[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you expect in a historical novel?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

What do you expect to read about? Any tropes and such? Level of nudity, level of gore, etc...
>>
>>8296951
A time before political correctness
>>
I would just want it to be well researched so that it could somewhat accurately represent the times, but not so well researched that the author feels the need to put in enormous amounts of obscure shit to show off.
>>
>>8296956

Yeah, there's a fine line between so little it's bland and so much it reads like an annoying history lesson.
Bernard Cromwell is somewhat guilty of the latter, from the little I've read of the Saxon books.
>>
>>8296954

The last thing we need is AliƩnor of Aquitaine complaining she is an independent woman and won't agree to a forced marriage against Richard the Lionheart. What era do the evil patriarchs who made her do it live in? Antiquity?!
>>
>>8296966
Yep. I want to see women subordinated to men.
>>
>>8296968

Strangely enough, the period and place in which my own historical fiction novel is set gave a surprising amount of rights to women. She could divorce, inherit her husband's fortune, was expected to avenge her husband or brothers' death if either were killed, could be armed, could fight in the army...
>>
>>8296963
You should read his King Arthur trilogy.
>>
>>8296976
>She could divorce, inherit her husband's fortune, was expected to avenge her husband or brothers' death if either were killed, could be armed, could fight in the army

the cultural marxists were out early
>>
>>8296977

I'm actually writing about King Arthur, so I'd rather not read anyone else's take on it so as not to colour mine.
>>
>>8296984
Not really, it's Christianity that started imposing things like "dressing appropriately", veils and the idea women were possessions. Or that being a virgin mattered.

Not saying Christianity invented those concepts, but it's the Christians who brought them to Celtic Britain.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.