[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best Lovecraft story collection?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

Is this the best Lovecraft story collection?
>>
>>8297102
Its the one most people i know have, not sure if its the best though.
>>
>>8297109

Do you know is there any Omnibus books that has all the stories?
>>
>>8297120
HUGE selection of stories in nice cover for only $25:
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Fiction-Lovecraft-Knickerbocker-Classics/dp/1631060015/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468936138&sr=8-1&keywords=knickerbockers+lovecraft

That's the one I have. I don't think it has every single story though.
>>
It's worth the money. Good aesthetic too.
>>
File: IMGP0316edit.jpg (461KB, 1200x900px)
IMGP0316edit.jpg
461KB, 1200x900px
>>8297102
Overall, yes. It has almost all the good stuff, it has nice illustrations, and a great essay on HPL's publishing history. But get the hardcover ONLY--the paperback will turn into a floppy dog-eared phonebook. Three things to note:
1. This collection chose to present the stories as published in Weird Tales, so any later later fixes/edits by HPL are not there. If you want definitive, use S.T. Joshi's three annotated volumes with Penguin.
2. There are a few great stories HPL "co-wrote," and they are not included.
3. Once this is sitting on your shelf, you may be seized with an uncontrollable desire to get the other "big black books" from Gollancz. It'll start, of course, with the other HPL volume, and then maybe Conan, but eventually you may find yourself needing all six. Don't fight it. I hope they get around to continuing the line someday soon.
Obviously, I ended up with all of them.
>>
>>8297386
how can you write a thousand pages on tarzan. i mean what is there to do in the jungle there's a thousand pages
>>
>>8297102
No. It's too long. He was extremely repetative and should find something smaller with a more hand picked seletion of stories.
>>
>>8297941
That collects the first six novels, some of which are more about his son--but yes, the stuff gets repetitive, though in later books his adventures got batshit crazy. The main issue is the amazing level of deus ex machina the stories lean on: every person who sails within a thousand miles of the Graystoke treehouse ends up marooned and finding it amidst thousands of miles of deep jungle.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.