[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why are spoken word poets so embarrassing to the rest of us?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

why are spoken word poets so embarrassing to the rest of us?
>>
because they are shit at poetry
>>
>>8299063
They aren't. You just seem to think a few tumblrinas are representative of "spoken word poets".

But sure, let's have another SJW/woman/liberal hate thread.
>>
>>8299063
they aren't

back to >>>/pol
>>
>>8299078
I mean, sure, there's a huge overlap between cringeworthy slam poets and tumblrinas, but honestly, the differences between poetry on the page and slam poetry are like the differences between stand up comedy and improvised comedy. One is (or at least should be) carefully crafted and meticulous in language, and the other more generally relies on flourishes of physicality and intonation.
>>
>>8299091
slam poetry is not representative of the entire field of spoken word poetry, though.

Poetry is written to be read aloud
>>
Poetry today is embarrassing really, people don't have a foundation so they don't know what poetry is frankly do not care to learn aside from current meme hot item authors that are best sellers or empower people.

It's only natural it transfers to spoken word, spoken word though is the tool of oftentimes pseudo/impoverished teens like the black community in the 70s with gil scot heron and others activists. It allows for large amounts of emotion and little skill, basic rhymes and a passionate crowd to envelop the speaker in a haze of power.

jack kerouac and tom waits are tip toppity spoken word poets, diamonds on my windshield and october in the railroad earth are goat.
>>
>>8299099
I agree that poetry is written to be read aloud, but a large chunk of popular slam/spoken word poetry is formless garbage. It's often taken up by people who have no understanding of meter, or economy of language, and thus just assume that rhythm and rhyme can make a boring anecdote "interesting". I understand I'm a bit of a traditionalist about this but I really think a lot of the modern spoken/slam scene is really more of a performative monologue space than I consider interesting, or worthwhile.

I'm open to changing my mind if anyone can give me examples of spoken/slam poetry that utilizes essential language both in terms of diction and narrative, with actual, understood usage of meter.
>>
>>8299063
because they all look the same and they all regurgitate the same themes and tropes to fit their very narrow set of values.
>>
>>8299099
Only a sith deals in absolutes.

Truth is every spoken word event I've ever been to has been dreadful. Also social justice is a pretty vapid movement so the art it inspires it pretty vapid. No misogyny, just critical of a movement. Lastl, that Space Ape and Kode 9 piece about smoking crack and rocket ships is pretty cool.
>>
>>8299129
>Only a sith deals in absolutes
KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>8299137
Only a Deatheater advocates for death
>>
>>8299129
>Only a sith deals in absolutes.
wow.

>>>/r/books
>>
>>8299129

Stopped reading right there.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>8299129
Y I K E S
>>
>>8299154
Only a member of the Divergent faction Erudite denigrates thusly
>>
>>8299157

Only a Deatheater advocates for death
>>
File: 1466290662940.gif (1MB, 217x217px) Image search: [Google]
1466290662940.gif
1MB, 217x217px
>>8299137
>>8299150
>>8299154
got triggered this hard
>>
>>8299129
>>8299137
>>8299154
>>8299159
>>8299164

The desire for the unconditional belongs to pathology. Friedrich N., Jenseits von Gut and Bose
>>
File: SM-Carroll[1].jpg (70KB, 300x205px) Image search: [Google]
SM-Carroll[1].jpg
70KB, 300x205px
>>8299117
>I agree that poetry is written to be read aloud
Crosswords and chess boards can be also read aloud. But are they meant to be? A carefully constructed poem (say, a sonnet of Petrarca) gets reduced to rambling nonsense upon getting read aloud to people who have never read it.

People who write monologues are called dramatists.
People writing lyrics for a singer are librettists.
Poets are people who write things which are meant to be read.

It's easier shown than explained.
Read more poetry.
>>
>>8299186
better
>>
>>8299063
Was ist der Affe für den Menschen?
>>
>>8299125
That approaches a true generalization. Of course, some spoken poetry is great, but holy SHIT most of it is terrible, and if you don't think so, I can only conclude that you've either never sat through a night of it, or that you were one of the readers. Most amateur poetry sucks ass, but having it badly emoted and acted out by the author live in front of you is so much more painful, especially since it usually has to be about social issues and angst in the most immediate and superficial way.
And of course not all poetry is meant to be spoken out loud. Some poets distinctly reject that, and write poetry that's damn near impossible to recite, and isn't intended that way in any case.
>>8299198
Exactly.
>>
>>8299243
>Of course, some spoken poetry is great, but holy SHIT most of it is terrible

What art form is this not true of?
>>
>>8299243
not trying to be difficult, genuinely curious: could you post some good spoken word/slam poetry?
>>
>>8299248

not him but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Jm2jubZUY
>>
>>8299246
i think the point was that spoken poetry is still in its infancy as an artform and thus the bad shit is more visible than other forms where it gets buried in a pile of other shit
>>
>>8299252
>>8299255
are we even talking about slam poetry here?
>>
>>8299264
>slam poetry ==//== spoken poetry
>>
>>8299269
but we're talking about slam poetry, are we not?
>>
>>8299276
the OP isn't about slam poets.

Everyone acknowledges that slam poetry is shit. Let's not jerk each other off any more over this. It's like creating a thread on /pol/ or /r9k/ saying blacks and women are shit. Everyone agrees.

Spoken word poetry is still so much more
>>
>>8299248
Slam poetry? No. I don't know any. Spoken word? Sure, but I'd have to go back to beatniks like Ginsberg, and most folks here probably hate it. I'm not up on the current best spoken word poets: I like my poetry in books. There must be some good current ones out there, though... right?
>>
>>8299129
CRIKEY
R
I
K
E
Y
>>
File: 1377411244205.jpg (160KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1377411244205.jpg
160KB, 1280x1280px
>>8299129

Don't listen to the mean posters hating on you for this. Here is an upvote, sweetie.

Edit: WOW I barely did anything to deserve that gold I am just acting in the very way our society really should act everyday on the internet. It's a shame that people don't understand something this basic. Thank you to the Sir or Madam (or possible inter-sectional gendered person) who was kind enough to do this!
>>
>>8299455
You are ten times more autistic than the redditors you mock
>>
>>8299455
Upvote? Gold? What are you talking about?
>>
>>8299455
its not a good thing to act like you have no self respect
>>
File: MAX.jpg (9KB, 298x379px) Image search: [Google]
MAX.jpg
9KB, 298x379px
>>8299455
>hurr durr dur redit
>>
>>8299465

>getting triggered into literal anger over this

Twenty times more autistic.
>>
>>8299129
wew
wew
wew
>>
>>8299129
>Only a Sith deals in absolutes

I liked this choice of quotation and feel it conveyed enough meaning to be worthwhile

I understand why other people thought it was cringey but I thought it felt unforced and appropriate
>>
>>8299198
>Crosswords and chess boards can be also read aloud. But are they meant to be?
The difference is that poems have rhythm, which is better felt when read aloud, and in any case almost all poets have affirmed the superiority of reading aloud, and poetry came into an existence when reading in one's head was a strange novelty not yet tried

None of this is necessary to make the point, though. Try reading a good poem out loud and you will feel the difference. It's like the difference between imagining a song in your head and singing it
>>
>>8299129
Dont you realize that dissing this quote only make it even better than it already was

Dont make him a martyr guys
>>
>>8300969
It really says something about this board, that they have only given unrestrained approval, or unrestrained censure... You know what they say about absolutes.
>>
>>8299455
I lold
>>
cause they are exposing themselves, and in so doing they are exposing humanity.

like seeing someone naked on the street.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.