[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Great Expectations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: dickens.jpg (53KB, 284x475px) Image search: [Google]
dickens.jpg
53KB, 284x475px
Thoughts on this read? Charles dickens is supposed to be the best novelist of all time but this story kinda loses my interest in the second act when everything being built up in the first half just gets thrown away and he suddenly moves to London to be a gentleman. I don't think his character is really all that intriguing.

But i am probably missing the entire point and that is why I posted this.
>>
actually i changed my mind books pretty gud
>>
>>8299788
>everything being built up in the first half just gets thrown away

I was about to call bullshit on this part but then

>actually i changed my mind books pretty gud

Nevermind.
>>
>>8299788
>Charles dickens is supposed to be the best novelist of all time
No.
>>
File: gexpct04.jpg (52KB, 425x287px) Image search: [Google]
gexpct04.jpg
52KB, 425x287px
>>8299788
The character of Ms. Havisham, the last chapter of tale of two cities, Oliver Twist asking for more, all really great examples of a brilliant writing mind. And A Christmas Carol is an all time great work.

But all of that good stuff gets covered in the piles of shit that he produced due to his episodic formats that he would drag out for an extra buck. His books have aged poorly and I somewhat oppose them as classics being taught in school. I think DIckens hurts youth literacy more than it helps.

>>8300860
this
>>
>>8300872
>he would drag out for an extra buck

There's this meme again.

>His books have aged poorly and I somewhat oppose them as classics being taught in school. I think DIckens hurts youth literacy more than it helps

Bah, kids these days just can't handle his wordy style. Other than that, the content is fuck easy to grasp and you can teach it alongside British history too.

I mean, fucking Great Expectations is about fucking waifu romance.

I blame the inept teachers more for students not liking it.
>>
>>8299788
Should be called Lower Your...
>>
>>8300887
>There's this meme again.

I dont believe he was payed by the word, but its pretty clear he was increasing content for reasons other than crafting a novel

>inept teachers more for students not liking it.
In the end it is the student, many of whom need to be coddled with more gentle (and likable) fair like Lord of the Flies or some shit who are being forced to read through the middle of David Copperfield. I wont take away from the novels for well read adults, as Tale of Two Cities is one of my favorites, but it should be approached more as grad students approach George Eliot, not as a perennial mainstay like Animal Farm.

My highschool read two dickens novels a year, it was tragic.
>>
Just stop teaching classics to kids. Western civilization hates its past anyways.
>>
>>8300894
>In the end it is the student, many of whom need to be coddled with more gentle (and likable) fair like Lord of the Flies or some shit who are being forced to read through the middle of David Copperfield

I have no idea how Lord of the Flies could be gentler than David Copperfield.
>>
>read an abridged version of Great Expectations once
>it cuts some of the important character bits and scenes

This is why I only read shit straight from Gutenberg.
>>
>>8300894

>My highschool read two dickens novels a year, it was tragic.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
>>
>>8300895
This.

I'm sick of gender studies fucktards adding lesbians to the classics.
>>
>>8300903
Lord of the Flies is easy to understand. Fuckin feral kids on a fuckin island. Unlike all of Dickens stories where threads of plotline are streen randomly and you have to knit everything together
(Talking about highschoolers here)
>>
>>8300915
Oh, comfy meaning easy to understand.
>>
150 pages into the exact edition in the OP. Well synchronized
>>
>>8300915
I guess this is what doesnt sit well with me about dickens. The plot lines seem forced and thrown about in a way where the narrative begins to feel kinda fucked.
>>
>>8299788

Yeah, right now you are missing the point, but as you read on, it will hit you.
>>
>>8300860
This lol
Flaubert and Tolstoy both exist senpai
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.