[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

J.G. Ballard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: ballard-jg-1.jpg (223KB, 800x489px) Image search: [Google]
ballard-jg-1.jpg
223KB, 800x489px
I was thinking about giving J.G. Ballard a go, since my father has all his works laying around.
Which book of his do you guys recommend?
What is your opinion on him?
>>
Here's the order I read them in so far and I think it worked pretty well:

Crash
High-Rise
The Drowned World
The Atrocity Exhibition
Concrete Island
The Burning World

I feel like I left one out but it's not coming to me right now
>>
>>8296448
Literally

BASED JIMMY

the author. He's one of those authors with entirely their own voice and style, and it makes you feel rank and doomed and filthy, but in a sexy way. Don't miss his autobiographical stuff - he grew up (for at least a couple of years) in a Japanese POW camp.

He said that it was there he learned that life is basically a stage set, and all the pieces can be arranged at whim. That's something that stuck with me.
>>
>>8296448
His short stories are gold.
>>
>>8296808
>>8296841
Cool, will check these out!

>>8296828
Dont know if I have any of the autobiographical stuff, but if I do then I will definitely check out that aswell!
>>
OP, what is preventing you from reading one or two of them and deciding for yourself? are you such a sheep that you can't take a shit without 4chan's approval, or is reading so hard for you that it'd take you six months to finish "High Rise" and you don't want to waste that much time on a book you may not like?
>>
>>8297099
I was going to read him regardless of what all the shitposters would say, I was just looking for some tips on what book to start with.
The opinions question was just to get some more replies and make it a more fulfilling thread other than "read this first, its the most accesible"
>>
>>8296808
The Crystal World
The Unlimited Dream Company
Vermillion Sands

Have fun, OP. Ballard's a trip
>>
Ballard is great. I think High-Rise or Crash should serve as a solid introduction into his themes and style, Vermilion Sands should suffice as well. Atrocity Exhibition is probably his masterpiece but it's also his most overtly experimental so if you don't feel quite up to the challenge read a few others first.

I want to read more of his early environmental disaster novels. Only read Drowned World so far. Gotta pick up Burning World, Crystal World, and Wind from Nowhere soon!
>>
Go for the stuff in the middle of his career, the early sci-fi and latter dystopia stuff doesn't hold a candle to stuff like Crash and The Atrocity Exhibition. And the Complete Short Stories is worth it.
>>
>>8296448
One of my masters. Read Crash and High Rise but don't ignore all the brilliant shit that came after that, like Super Cannes, Cocaine Nights, and Kingdom Come.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.