[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You are what you pretend to be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: postman_ver1.jpg (97KB, 509x755px) Image search: [Google]
postman_ver1.jpg
97KB, 509x755px
I just realized that two of my favorite novels, Mother Night and The Postman, are very similar.
A man pretends to be something that he's not, but since his actions effect other people and intentions don't matter, they become defined by what they pretended to be, not who they were on the inside

Are there any other books like that?
>>
>>8270258
Haven't read the novels you're mentionning, but from your description of them, I'd advise reading the following : The Vatican Cellars, by André Gide.
>>
is the postman actually a good book?
>>
>>8270258
that greentext story about the movie Drive
>>
>>8271368
Nah
>>
I don't identify with this need:

"I saw/read/listened to this. I want more of the same."

It's kind of like a right wing artistry: trying to surround yourself with as much homogenized work as possible.

I suppose it gives a nice feeling? Like you're protected from work you don't like as much? Like you've built a barrier to keep others out. All in the vain attempt to be comfy, feel safe and be secure.

This is aberrant behavior. Seems paranoid, based in emotional fear.
>>
>>8270258
>my favorite novels, Mother Night and The Postman
>Mother Night

That books was awful anon. You need to go back
>>
>>8272000
I don't think it's a matter of right vs left but I agree that it's a sterile sort of literary dead-end.
>>
>>8272022
That's why it's called an analogy.

*pats head*
>>
>>8271368
It kinda stumbles a bit in the second half, but beyond that, yeah
>>
>>8272000
what? So if you read a book by a new author and you like it, you wouldn't read another book by that author ever?
>>
>>8272042
>If you've read one book by an author, you basically get the gist of all of the rest of their books.

ok.
>>
>>8272067
I'm literally arguing the opposite of that. The guy I quoted is the one saying that The Postman and Mother Night are the same book and wanting to read more books featuring a theme they share is based on fear
>>
>>8272143
I guess you failed.

Take it like a man.
>>
>>8272025
Why are you patting your head?
>>
>>8272156
To tempt anons in attempting "cute" responses that will fall miserably short.
>>
>>8272156
First he pats his head, then he rubs his belly, when he finally gets good enough at doing each separately he'll try doing both at the same time
>>
>>8272163
I wish I had a qt /lit/ bf
>>
>>8272163
I wish you were my friend
>>
>>8272187
If wishes and buts were clusters of nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola.
>>
>>8272163
Eh, I thought it was an attempt at being condescending
>>
>>8272197
Never!
>>
>>8272007
No it wasn't. It was incredibly moving. How can you reach that ending and not feel what he's feeling in a powerful way without weapons-grade autism?
>>
>>8272518
>everyone should have the same response

Fan of Data from Star trek?
>>
>>8272522
Different responses are one thing, but flat-out saying Mother Night was awful is wrong
>>
>>8272526
Let us know the scale, so we can comply.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.