[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Wars Novels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_lhv1awzZT11qc2eojo1_1280.jpg (256KB, 852x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lhv1awzZT11qc2eojo1_1280.jpg
256KB, 852x1280px
Are any of the Star Wars novels actually worth reading?

I'm not expecting anything stellar but surely they can't all be trash?
>>
>>8276279
>surely they can't all be trash
define "trash"
>>
>surely they can't all be trash?

Why can't they?

I believe the consensus is that the Thrawn Trilogy is worth reading (in the sense it's a great story, not in the sense it's great literature), and the rest is steaming manure; but I'm no Jedi Master.
>>
There is always the Thrawn trilogy, which made even fans start taking the books seriously simply because it tells a cool story. The X-Wing series is also great and has excellent characters. I don't think anyone will argue about how good either of those series are.

Besides them most of the stuff is middling and you'll hear people picking out favorites here and there. It's best to go by the authors really, since a lot of garbage fantasy writers get Star Wars contracts. The good ones are:

Timothy Zahn
Michael Stackpole (if you can put up with Mary Sues)
Aaron Allston
Troy Denning
>>
>>8276279
>Are any of the Star Wars novels actually worth reading?
The Thrawn Trilogy
The Bane trilogy
Anything with Palpatine as the main character
I personally enjoyed the Kenobi novel
>>
>>8276365
>since a lot of garbage fantasy writers get Star Wars contracts

And also Karen Traviss.
>>
>>8276342
Uninspired story, ignoring the source material, bad or mediocre writing, unceative, uninteresting characters.

>>8276365
The Thrawn trilogy is one of the few novels I've read and aside from the gimmick of having one imperial genius tactician kick the rebels ass with just 4 ships, it's quite silly with the sith lord in the cave and those furry force-absorbing things.
>>
>>8276887
>The Bane trilogy

Sounds painful.
>>
>>8276279
matthew stover
>>
The bounty hunter trilogy. It covers how boba fett got out of the saarlac
>>
>>8276279

If you want the best from the SW unvierse, read Old Republic related books.

>>8277117

For you.
>>
A general rule with SW books is those with no MC (movie character) presence tend to be way better. MC with no or very minimal speaking roles are better than movies with the main characters. Books focusing on the Sith tend to be more interesting than those focusing on the Jedi.

The Thrawn trilogy was always annoying for me because Thrawn is a Gary Stu who always master plans his way out of any conundrum. I think the Bane trilogy, Darth Plagueis novel, and the Tales of... books are the only things in the series that are quality genre fic. Books like Rogue/Wraith Squadron are good pulp (keeping in mind that SW was basically designed to be pulp this is not an insult), and a lot of non-movie character novels are decent pulp as well, no real value in reading them but are good for wasting time on a plane or whatever.

The books I'm going to outright tell you to avoid are any books after Vector Prime. Salvatore was given the unfortunate job of delivering the death blow to the old EU by killing Chewbacca and bringing in the space orc invasion.
>>
>>8277600
>Salvatore was given the unfortunate job of delivering the death blow to the old EU by killing Chewbacca and bringing in the space orc invasion.

That never happened. I deny.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.