[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The elephant in the room

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1468029696649.png (8KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1468029696649.png
8KB, 420x420px
Why are so many books boring?
>>
Different people have differing interests.
>>
What's that 90% of everything is trash rule again?
>>
>>8297619
Because it's hard to write a good one. Which books do you like OP?
>>
Same goes for all the artforms, they're mostly shit.
>>
stick to genre fiction and plot based books if that is your opinion
>>
>>8297637
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is my favorite book
>>
>>8297647

Nice try, troll.

I'm OP. I unironically don't like a lot of genre fiction due to bad writing but my favourite sci-fi novel is the stars my destination.

My favourite books would probably be dismissed by lit as entry level. Lolita, the big nowhere, American Tabloid, the rules of attraction, kavalier and clay, mysteries of Pittsburgh, the secret history, the rules of attraction.

JR, all of cormac McCarthy's books except the road, Pynchon's 3 longest books, DFW's fiction, wuthering heights, all of Dickens's books, crime and punishment, it's all so hideously boring.
>>
>>8297619
only boring people get bored.
>>
agreed, lets stop reading together
>>
>>8297619
1. It's always up to the current market what is "trendy" and right now, "books" need to have a certain length to be sold.

2. Some people prefer the "iceberg" style and think for themselves, others prefer to let go and just follow descriptions word for word - both can be boring in their own way depending on what you wanted.

3. Most art is just masturbation, and while masturbating yourself is quite fun, watching someone masturbate when you've been under the impression you're going to fuck is a lot less fun.

4. A picture says as much as a thousand words, but since you're reading and not just watching, it might get a bit verbose.

5. "Patrician" literature is almost by definition "boring". It's an exercise in something that goes beyond the things that we're born to enjoy: Action, plot, simplifications, and so on. Just like a child loves sugar while we call bitter things an acquired taste.

6. Many people subscribe to the idea of not wanting to be a member of a club that would accept someone like them or believe that something is only good if it costs a lot of money or, when it comes to art, "it's good precisely because it makes no sense" and variations of that.
These people would pretend to enjoy the name-dropping at the beginning of the Bible just to spite you and to feel like they're superior to you.

7. In contrast to that, they might simply "get" things you don't get. As a child, you may have found romantic elements in movies incredibly boring and wanted to fast-forward to the action; as a teenager, you might have found the whale-hunting descriptions in Moby Dick incredibly boring and wanted to get to [guise I have read Moby Dick]; but as you get older and wiser, you may find new interests or simply pick up on subtleties.

There are good and bad arthouse films but that doesn't mean that only Michael Bay is interesting. And judging from the taste you shared, you're still at that stage where you prefer the Michael Bay of literature (that's a bit harsh, but mostly the sex-and-action aspects).

In the end, the question where "too easy" young-adult stuff ends and where "too masturbatory" """art""" starts is a really interesting one but I haven't seen anyone answer it yet. Somehow, through instinct, most people grow out of Harry Potter but know to stay clear of Derrida and find the golden middle.
>>
>>8297811

I violently disagree with 5. Shakespeare is not boring. He does not describe ornate doorknobs and table legs for five paragraphs. He wrote for an audience with less formal education then the average 10 year old today
>>
>>8297668
Dickens boring? my dude, how could you go so horribly wrong?
>>
>>8297825
>>8297831
protip: frogposters are looking for (You)s.

Stop entertaining them. They just need a braek from talking about the size of labia on /r9k/
>>
>>8297825
>He wrote for an audience with less formal education then the average 10 year old today
So you don't disagree with me but rather confirm the point.
I should have said: Our modern understanding of "patrician" literature since back then, you didn't have to pretend to be above such plebish things as sex and crime and war and strong passions. But nowaday's critics would lump in Shakespeare with GRR Martin.

>>8297838
Of course, but to me it's still a really interesting question what makes us evolve from our instincts to acquired taste when, without that veil of pretension, we all agree that it's less strenuous to read about some nice tits than about deconstructivism.
>>
>>8297811
>5. "Patrician" literature is almost by definition "boring". It's an exercise in something that goes beyond the things that we're born to enjoy: Action, plot, simplifications, and so on. Just like a child loves sugar while we call bitter things an acquired taste.

It's complete bullshit though.
>>
>>8297619
if there was a book about an actual elephant in a room it would be pretty interesting

how did it get in there?
how would it get out?
what would happen if someone went in the room?
what is the elephant thinking?
>>
File: 1439293223461.jpg (28KB, 414x720px) Image search: [Google]
1439293223461.jpg
28KB, 414x720px
>>8297668
>crime and punishment
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.