[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 29

File: art.jpg (165KB, 500x649px) Image search: [Google]
art.jpg
165KB, 500x649px
Previously: >>8278045

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/
>>
File: 1468627838973.png (789KB, 851x710px) Image search: [Google]
1468627838973.png
789KB, 851x710px
Who #TeamConsult here?
>>
>>8283017
Someone needs to make an inchoroi smug pepe
>>
>>8283010
Is Childhood's End any good?
>>
>>8283044
Worth a read

But he has so many stories following the same framework as CE
>>
>>8283044
The ending is fantastic. The journey, eh. It has it's parts. Arthur c. clarke wrote around big reveals. There are a handful of them in each of his stories, and the story building up to each of them is meh.
>>
Anyone else finished TGO yet?
>>
File: The-Raid-Redemption-2011.jpg (235KB, 1024x770px) Image search: [Google]
The-Raid-Redemption-2011.jpg
235KB, 1024x770px
What's the fantasy equivalent of pic related?
>>
File: alloy_map_1_world-webres.png (272KB, 795x1200px) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_1_world-webres.png
272KB, 795x1200px
Let's talk about dat dere Xeelee Sequence.

Is the recent (last year) short story collection decent? I didn't see a copy up on bibliotik but I'll look elsewhere eventually. Still sad Uvarov died the way he did, and Spinner isn't 3D.
>>
Has anyone been reading John C. Wright's recent ongoing serial? I'm a fan of his but I haven't gotten around to it myself.
>>
>>8283111
Halfway done.

Lots of fucked up shit. A couple big plot revelations. Pretty satisfying.
>>
>>8283112
As in shitloads of action and violence? You might like something like powder mage
>>
>>8283127
powder mage was just ok.
The ending was shit though, didn't feel satisfying at all.
>>
>>8283132
Of course a guy taught by Sanderson can't write endings
>>
>People say Sanderson is anime
>Expecting shit like a high fantasy setting slapped onto a modern world like our own
>The main party killing god at the end
>Archetypes out the ass
>The closest his writing gets to anime is the cringey dialogue and shounen battles/power ups

Fuck, do I have to write this shit myself?
>>
>>8283137
>the closest his writing comes to anime is having the most widely recognised traits of anime
>>
>>8283137
>not killing and replacing God
Which Sanderson are you reading?
>>
>>8283137
>do I have to write this shit myself?
No because I am.
>>
A Land Fit for Heroes is fucking hilarious

It's so over the top in it's grimdarkiness
>>
I liked the Sanderson one about how Jesus was a fraud
>>
>1/4 through The Great Ordeal
>Gay rape already

Seriously?
>>
File: TGO.jpg (243KB, 800x1175px) Image search: [Google]
TGO.jpg
243KB, 800x1175px
Have you grasped the absolute /lit/ ?
How's the ordeal going?
>>
>>8283277

>"grasping" the absolute
>"grasping" everything and nothing

absolutely fucking Dunyain
>>
>>8283261
There was child rape not even 5 pages into the first fucking book, what did you expect.
>>
Holy fuck, I just reread The Wizard of Earthsea for the first time in years. Was it always this great?
>>
File: 1468634939300.png (588KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1468634939300.png
588KB, 1440x810px
>>8283277
>>8283261
>the Dunyain breeding chamber
>>
File: 1467922858018.jpg (3MB, 3224x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1467922858018.jpg
3MB, 3224x2500px
>>8283261
>>8283318
>>8283371
So what I'm getting is that Bakker is basically a xXxSePhErOtH666xXx author.
>>
>>8283111
Don't have my copy yet. No spoilers pls.
>>
>>8283382
not really...There isn't a single "edgy thing" that happens without a reason. Everything has a purpose. I can't think of a shocking rape/murder etc happening only for bakker to show of...

>>8283371
>mommma

>>8283384
leave this place else it will break you

>>8283297
> God
> No God
>>
>>8283382

His books are dark and "obscene" but not really edgy.
>>
Check out the bakker discussion thread...maybe we can get some actual discussion going besides memes ( spoilers of course)
>>
>The man in the dinner plate scowled as a servant shoveled a heap of peas onto his brow. One day he would be free of this porcelain bondage, and his revenge would be as succulent as the cowflesh framing his jaw.
>>
>>8283408
This, pls phams.
>>
Does anyone else get... uncomfortable racial vibes from Stormlight Achives?
>>
>>8283408
>>8283432
Sorry, I've already decided to discuss the gay rape here.

The scenes of hell were actually pretty fucked up.
>>
HERE: >>8283192

>>8283442
what scenes? did I miss them ?
>>
>>8283424
This from your unpublished work?
>>
>>8283452
>what scenes? did I miss them ?

The first chapter.

"He comes to the shore that is here, always here, gazes without sight across waters that are fire, and sees the Sons swimming, lolling and bloated and bestial, raising babes as wineskins, and drinking deep their shrieks."

Not so much that part but the revelation that all of the gods are utterly inhuman, basically just abstract concepts, and use living souls for sustenance. Not playing along means you go to hell and suffer for all eternity. So either the Consult wins and everyone dies, or the Consult loses and everyone goes to hell.

Wew.

Also Serwe is burning in hell.

Loving this grimdark.
>>
>>8283454
The angry man on the plate sneered contemptuously as roasted meats and vegetables were placed upon his face.

"Duke Weidimar, this new china you have obtained is certainly... exotic" murmured General Voskan as gravy pooled on the man's brow, obscuring the generic rage smouldering in his eyes. "From farest Cathay did you say?"

"Indeed, and at great expense as you can imagine" he replied, pleased that the plates had been noticed, "only one of the latest acquisitions for my collection. I am expecting another shipment from my agents in the coming month that promises to be quite exquisite."

"Ah. Indeed. Money well spent I assume?" said the General as he eyed the plate like a sailor in a foreign port who had been beset by swarthy locals.

"Indeed. They say it includes a tourine featuring 'improbably muscled beasts'" said the duke as Duchess Katarina rolled her eyes and peas beaded on the man's cheeks like sweat.

The angry man glared frightfully as the palace staff began serving the third course.
>>
>>8283342
No. It rewrote itself when you weren't looking so it could surprised you.
>>
>>8283436
Yes.
>>
>>8283436
>uncomfortable racial vibes
My wife's boyfriend and I both agree.
>>
Finished reading the Dresden Files a while back.
Are there any other novels with the same setting while I wait for Peace Talks?
>>
>>8283488
this is my fetish
>>
Reading A Wizard of Earthsea right now.
Anyone find that it has a very distinct feel to it? The material is obviously derivative but something about her writing gives it a unique vibe.
>>
>>8283436
You're meant to.
>>
>>8283122
Endurance isn't very good to be honest, by far the weakest of the three Xeelee Sequence Anthologies, the couple original stories feel, to put it simply unfinished, like single chapters in a longer story, same as Gravity Dreams (it reads like an introduction to what should have been a fully fledged Raft 2) which you can't find anywhere else outside the ridiculously expensive hardcover. The Old Earth stories are fine if you've never read them before but none of the important mysteries trough the book get explained aside from very vague hints that just leave you blueballed. All in all it feels like a rushed "bridge" anthology and Baxter hintedin an interview there will be a final book where we might actually see the Xeelee themselves in all their spacetime defect glory.

If it makes you feel any better he didn't suffer long, Lieserl was only aware of the connection failing due to her nature as a virtual construct allowed he to operate on her processors' time, Uvarov just froze to death rather fast and his crazy design might live on in the new universe if the people in the Great Northern decide to go the natural route for immortality/evolution. I'm kinda bummed there are compratively few stories that explore that semi-utopic period from where all of Superet's projects were launched, it looks like right after Timelike Infinity things just kept going to shit for humanity and never really recovered, if it wasn't being beaten to shit by aliens it was humans going fucking crazy one way or the other like during the long ass Coalition era.
>>
Just finished dune, didn't like it desu had to force myself toward the end
>>
>>8283382
Well his edgy philosophy is totally disproved irl
>>
File: Hyperion_cover.jpg (56KB, 230x400px) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion_cover.jpg
56KB, 230x400px
I am about 80% through this and I have a few minor questions.

1) What was the Great Mistake?
2) What is the All Thing?
>>
>>8284127
why don't you finish both books before asking
>>
File: 1467011744773.jpg (6KB, 487x423px) Image search: [Google]
1467011744773.jpg
6KB, 487x423px
>>8284129
Fiiiiiine I will
>>
>>8284127
>1) What was the Great Mistake?
This post
>>
>>8284127
The great mistake is explained in the novel, if you've not finished it yet then don't read on but a team in Kiev "accidentally" created a black hole at the centre of the Earth, I won't say any more than this.

The All Thing is basically the web forum where the super-internet discuss things, it's covered more in the second book.

Simmons really loves overwhelming you with his words for things. I was a tad confused when I begun Dune but nothing compared to the confusion experienced in the first chapter of Hyperion. Another reason it gets so much better upon a second reading.
>>
Wish fantasy authors would stop doing multiple pov's

Instead of 5 crappy stories why not tell one good one?
>>
>>8283589
Daniel Faust books by Craig Schaefer are extremely similar.
>>
I'm reading Asimov's Foundation and have a question.

So the planet Terminus hosts Foundation correct? I'm confused because sometimes in the book another planet at the opposite end of the galaxy is referenced, or maybe I misinterpreted?
>>
>>8284329

Instead of 1 good story why not tell five good stories?
>>
>>8284422
Because almost none of them are good enough writers to pull that off
>>
>>8284428

So what makes you think they'd be able to come up with 1 good story?
If they had 5 crappy stories, it would be 4 crappy and 1 good, if the author was capable of writing a good story, no?
>>
>>8284431
They can put all their focus on one good one.
>>
>>8284431
Because with one story you only have to worry about the pacing of a single story

When an author does like 5, they're balancing the five individual stories alongside the pacing of the book itself, this is almost never done well.

Also multiple Pov's make your world seem really small when you inevitably have them all meet up.
>>
>>8284431
Good = 1
1/5 = 0.2

Instead of a quality of 1, you get 5 stories of the quality 0.2
>>
>>8284441

So if he wrote 1 word he would get a story of near infinite quality?
>>
>>8284452
Yes :)
>>
>>8284388
Yes Terminus holds foundation. All is revealed later.
>>
>>8284465
OK thanks for clearing it up. Its starting to make sense but still confusing at times.
>>
>>8284438
I agree wth the gist of this post.

In my own novel I have one central POV but I'm considering adding another one who shows an entirely different side of the world and information that would be important later on. And that would be it. Never anymore than two if I simply have to do it.
>>
>>8284477
Asimov writes curiously, like a rather incompetent historian. If you find yourself truly confused I would recommend perhaps delving into the wiki of re-reading sections, you don't want to get confused.
>>
I don't browse /lit/ oftend and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how would someone just starting out get sci-fi/fantasy published?
>>
>>8284479
I don't mind two, or maybe even three

I think 4's the point at which your story starts to get really spread out
>>
>>8284489
write short stories and get published in small journals enough so that you've made a bit of a name for yourself
Find a friend or a friend of a friend or a friends dad or some distant person who have a slight connection with who works in publishing and ask them to review your work
Then just cross ya fingers and wait
>>
>>8284489
Most publishing companies take submissions, google your question and you'll see some good advice
>>
>>8284497
>write short stories and get published in small journals enough so that you've made a bit of a name for yourself
how viable is this really nowadays, it dosent seem like people even read short stories
>>
>>8283436

The books are very clearly intentionally exploring race.

One thing I really, really like about the books is that literally only one race in the books (the Shin) are a race we have here on Earth (caucasians). The Alethi are a korean/spaniard/black hybrid, the Parshmen are entirely unique, every race except the Shin has asian eyes, etc.

book 3 clearly gonna play even more with the parshendi racial stuff. should be interesting. i think book 4 is meant to be Eshonais.
>>
>>8284502

yeah its not viable for getting an audience audience but it can be viable for getting an industry audience

i kinda disagree with other anon though, and id say - if you have the time - just write novels. write a few, until you get good at it (sandersons 8th written novel was his first published). if you wanna be really really good at writing novels, writing short stories isnt gonna help completely because its a different format and skill

watch these https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2FCD81A6FE4280AC they are a university class taught by Brandon Sanderson, one of the bestselling genre writers today, covering both the writing aspects and the selling aspects (stuff like getting published, getting an agent, etc). people from his classes have become legit published authors, so the advice is sound
>>
>>8284521
Thanks bro. I'm actually in the process of editing my first novel now and I'd rather go "straight for the gold" to get that published if I can. Its supposed to part of a series, so I'm thinking of doing a Gaskun and writing them all before publishing.

By now I've done dozens of short stories but they're all in the realm of "flash fiction" rather than say a 10 page "short story". Just a few lines with lots of implication. I cant really see myself building up an audience with those as they seem more supplementary to what would be my flagship work.
>>
File: Szeth.jpg (179KB, 825x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Szeth.jpg
179KB, 825x1100px
>>8283925
Welp that's disappointing to find out. It would be cool to see the Xeelee at some point. At first, I was kind of aggravated that we never see them but I do like how he kept them completely 100% off-screen so now it will be a matter of if he can show them on-screen properly and without disappointment. Which major mysteries need explaining?

I know. He fell asleep/passed out and that was it. I didn't care for him at first but he grew on me very strongly as a character all throughout the book. Maybe due to his trait of open honesty all the time. Humanity had it rough in their self-obsession and insistence upon becoming top dog of the galaxy. Too bad 'umies could never roll with the big dawgs.

>>8284517
Fun fact: The Listeners (Parshendi) are the oldest race on Roshar.
>>
>>8283589
Talking about Dresden Files. Is there any books that deal with possession?
Like how Dresden had a passenger, and in Night Angel Trilogy, Kylar had a passenger that talked to him also.

It's nice reading and having dual perspectives. Also do you guys think that Dresden has some "lashes" still remaining on his head? Or was all burnt out?
>>
>>8284329
If you don't like multiple POVs don't read books with multiple POVs.

Done.
>>
>>8284781
They're complaining about a trend that's now in almost every book in the genre

"don't read them lol" doesn't really work when criticising something that widespread
>>
>>8284790
It really isn't.
>>
>download books based on recommendations but don't read them until months later
>now reading some lame shit where people are throwing colours about
I need to find whoever recommended this and punch them
>>
How do you write good prose?
>>
>>8285062
Step 1. Learn Grammer
>>
>>8285062
Read lots of good prose and work out why it's good
>>
>>8285068
Wasn't his sentence grammatically correct?

>>8285062
It has to flow naturally.
>>
>>8285456
There's more to it than dotting your eyes. There are many structural and rhetorical techniques that can help take your prose to the next level. "Flow" as in the sound is just one part of it.

I recommend The New Oxford Guide to Writing. It opened my eyes to many things and took much legwork out the research. John Gardner touches upon it too in his Art of Fiction.
>>
>>8285479
dotting your i's lol
>>
File: 1467939844775.gif (2MB, 181x292px) Image search: [Google]
1467939844775.gif
2MB, 181x292px
Just finished metro 2033... that ending was fucked up. do the dark friends survive in the sequel? Do they try again? Or is it an all out war?
People just want to wallow in pig shit and mushrooms huh?

>tfw no qt darkone to cuddle with and have my babies
Why live?
>>
>>8284766
Can I get an answer and some recommendations here please?
>>
>>8285007
Shades of gray, warbreaker, or Lightbringer
Which one?
>>
>>8285675
Lightbringer

It's actually an okay adventure novel now that the author's stopped spending every other line explaining his magic system
>>
>>8285680
That's a really bad series.
>>
>>8285680
I hate that Sanderson's started a trend of magic being explained in complete detail

The whole concept of magic is something that's unexplained and beyond comprehension
>>
>>8285684
I'll see, I don't really have an issue with schlocky action so long as it stays schlocky, I read that stuff to have a break in between complex novels.

What does piss me off is stuff like patrick rothfuss where it's still schlock but it's also really slow and overwritten
>>
>>8285702
>I'll see, I don't really have an issue with schlocky action so long as it stays schlocky, I read that stuff to have a break in between complex novels.
Why not read Fafhrd then?
>>
>>8285689
>The whole concept of magic is something that's unexplained and beyond comprehension
Says who? You are just exposing your green scales and sharp teeth with this post.

The whole magic is mysterious schlock has been done to death. So much so, that authors feel they can pull their deus ex machina out their ass at any moment, and we they readers will accept it.

Magic that is structured, with clearly defined boundaries just immerses the reader deeper into the world. It's like science fiction, where they explain the ability /function, and it leaves you wondering if someday, this can actually happen. It gives your imagination more sustenance, so it can in turn keep you strong and well fortified.

The only people I see crying about "magic systems" being structured are old fucking dinosaurs, with dried up imaginations who read Tolkien, and expect everything to follow in his footsteps. They expect to be lead by the fucking hand all the way through a novel, and hate the fact that they have to use their brains while reading.

You cunts fucking make me sick.
>>
File: 1325232321101.jpg (359KB, 1000x1362px) Image search: [Google]
1325232321101.jpg
359KB, 1000x1362px
Any of you guys authors or aspiring authors? I've been working on a batch of short stories and I'm not really sure where to submit them.

They're pretty traditional fantasy (swords, sorcery, magic towers, etc.) and it seems like most genre magazines prefer 'surreal' and scifi types of stories.
>>
So I need a short break between books 9 and 10 of WoT, and I was thinking short story.

Any recs? Can be anything as long as it's good and takes my mind off WoT. I hear this next book is gonna be turbo shit.
>>
>>8285787
Terminal Beach is worth a look if you like scifi
>>
>>8285754
The magic being structured isnt a problem, its when you break everything down in autistic detail and ruin the flow of the story to explain it like a bad anime. Thats the danger to be avoided.
>>
>>8285689
>>8285808
I'd say JK Rowling is the one who really set that trend in motion. Of course, there's precedent for it in the HP novels, since they're about going to magic school. But the authors following her example don't get that; they just want to pointlessly elaborate on their settings like it's some sort of D&D campaign.
>>
>>8285770
Look at whatever fantasy books you have around and see who published them, or search for agents who deal in fantasy.
>>
>>8285770
Read the fucking thread. Someone asked this shit a few posts above you.
>>
>>8285787
Anything from The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories by Meme Wolfe.
>>
>>8285814
>they just want to pointlessly elaborate on their settings like it's some sort of D&D campaign.

I never played d&d, but I do agree they need to incorporate their explanations better. Instead of stopping and having an info-dump, they should string the abilities and their explanations through the first quarter of the book.

Better yet, write it in such a way that everything is explained in the book, just that the reader will have to figure it out from hints and observations, nothing too deep like Wolfe. I don't see them going this root though, a lot of Americans are fucking stupid, and can't read into hints. It would go over their heads, and thus tank the sales. Author would be writing self published gay dino porn on Amazon within a month.
>>
What are your favorite single-volume/standalone Scifi/Fantasy stories everybody? I'm thinking of making a recommendation chart, because sometimes it's nice to just read a single book and not 5 volumes of the Overwrought Fantasy/Space Name Cycle.
>>
>>8285614
This is huge spoilers for Metro Last Light, but if you don't want to play through the game to find out: the canon ending for Metro 2033 is the one where you nuke the shit out of the Dark Ones, but some survive and one in particular features very prominently in Metro: Last Light. Depending on how you play they can come in to help you achieve the Good ending.
>>
>>8285855
Don't make a chart of books you haven't read.
>>
>>8285821
I'm asking about magazines and short story markets, not novel markets. Turn that frown upside down, chief.
>>
>>8285855
Although I do agree with the general sentiment of preferring standalone works, its very much a truth that some stories can only be told in an extended format. The difference being whether the author wastes time or not.

Bakker, for example dosent waste time, every book counts. Hell even Book of the New Sun is technically 4 books.
>>
>>8285862
http://letswriteashortstory.com/literary-magazines/
>>
>>8285770
There's a webzine called Cirsova that's been trying to revive S&S, from what I've read of it their quality's pretty low so you might get in. They do pay a few peanuts iirc.
>>
>>8285855
Martian Chronicles from Bradbury got some of my favourites.

They're short stories of high quality.
>>
>>8285867
Thanks, anon. Sad to see that Tor.com closed its doors to unsolicited submissions.

Seems like it's getting harder and harder for new blood to gets their foot in the door.

>>8285876
Thanks -- there's not enough demand for stories in the same vein as Vance and Howard. Seems like the hot new thing is transplanting contemporary issues and identity crises into vaguely scifi settings. Maybe I'm just autistic and old fashioned.
>>
>>8283404
Anon, an important step in grasping the absolute in memelit, is acknowledging that you're reading it for the GRI, not in spite of it.
>>
I'm reading Warbreaker, and I'm getting real tired of people "Raising an eyebrow" to shit people are saying. Its like its a fucking dreamworks movie or some shit.
>>
File: mb03_symbols-webres.jpg (81KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
mb03_symbols-webres.jpg
81KB, 750x500px
>>8286056
Sanderson has little creativity when it comes to character actions. There is much eyebrow raising throughout the original Mistborn trilogy as well. Other actions are a bit obvious in their repetition.
>>
>>8285857
Is last light the next book?
>>
>>8286458
vidya
>>
>>8285824
>The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories

The kid from that is how I imagine /sffg/ as a child.
>>
Why aren't you reading The Illustrated Man,anon?
>>
>>8284114
what do you mean? Don\t we live in exactly the same world as he ?
>>
>>8286530
I'm reading the great Ordeal. I want to save my soul from damnation
>>
>>8286691
Did he bugger you?
>>
File: sycla_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg (526KB, 1640x2438px) Image search: [Google]
sycla_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg
526KB, 1640x2438px
>finish Arc of the Dream
>feel empty
Shit.
>>
>>8285624
In the veins of what you're asking, there is something in Revelation Space.
And more on the subject of the blurring lines of personal identity in Chasm City, iirc.
>>
>>8285857
Last Light isn't canon, sadly, even if it's better than 2034.

>>8286458
2034 is the next book. I'd recommend just going through the Wikipedia summary, it's not really worth reading. Waiting to see if 2035 gets translated before i learn enough Russian to read it, they said it's better than 2034.
>>
File: avvenire.jpg (647KB, 2937x1288px) Image search: [Google]
avvenire.jpg
647KB, 2937x1288px
Would you read fantasy SOL? Or light plot, at most? Just witches chilling out, exploring a wild setting, with little in the way of danger and a lot in the way of relationship building.
>>
>>8285900
>Seems like the hot new thing is transplanting contemporary issues and identity crises into vaguely scifi settings.
Anon, the Island of Dr Moreau was a thinly veiled indictment of the then hot button issue of vivisection. Such stories may go in and out of vogue but they're hardly a new thing.
>>
>>8286691
There is NOTHING wrong with Ray Bradbury
>>
>>8286894
Just as long as the prose is dank, I really don't care about plot.
>>
File: 1468716813619.gif (13KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1468716813619.gif
13KB, 633x758px
>>8286694
>tfw your god emperor calls you into his tent for a private sermon
>think he's going to help you cultivate wisdom and inner strength
>instead takes off your clothes and assrapes you
>tells you that hell is real, and faggots like you burn there forever
>don't feel enlightened at all
>butt hurts
>>
>>8286979
He's just giving you extra motivation to help get that magic number below 144,000.
>>
File: sparta shoe dodge.gif (940KB, 340x240px) Image search: [Google]
sparta shoe dodge.gif
940KB, 340x240px
>There is another Titus Alone torrent on ***, however it is dead. I found this copy on usenet, and it is not the same as the existing torrent here. So, I'm upping this version. Please humbly accept my apologies and pull this if I went about this the wrong way. However, if your a fantasy reader/listener; the Gormenghast Trilogy imho should be required reading. Several of todays acclaimed authors cite Peake as THE inspiration for pursuit into fantasy writing.

Which one of you fucking dinosaurs upped this shit?
I know it had to be one of you fucks. I noticed a lot of books mentioned here get more traffic/are uploaded recently.
>>
>>8286894
There's a billion mangas like that already so it better be good
>>
>>8286918
Even fucking Foundation is based off of a popular debate topic of the time
>>
>>8286894
So something kind of like "Long Way To A Small Angry Planet" but fantasy? Sure.
>>
>>8287037
Books are getting uploaded because more and more people have ereaders, it's sod all to do with 4chan
>>
>>8286894
Sort of like Grace Livingston Hill, but marketed to young guys? I'd be down with it.
>>
>>8286918
>>8287064
>vaguely
The science was interesting in both of those books, it wasn't a veneer to get it on the genre shelf.
>>
>>8287071
particular books mentioned in these threads.
I've seen some people ask about black company, say they will try it, and when i check my client 10 people are leeching the complete Black Company books.
>>
>>8287113
tbf if you look at the fantasy reddit there's someone recommending black company once every 8 hours or so
>>
>>8287037
>>8287071
When you reading the uploaders notes you can see this guy is an elitist, he's probably vex no one reads his boring books

>"[Peake's books] are actual additions to life; they give, like certain rare dreams, sensations we never had before, and enlarge our conception of the range of possible experience." (C.S. Lewis)
Who the fuck cares what Cs Lewis thinks in this day and age?
That is what you use to try and entice readers? The Wardrobe are shit books.
>>
Anyone read Monster Hunter international?
Is it any good?
>>
>>8287129
Lewis wrote more than children's books mate
>>
>>8286894
Sure. I've found some fantasy adaptations of Jane Austen novels that weren't reviewed well.
>>
>>8287149
Jane Austen characters stress out way to much for her books to be iyashikei. I know what you mean, though, gentle reading for old people and the very religious.
>>
>>8287126
>>8287113
is the black company written well?
>>
>>8287169
Yes, although it's not got lovely prose or anything.

The whole thing is from the perspective of jaded soldier, recording the deeds of his company. At no point does that characterisation break down.
The books are actually popular with soldiers irl because they find the portrayal accurate.

IMO Cook's one of the better worldbuilders in fantasy despite deliberately creating an unrealistic world. It feels like an actual setting, rather than just a stage for his characters

To compare that to a bad writer Rothfuss has lovely prose and geography but in his books the narrative perspective isn't convincing and the world doesn't feel like more than a set of locations.
>>
>>8287141
>Monster Hunter international

Baen vanity-published memebooks for reddit.
>>
>>8287200
sounds good mate, i'll add it to the docket.
>>
>>8287215
Stick with it at least until the end of the first book, the start's a bit iffy but if you don't like it by the end of the book you won't like the series
>>
>>8287200
Backing up this anon. Black Company is great.

However, as anon pointed out, it's rather realistic as far as the Company character perspectives go. Don't go into this series thinking or expecting the PoV character or the Company to suddenly develop powers or become all-strong or some shit. They're normal regular soldiers (aside from the ~2 small-time magicians) doing normal regular soldier things in an abnormal world.

I did like how some of the magic was used in a practical sense, like one of the magicians would reapply a spell to the Company members every 2-3 years or so in order to keep their teeth clean; otherwise, they would fall out.
>>
Have any of you guys ever ready Dying Inside by Robert silverberg? The premise seems pretty interesting, I was just wondering if it was worth a read
>>
File: fugDDDDD.png (8KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fugDDDDD.png
8KB, 640x480px
>Serwë went to hell
>>
>>8287332
desu at this stage what character ISNT going to hell?
>>
>>8287317
It's fantastic, proper literature like
>>
>Bakker writes pretty weird fantasy
>I wonder how he got published?
>He was friends with someone in the industry

Goddamnit. There really isn't any point if you're a nobody, is there?
>>
>>8287368

>muh "industry"

publish a web novel instead, publishing is dying.
>>
>>8287141
It's entertaining enough; just don't expect anything highbrow. It's also very right-wing which is refreshing, BUT the MC is pretty much the author's self-insert.
>>
>>8287379
I don't know if I believe that. I think it's declining, but at a glacial pace. New assholes are sliding into bestselling positions all the time.
>>
>>8287379
Or just do Amazon if you actually want money
>>
File: 16090345.jpg (88KB, 302x475px) Image search: [Google]
16090345.jpg
88KB, 302x475px
If any of you can find pic related for download I'll be your best friend forever.
>>
>>8287399
Amazon pays about as well as you're able to pump out incredibly prolific erotica that you have to force yourself to write like some sort of soulsucking day job.
>>
>>8287415
i dunno, Gaskun had a pretty good turnout IIRC
>>
>>8287379
>web novel
Those are popular?
>>
>>8287317
Silverberg writes good sci-fi, especially in that prolific period he had in the late sixties/early seventies, which includes Dying Inside. For me he is with Philip K Dick in this period; but more with more poetic, literary, velvet-like prose.
>>
>>8287379
Traditional big presses are but the industry as a whole is actually near a boom period
>>
>>8287463
>millions of minimum-wage losers getting pocket change from writing ten-volume novel series
Is this the future of publishing?
>>
>>8285855
The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay
Brasyl by Ian MacDonald
The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway
The Revolutions by Felix Gilman
The Folding Knife/The Hammer/Sharps by KJ Parker
The Innkeeper's Song/The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
The Anvil of the World by Kage Baker
God's Demon by Wayne Barlowe
Escape from Hell! by Hal Dunacn
>>
>>8287521
Yes.
>>
>>8287521
No.
>>
>>8287521
I don't know.
>>
>>8283318
Question marks at the end of interrogatives. That's what I expect.
>>
>>8283342
Yah, bro. Me too. It was a blast.
Maybe it was the lack of Hairy Poorer sentimentality that made it seem X2 awesome.
>>
>>8287666
>>8283342
Imagine if Le Guin was an aspiring writer today. Would agents even give her manuscripts a cursory glance?

>Where's the romance?
>Where's the funny character?
>Magic system isn't developed enough
>Why do the characters all sound so boring???
>>
>>8283342
>the dead otak
>"master, i go hunting"
>ged opines on the silence and the word
>the ocean turns to sand

seriously goat
>>
>>8287332
>>8287707
There's literally spoiler thread for this book, please use it bros.
>>
>>8287444
>>8287362
Good to know guys, I'm going to start reading it asap
>>
>>8283342

Yes. I always say it's like Harry Potter if it had been written by a competent, non-hack writer.
>>
Red pill me on Kruppe
>>
>>8288215
Human manifestation of the dragon father that created the warrens.

Literally everything he does is an attempt to score dragon pussy for the first time in five hundred thousand years.

He fucks the otataral dragon right in her big green cloaca and unmakes the universe in a fucked up sex scene that lasts nearly half of the book and got Erikson permanently banned from several conventions. You should have seen the threads. Literally dragon erotica for four months straight. It even spilled onto /tg/ and forced the mods to get involved. Good shit, man.
>>
>>8286121
I noticed this as well only by reading Final Empire, If i a had a penny for every time the word "frowned" was used, I would be a billionaire.
>>
>>8288239

Every author has repetitions in some ways
>Words they like to use
>Phrases
etc
>>
>>8288241
I do not mind authors having words they like to use, it's just that some words are being used to the point where its so noticeable that it tires me out. That's what I felt like in the first book, of course other people might have noticed it or be bothered as much as I was.
>>
>>8283044
Yes, it's my favorite Clarke book. The characters are still rather wooden, but it's less egregious than in his other works.
>>
>>8288230

I don't think this is true
>>
>>8286775
Looking for more in the lines of fantasy. I had scifi where people shared head space with AIs, not talking about that.
>>
File: arelon_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg (570KB, 1640x2438px) Image search: [Google]
arelon_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg
570KB, 1640x2438px
>>8288241
Not necessarily to Sanderson's extent.
>>
Your thoughts on Eragon?
>>
Thoughts on the Red Rising trilogy?
>>
>>8288733
everyone wishes they wrote it
>>
>>8288733
>>8288741
series for 10 year olds. If you're above that don't bother.
>>
>>8287397
>but at a glacial pace
It isn't "glacial", certain publishers are seeing a massive YOY decline.

It's even worse at houses like Tor and Orbit, they're in full-blown panic mode.
>>
>writing a novel
>27k words in and literally nothing has happened

What do I do?
>>
>>8288765
You change the hair colour of your protag to red.
>>
>>8288765
Call it "The Fellowship of the Ring".
>>
>>8287655
>what are indirect questions
>>
>>8288765
Try to understand why.

Protip, you really want to start with your protag already beginning to do something and entering conflict. Have a look at Homer and how he immediately starts when shits getting live.
>>
>>8288733
The first book is an okay children's book, if still utterly unoriginal

The sequels are horrific
>>
>>8288771
nice
>>
tfw too far into a crappy book to quit
>>
>>8288806
>>8288733

I found the first book enjoyable but Eldest has to be one of the most boring turds I've ever read, Brisingr was actually not that bad and I liked how he tried to deviate from the Star Wars comparison a little. I didn't even bother to buy the fourth book.

Also I dare you to flip to any opening chapter and not be surprised at reading the opening lines as "Eragon opened his eyes or woke up." It's incredibly annoying how much that happens throughout the novel.
>>
>>8288870
I got to the dragon sex in the third book IIRC

Even as a kid it was obvious that what I was reading was shit
>>
>>8288866
>tfw on Malazan book 10
>wish I'd quit after 7 and pretended everyone lived happily ever after
Erikson really lost it. Where the hell was his editor?
>>
>>8288875

>Dragon sex
Remind me how that went again, was it because Eragon's dragon wanted to fuck his teacher's dragon or Eragon's dragon wanting to fuck him?
>>
Where can I get a copy of The Great Ordeal ebook? I can't fucking wait till September!
>>
>>8288941
Amazon
>>
>>8288941

>he isn't capable of pirating an ebook, a task well within the capabilities of a retarded toddler

Sasuga Bakkerfags
>>
>>8288903
I think the two dragons wanted to bang whilst he wanted to bang the girl but couldn't bang because she was an elf or something
>>
>>8288882
Editing standards for almost all fantasy novels are insanely low

Seems like it's just something publishers think they can get away with, probably because they've managed to make shite like Goodkind bestsellers
>>
>>8288733

It's pretty simple and light reading, I'd definitely recommend it to a growing up boy alongside things like Harry Potter to ease him into reading.

For an adult reader? Fuck no
>>
>>8288947
Amazon tells me that the ebook will be available on 29 Sept. 2016

>>8288991
I've searched through Pirate Bay, gen.lib.rus.ec and etc but found nothing. Where did you get it?
>>
>>8288882
>>tfw on Malazan book 10
>>wish I'd quit after 7 and pretended everyone lived happily ever after

What happened?
I'm on book 3
>>
>>8289094
Where do you live? I bought it like three days ago. USA here.
>>
Looking for good fantasy stories published in online mags. Any suggestions?
>>
>>8289105
rocks fall
>>
>>8289107
I'm from Europe, maybe that's the problem? But even if I use Amazon.com is says the Publication Date is September 29, 2016.

This is strange as fuck man, I don't know what to do
>>
>PoV narrative
>you know everything the character knows
>until the author withholds some detail to create a twist/reveal
This is horseshit, it's literally breaking the rules of your own story
>>
>>8289168
The only case I've seen that is Locke Lamora (when he's told his real name but we dont know it), but it was never anything super offensive.
>>
>>8289168
Someone mentioned Lightbringer earlier, that series is horrific for that

Half of the secrets don't even make sense to be secrets as they're only known to one character, yet he still lies to the reader
>>
>>8289197
It's not the same but a lot of fantasy does
"OH IT'S YOU"
*is killed*
>>
>>8289020
>Seems like it's just something publishers think they can get away with

It isn't the publishers, why do you think authors often go quiet for years at a time and then suddenly pop-up on different publishers? Massive fucking egos.
>>
>>8289139
If you can get another way to access the North American amazon try that, I think its strange too.
>>
>>8289105
Erikson starts introducing lots of incredibly bland characters in boring and irrelevant plotlines, all the while spending inordinate amounts of time on introspection and talking directly to the reader about war, compassion, power, etc over and over and over and over again. If you asked me what the problem was, why, I would reply that Erikson planted his head quite firmly up his own ass. Also, as I found out in this book's acknowledgements, his wife didn't take his last name.
>>
I just joined a book club where we're supposed to trade books every couple of monthes, round robin style, and I know I'm over thinking this but I can't decide which book to bring for the first round, I just moved to this town so I don't want to come off as too much of a weirdo. Ok now that my life story is done here's my 3 choices. The Nightland (Hodgsen), The Void Chronicles (Herbert), or my Solomon Kane omnibus (Howard). I know the last one isn't sci fi
>>
>>8289288
cant go wrong with Herbert, you can even ship it like "People know him for Dune but this is another gem"
>>
>>8289304
That's what I was thinking too, thanks for quelling my autism
>>
>>8289077

>It's ok for kids to read utter shit

I couldn't disagree more. A book being for kids is no fucking excuse for it being shit.
>>
>>8289203

>"OH IT'S YOU"
>*is killed*

Poor fucking Asmodean. He never asked for this.
>>
>>8289288
You could go the safe route and bring some PKD since he's pretty entry level
>>
>>8289446
and then you have to read a fucking glossary to find for sure who it was lol
>>
>>8289442

I think it's better to give a kid something they might enjoy instead of forcing them to slog through something clearly not aimed at a young reader
>>
Recommend me some fantasy not taking place in a Tolkien derivative world, I find a lot of modern novels and series have a problem with this because it limits their imagination on the things they can do.
>>
>>8289504
Bakker.
>>
>>8289504
Titus Groan
>>
File: A'Tuin.jpg (473KB, 2500x1945px) Image search: [Google]
A'Tuin.jpg
473KB, 2500x1945px
>>8289504
I was going to post this.>>8289508
so I'll just recommend Discworld instead.
>>
>>8289504
Bas-Lag trilogy (mostly the first two)
>>
>>8289508

Already read and loved, one of my favourite books and I love the description of Steerpike on top of the roof. One of my favourite passages in literature.

>>8289507

I've got the first couple books on my shelf but I need to get round to it.
>>
>>8289504

There isn't much anon. You can either read grimdark edgy spilled guts and rape slop or high fantasy tolkien ripoffs

the only sub genre that seems to evade those two categories with any regularity seems to be cloak and dagger stuff which is riddled with it's own cliches
>>
>>8289519

I'm looking to read more pre-Tolkien fantasy, they seem like really cool and imaginative concepts. I also can't remember when the last stand alone fantasy came out, I think it may have been Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel? Good book but a bit boring at times, gets props for not being riddled in cliche in a lot of places but I wonder why people are so focused on writing trilogies as opposed to one stand alone novel? I understand it's just easier to market something as a trilogy I guess.
>>
File: The_black_company.pdf-065.jpg (216KB, 653x787px) Image search: [Google]
The_black_company.pdf-065.jpg
216KB, 653x787px
Which fantasy book that you've read has the best written romance?
>>
>>8289532
>Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel
This is the only book in years that I just couldn't get through.
>>
>>8289532

>I wonder why people are so focused on writing trilogies as opposed to one stand alone novel?

1. Put your mind to writing a book
2. Write a decent book that sells well
3. Write a few shitty sequels without putting any effort in
4. Laugh as you bathe in the fury and gold coins when your fans buy the disappointing garbage anyway

Trilogies are free money
>>
>>8289532
>>8289546
Sometimes an extended telling is necessary, like you couldnt tell Bakker's story in one book, and he's clearly not doing it for the money.

And the Gormenghast Trilogy was planned to have at least ten books.
>>
Any recommendations for obscure sci-fi that just makes you kind of go "wtf"?
>>
>>8289546
A lot of series have a weak first book and then get better though.

>>8289562
Ubik
>>
>>8289566

>A lot of series have a weak first book and then get better though.

What do you think that means commercially? A failure, because the first book fails to hype up the following ones. The sequels have to actually be good to salvage the situation at that point.
>>
>>8289566
I've read Ubik, thanks though. Anything else, maybe from a lesser known author?
>>
>>8289573
Sometimes an author just improves over time...
>>
>Another fucking Anasûrimbor

Will Dunyain fucking shits ever be removed?
>>
File: 1454634784739.jpg (84KB, 732x730px) Image search: [Google]
1454634784739.jpg
84KB, 732x730px
>>8289700
DID HE GRASP THE ABSOLUTE?
>>
>>8289457
I thought about it but the only PKD I have is electric sheep, I didn't want to come off as too much of a pleb
>>
>>8289288
I like The Night Land but foisting it on unsuspecting book club members is cruel.
>>
>>8289714
>>8289288

You could always give them The Night Land, a Story Retold, which is less dense than the original.
>>
400 odd pages into Gardens of the Moon, it's okay so far..

Is Shadowthrone supposed to be powerful? All we've seen of him so far is him getting bamboozled by Quick Ben and his hound Gear getting rekt
>>
Just read pic related. Slowly evolving plot, frequent flashbacks shedding light into the characters, swords, technology, mutants, fiends. 7/10 would approve.

Just don't read the sequel.

Suggest something new/recent to read.
>>
File: th.jpg (10KB, 205x300px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
10KB, 205x300px
>>8289771
Forgot pic
>>
>>8289771
The Buried Giant
>>
>>8289713
Oh please, the only place you would be considered a pleb for recommending electric sheep is probably this board. I highly doubt normies would think you're a pleb for recommending that book. Only people really into sci fi and /lit/ shitposters would
>>
>>8289546
Literally Mistborn and Blood Song
>>
>>8288733
>>8288806

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Paolini
>Homeschooled for the duration of his education, Paolini graduated from high school at the age of 15 through a set of accredited correspondence courses from the American School of Correspondence in Lansing, Illinois. Following graduation, he started his work on what would become the novel Eragon, the first of a series set in the mythical land of Alagaesia.

>In 2002, Eragon was published by Paolini International LLC, Paolini's parents' publishing company. To promote the book, Paolini toured over 135 schools and libraries, discussing reading and writing, all the while dressed in "a medieval costume of red shirt, billowy black pants, lace-up boots, and a jaunty black cap."[3] He drew the cover art for the first edition of Eragon, which featured Saphira's eye, along with the maps on the inside covers of his books.[4]

>In summer 2002, the stepson of author Carl Hiaasen found Eragon in a bookstore and loved it, so Hiaasen brought it to the attention of his publisher, Alfred A. Knopf.[5][6] Knopf subsequently made an offer to publish Eragon and the rest of the Inheritance cycle. The second edition of Eragon was published by Knopf in August 2003. At the age of nineteen, Paolini became a New York Times bestselling author.

ayy fucking lmao.
>>
>>8289791
So that's how you get published, have fucking parents in publishing
>>
I hear for a lot of books a complaint that goes like "X part is bad", "book Y in a series is weak" or "it takes a long time to get rolling". Which made me curious.

What books & series would you say are (close to-) consistently great, from start to finish?
>>
>>8289797

The Book of the New Sun.

Lord of the Rings.

The Chronicles of the Black Company.
>>
>>8289797
probably Book of the New Sun

I want to say Bakker as well but I last read the original trilogy like 3 years ago so eh, this newer one is fucking great though
>>
>>8289797
Malazan
>>
>>8288753
>red rising
>series for ten year olds
This just shows that people in this general don't actually read, they just shitpost about books and try to mislead people.

That book is filled with so much GRI I can't even, and you are implying it's for 10 year olds?

I wonder if people on lit actually read, or if they just all meme. I know your tactics, you say "give your thoughts on 'x', then you adopt people's opinions as your own instead of reading the fucking books you scum.
>>
>>8289795
What? You thought you get published because you wrote a good book?
>>
>>8289889
Look dude, it's okay if you like childrens books. Just don't force your opinions on actual adults here okay?
>>
>>8289809
Wrong.
>>8288882
>>
>>8289889
It is underage redditors trying to look cool and edgy by hating on things.
>>
>>8289267

>his wife didn't take his last name

The only ever valid reason for this could be if she was an only child and wanted to carry on her family name.
>>
>>8289926
What does it change if her children take the fathers name?
>>
>>8289797
Black Company and Discworld are both pretty consistent, even when the latter got weaker it was because the author was losing his mind
>>
>>8289930

Absolutely nothing.

The children have their father's family name or they get drowned at birth.

I thought this was standard practice?
>>
>>8289766
Yes he is supposed to be powerful but he is also not doing very much in gotm, the first poem (call to shadow) contains a hint about a lot of his motivations.

Quick Ben is also quite powerful and things getting rekt by Anomander rake is nothing unusual.
>>
File: 1468778164486.jpg (29KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
1468778164486.jpg
29KB, 500x350px
>>8289700
>>8289708

TWO fucking Anasûrimbor.

I will fucking throw my feces against a wall if Achamian gets cucked again.
>>
>>8290089
>these names
lmao bakker learn to fucking write
>>
>>8290095
the names are easy m8, they have a nice ring too if you bother to sound them out
>>
>>8289899
Your autism physically hurts me anon
>>
>>8290095
>>8290101

>not ctrl f replacing all instances of Akka and Achamian with Cucka and Cuckamian
>>
Is the Instrumentalities of the Night series any good?
>>
>>8289889
YA marketing is annoying

You can call anything YA and get more sales, which unfortunately means that some good shit gets hidden in the YA ghetto because the publisher marketed it as YA
>>
>>8290122
Like?

Is Cinder good btw
>>
>>8288741
Did you like Ender's Game?

Would you have liked it to turn out better and with less bullshit drama and Ender acting like a bitch?

Then Red Rising is for you! Push through the initial bullshit and hunger games comparison

Even though there's no space battles till the second book, it's well worth having a space opera not dictated by cliches and good-guy-wins nonsense

Also people who usually have a boner for ancient rome like it, since that's the major influence for the majority of the book
>>
>>8290112
Do not bully.

Akka is a good boy who did literally nothing wrong. Dunyain genocide best day of my life
>>
>>8290122
>>8290127
Red Rising was marketed as YA to attract the very lucrative market base of 18-26 year olds

After the rape, rape, murder, decapitation and incest/rape it abandons any facades of being Y/A
>>
>>8290147
YA is more like 12-16.
>>
>>8290151
well, kiddies gotta learn about the horror of reality sooner or later
>>
man nothing grabs me anymore after BOTNS what do I do? what do I read? save me
>>
>>8290201

You wanna swap places?

I have a shitty memory and I keep forgetting books, or rather everything but the vaguest of outlines, and what they were about every two or so years and I keep rereading them.
>>
>>8290201
BOTNS?
What does this stand for?
new to /lit/ soz
>>
>>8290224
book of the new sun
>>
>>8290227
Who is it written by and is it worth reading?
>>
>>8290238
haha this guy
>>
>>8290243
when i said I was new to /lit/ I meant this was my first time here.
>>
>>8290238
You should start with Taipei by Tao Lin he really introduces you to the epic that is Book of the new sun
>>
>>8290256
Then stop posting and lurk retard.
>>
>>8290256
It's by Gene Wolfe and yes it's worth reading, but if you're literally new to books I'd take some time to read other works before tackling BONTS, its a dense one.

Perhaps Fifth Head of Cerberus, by the same author, it can get you familiar with his style.
>>
>>8290268
New to the board, not books.
Been reading since I was a child, but I've never had a good connection to keeping up with new releases or anything of the like.
Thanks for the help mate, I'll probably start with Fifth Head of Cerberus.

>>8290261
I was planning to but I figured if a book was that good I'd bother myself to ask.

>>8290258
haha.
>>
>>8290261
Why? It's not as if newfags could be anymore cancerous like oldfags here >>8289899 and here >>8288753 who just shitpost cause they're neats
>>
>>8290281
Coolio, have fun dude.
>>
>>8290286
>waaah someone called me out for my underage reading tastes
>>
>>8290281
>haha.

I'm not joking you plebeian. Your simple mind cannot handle Gene Wolfe right now.
>>
>>8290295
>someone calls out my shitposting

>shitposting intensifies

Bestow more of your knowledge upon us anon, how can we reverse net entropy?
>>
>not being kind to your fellow anons
>>
>>8290299
I've read the books, why do you think laymen can't understand such simple concepts?

Do you also think Donnie Darko has a deeper hidden meaning besides teenage angst?
>>
>>8289903
Not wrong
>>
>>8290310
You can't even handle posting. Gene Wolfe is on another spiritual plane of existence.
>>
>>8290299
>Your simple mind cannot handle Gene Wolfe right now.
did you miss the part that I wasn't new to literature and only new to the board?
>>
>>8290306
If they can't be arsed to google who the author is of a book they've been given the title of then they deserve it desu
>>8290201
You read Dying Earth? try that or something like the Viriconium books
>>
>>8290320
>You can't even handle posting.
What, who are you talking to anon? Do you want us to use trips so you won't be confused?
>>
>>8290333
Calm down love. Gene Wolfe will soothe your pains.
>>
>>8290315
What's your argument? Erikson clearly lost it after the seventh book. He did not give a shit whether a particular storyline or PoV character was actually compelling, as long as we get muh convergence at the end.
>>
>>8283783
How derivative can it be ? I mean, its quite the old book, as far as fantasy goes, no ? Not flaming your opinion, just honestly wondering. I thought it was rather the contrary : you can clearly see authors such as Rowling or Rothfuss have read Le Guin.
In any case, I agree with you : it has a unique vibe. Or at least, it feels very different from contemporary fantasy. I really enjoyed it
>>
I am reading The Great Ordeal. This is the most depressing book I have ever read. Literally my spirit is Broken.I accept damnation.
>>
>>8290134
>Push through the initial bullshit and hunger games comparison
desu I'd love a good novel based on something like hunger games

Battle Royale was only good as film
>>
Is wikipedia sufficient research for a novel?
>>
>>8290440
Depends entirely on what you need, but I wouldnt expect anything indepth. Its a good platform though.
>>
>>8290440
No
>>
>>8290440
No, but unless it's something very specific, the internet as a whole is.
>>
>>8290440
It's what I use, but only for very basic stuff like planets moons etc.

A good sci-fi book in my opinion shouldn't concern itself too heavily with pure science. Explanation of a process should come from characters reactions and thoughts on an object, not its objective engineered design.
>>
>Dunyain breeding chamber

Jesus Christ, it just keeps getting worse
>>
What do you think the chances of making a living from writing is?
>>
>>8290545
Not terrible in the long run, but pretty much nil when you first start out.
>>
>>8290545
Pretty easy to scrape one from writing shite
Very hard to make any remotely decent money

Glen Cook's fairly prolific and yet he was still working full time for most of his career
>>
>>8290440
It depends, for niche subjects definitely not.
>>
Holy fuck Hyperion is fucking good.

I've not been this into a book since I first read Dune. And while I certainly appreciated Foundation it didn't give me the buzz Simmons is giving me with Hyperion.

Where does it fall flat? I hate to call anything perfect but these two books seem to be drawing close.
>>
>>8290630
Sometimes I feel like something is wrong with me. I hated Dune and dropped Foundation after 40 pages.

I haven't read Hyperion yet, I have a feeling I will like it so I hope it doesn't disappoint like those two.
>>
File: 1468784586494.jpg (70KB, 628x500px) Image search: [Google]
1468784586494.jpg
70KB, 628x500px
>>8290531
>its a Sorweel chapter
>>
>>8290635
Looking back while I loved Duma first reading it's not incredible. It succeeds in being entry level to more proper sci-fi. Plus it's a classic. Foundation is written like a history book and feels like one too.

Neither book actually discuss any actual ideas either, it's just universes telling stories. Dune is a cliche now and Foundation is literally the fall of Rome.

I don't blame you for disliking either, at least you tried to read them.
>>
>>8290649
>touch your face
>>
>>8290630
Hyperion and Fall of are great
Endymion and Rise of are weak

That's the consensus opinion
>>
>>8288882
>read the first four books
>most redeeming character was Itkovian
Itkovian was a rare breed of character in fantasy, known as someone who Does Not Fuck Around. Karsa was neat to read after he stopped being a faggot.And Mappo's ass turning into a brick factory anytime Icarium did anything wacky.
>>
File: tWoK_ENDSHEET-FRONT-1-webres.jpg (375KB, 1200x795px) Image search: [Google]
tWoK_ENDSHEET-FRONT-1-webres.jpg
375KB, 1200x795px
>Trainer doesn't let you rename items in Grim Dawn
>can't RP muh lightning herald to its full extent
>>
>>8284329
I tried to read a book someone got me for Christmas, it had a name like The Sword King of Dragons or something equally generic and something like the first 7 chapters were separate points of view.
>>
>>8290399
>good as a film
>when it was rushed as fuck

The manga(in which the original author took part of) fleshing out almost all the characters made it 10x better.
>>
>>8290545
If you keep at it you might be able to make money. Don't expect a book deal your first year, in fact don't expect to make any money at all your first year, but don't stop submitting manuscripts. Keep on submitting like every time will be your meal ticket. Without that kind of optimism and determination you won't make it.
>>
New bread where?
>>
>>8291417
Working on it
>>
>>8291417
>>8291421
NEW

>>8291459
>>8291459
>>8291459
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.