[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which of Xenophon's works are worth reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Xenophon.jpg (87KB, 400x617px) Image search: [Google]
Xenophon.jpg
87KB, 400x617px
Which of Xenophon's works are worth reading?
>>
>>8285649
all of them tbqh
>>
>>8285649
Xenophon
>they killed our sensei. I will write his vindication as the best man ever. That will show them.
Plato
>didn't you listen to sensei? He taught us our souls are immortal. He may have been the best of us, but he was always the most modest. I will remember him modestly.
Xenophon
>Sensei!
>>
Also, how come literally all his works, even the most minor ones, survived, while tons of Aristotle was lost?
>>
>>8286005
Xenophon was apparently a great Attic Greek prose stylist that his works were often used as study-texts for those learning Attic Greek (similarly why Aristophanes and Pindar got preserved as-well; or Horace for Latin). Not to mention his Hellenica was used alongside Herodotus's and Thucydides' Histories to get a detailed narrative account of Ancient Greece by students and scholars in later on in Antiquity and on. His Anabasis, Cyropedia, and biography of that one Spartan king were considered pretty interesting back-then, enough so for someone like Alexander the Great to have liked his Anabasis as his favorite book, as Persia and Sparta was considered pretty exotic to most Greeks and later Romans. And writing about treatises about advice with Calvary and promoting Oligarchy probably made him more accessible to most of the elite cosmopolitans of the old days.

A lot of writings by Aristotle that we have weren't exactly even written by him, but were probably his notes that his students compiled to particular subjects he discussed.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.