[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Infinite Jest the Dark Souls of literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: cover.jpg (36KB, 387x600px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
36KB, 387x600px
Is Infinite Jest the Dark Souls of literature?
>>
>>8267230

What is Infinite Jest?
>>
>>8267237
the infinite jest of video games
>>
no its game of throne [smiley with the carat nose]
>>
>>8267230
In terms of fanbase annoyance? Yes.
>>
Yep. Overrated; tedious as hell, but not actually hard; promoted by the worst of the worst people.
>>
>>8267230
>Dark Souls
sure, too hard and not worth the effort, with a fanbase that claims its greatness comes from its technical challenge
>>
>>8267230
really getting sick of IJ posts
>>
>>8267742
God this. I was honestly worried it would be too hard before I started it, but I'm like a third of the way through and haven't had any difficulty. It's just annoying sometimes when you're bombarded with endnotes or run into chapters written in "ghetto" gibberish.
>>
Yes !! lol!! !!!
>>
>>8267774
*cue in "what /lit/ needs is more DFW threads" copypasta*
>>
>>8267742
>overrated
the difficulty is, but the game isn't

>tedious as hell
which one did you play? DS1 was great

>but not actually hard
I'll agree with that.

>promoted by the worst of the worst people
could apply to any big budget video game
>>
>>8267778
there's only one or two ebonic chapters, don't be such a pussy. if that kind of weird shit puts you off than you'll probably hate Ulysses
>>
>>8267965
Look at this. He broke down my flippant post about a video game phrase by phrase and treated each phrase as a separate assertion to refute. Is this 2002?

The worst of the worst people, I'm telling you.
>>
/lit/: Infinite Jest.
/a/ Neon Genesis Evangelion
/tv/: The Dark Knight Rises
/mu/: In ter Aeroplane over the Sea
/g/: Gentoo
/v/: Dark Souls.

Yeah, both are the flagmemes of a 4chan board.
>>
>>8268170
"and but so shinji crashed this aeroplane with no survivors into firelink shrine" (i don't know anything about linux)

today i have touched pure meme, and pure meme has touched me.
>>
I love both the book and game and I have to say

Yes

both have that tedious feeling to them but if you push on its work it in the end
>>
>>8267230
I couldn't imagine literature as hard as dark souls.
>>
>>8268170
>/mu/: In ter Aeroplane over the Sea
Wrong. That would deathconsciounsess.
>>
IJ is just a book. It's pretty good IMO and it's very long but it is just a book. People need to stop taking such exception to it. It's also marginally harder than perhaps your average read but only in a few superficial ways. Plus it's pretty entertaining once you get used to it, it's a very long and fun book...a funny..long....infine...OMG
>>
>>8268170
Those are all different kind of memes

If you want to be simalar to how IJ is it would be something like

/lit/: Infinite Jest
/a/: Monogatari
/mu/: Itaots
/g/: Arch
/v/: Killer7

These works are all liked in that circle specifically more than any where else on the internet, but are of some controversy in such circle
>>
File: ju.jpg (267KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
ju.jpg
267KB, 600x360px
>>8267778
>God this
>>
>>8268203
you don't spend much time on /mu/, it's definitely either ITAOTS or something like Pet Sounds
>>
>>8268383
pet sounds is Ulysses or maybe something like Margarita
>>
>>8268119
>Is this 2002?
where you been sugar
>>8268175
bretty gud
>>
>>8268241
>Killer7

Are we visiting the same board?
>>
>>8267230

>literature
>video games

Stop this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmYrdMKC-d4
>>
>>8268399
Ulysses is probably Since I Left You
Finnegans Wake is Trout Mask Replica
>>
File: 1330821163890.jpg (40KB, 211x240px) Image search: [Google]
1330821163890.jpg
40KB, 211x240px
>>8267965
fuck you pseuds not starting with kings gate or DeS
>>
this meme thread legitimately made me laugh. everyone can collectively go fuck themselves
>>
>>8267230
WHO KILLED INFINITE SUMMER?!?!
>>
>>8268780
>he still goes on /v/
>>
>>8267774

You came to the wrong board, my man
>>
>>8267778
Maybe the new Ghostbusters movie is more your speed.
>>
>>8268817
finnegans wake can easily be compared to TMR. But not in this cultural context, only as the work itself.
>>
>>8269373
the guy who organized it so that it unexpectedly starts early on June 3rd.
>>
>>8269679
oh shut the fuck up
if you know nothing about music, and only a bit about literature, you shouldn't attempt to make these kinds of comparisons.
>>
>>8268817
>Ulysses
>Since I left you
kek
the other one is fairly accurate, but this... come on anon
>>
>>8268241
>/a/: Monogatari
That's quite wrong.
>>
>>8270436
Why?

>talked about daily
>either loved or seen as pseudo deep shallow garbage
>>
>>8270441
>talked about daily
>either loved or seen as pseudo deep shallow garbage
>These works are all liked in that circle specifically more than any where else on the internet, but are of some controversy in such circle
These are much more closer to NGE, Lain and LoGH (specially the first one) than Monogatari series by a wide margin.
>>
>>8268241
So, /tv/ is Drive?
>>
>>8270463
Monogatari and infinite jest are also much lighter and easier than lain or NGE. (like how IJ is to the others in the meme trilogy)
>>
The what?
>>
>>8270467
/tv/ would be Spring Breakers in that case
>>
>>8269173
>implying I didn't start with DeS

I said DaS1 was great, not that it was my first
>>
Andrew Klavan described this book the best.

He met the fellow on a bus and knew from the start the man was a genius yet a drunk. Alcohol ruined his ability to write, yet his genius stayed the same. Infinite Jest is the manifestation of this.
>>
>>8268175
Not bad not bad
>>
>>8272054
he had drink, he can't write
>>
People like you turned this book into a meme
>>
>>8268817
Would some of you people even listen to music without /mu/. Have you legit bought into music as a meme
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.