[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greek mythology novels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1468227146868.jpg (89KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1468227146868.jpg
89KB, 1024x768px
Do you know any good novel on Greek mythology?
Are also fine Greek prose poems.
>>
latro in the mist
>>
>>8296768
Mary Renault. Start with The King Must Die.
>>
Read mythology by Edith Hamilton of your a noob
>>
>>8296768

There is one by John Fowles that's somewhat relevant. I forgot the name though. And what do you mean by "Greek prose poems"? I don't think what we might call prose poems were a thing in ancient Greece.
>>
>>8297104

But this is not mythology.
>>
>>8298277
A novel of the life of Theseus, with scenes where he communes with his father Poseidon? A novel that details the slaying of the Minotaur? It's as much mythology as any retold Greek legend.
>>
>>8298277
Ah, wait. Is English your first language? You "novel." If you mean a collection of the original myths, or a guide to them, that's quite different. Then Robert Graves is the way to go. Ignore his foot-note theories, but the rest is excellent. Start with Hamilton if you want something simple.
>>
File: polifemo[1].jpg (33KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
polifemo[1].jpg
33KB, 768x576px
OP HERE

Thank you all!

>>8298365

>Ah, wait. Is English your first language?

No, I'm a stupid poor italian.

Well, thank you for Robert Graves. I'll read "The Golden Fleece".
I'm in search non only of a collection of the original myths, but also all the novels ispired by the greek mythology, for example "A lamp for Medusa", "The Mask of Circe".
I also want to read the classic greek poems, in prose, with fantasy elements for example the "Odyssey".
Do you understand what I look for?
>>
File: IMGP0138edit.jpg (562KB, 2000x1555px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0138edit.jpg
562KB, 2000x1555px
>>8298734
Yes, I understand now. Sorry about the confusion. I don't know of a text that looks at the whole history of myth-inspired works (or indeed if such a list would fit in one book) up to modern times.
Graves includes all the Greek myths (almost literally), with excellent listing of primary sources and variants. It's very readable, but (as I said) his personal fanciful theories about story origins, based on the dubious idea of a pan-European mother-goddess cult age, need to be taken with a grain of salt. Edith Hamilton is a decent entry-level text, and even Daulaire's picture book is surprisingly accurate and informative. I would start with those, and then grab primary texts as desired.
>>
>>8299277

Thank you!
>>
The Metamorphoses - Ovid
>>
>>8297104
This.
Also, Robert Graves: The Golden Fleece.
Anything from Robert Graves. The daughter of Homer is good too.
Mika Waltari is also very cool, though he (she?) did not specifically write about greek mythology, just the Antics in general.
>>
>>8300496

>The daughter of Homer

Lisa or Maggie?
>>
>>8299277
Tbh, it kinda makes sense, if you think about it. The Indo-European, strongly patriarchal tribes took over the pre-Indo-European population of Europe like a storm. It could be because of many things, of course. But a strongly patriarchal society based on monogamous marriage and repressed sexual energies will always take over a weak, infighting matriarchal society. That is why matriarchal societies hardly exist.
>>
>>8300508
>Indo-European tribes were based on monogamous marriage and repressed sexual energies

Gonna need a fucking SAUCE

Also, the Greeks and Romans by no means repressed sexual energies and they dominated. The Abbasids were polygamous as fuck yet they conquered, as with the Mongols. France was a less monogamous and sexually repressive country than Tsarist Russia the time Napoleon fucked his way to Moscow
But yeah
Obligatory go to >>>>/pol/
>>
Do you know something similar but with the Norse mythology?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.