and apron wearing housewife shakes her head and bakes apple pie while the children play outisde and aren't allowed to ever touch daddy's trains and micropeople

But that hobby has mostly died out and is mostly at home in sitcom episodes now
I remember some story about how the biggest model train manufacturer almost went bankrupt and had to resort to trickery to save their business but I don't remember how that tale went
>>
>>8305012
No, i don't have any examples yet. I just know they removed a whole bunch of papers on libgen.
>>
>>8305459
Tbh most analytic works you'd have to refer to seem seminal enough to be on google, I'm sure lib gen has em.

I think you'd only find lib gen at its end if you're throughly researching a field, not for the highly cited works in analytic philosophy.
>>
>>8305727
>I think you'd only find lib gen at its end if you're throughly researching a field
I'm guessing you're a hobbyist and don't really need to do this?
Hi btw, I don't see many analytic phil enthusiasts around who haven't studied philosophy formally. What's your background? I mean academically and with respect to previous readings.
>>
>>8305124
Fuck your post about model train hobbyism. Fuck dad.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.