[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wheel of Time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: path-of-daggers.jpg (96KB, 740x374px) Image search: [Google]
path-of-daggers.jpg
96KB, 740x374px
I just downloaded the Wheel of Time series, all 14 novels along with New Spring and The Strike at Sugar Ray, and I was wondering if any other anons had read it? I got it on the recommendation of a friend after I told him I enjoyed A Song of Ice and Fire, so I know what kind of experience it will be, but I'm wondering if I should be reading it in publication order, or chronologically? I guess the story is supposed to be sort of confusing, so should I read New Spring first for context? Or will I be ok just jumping into the story with Eye of the World? Also, where does Strike at wherever fit in? I can't seem to get a solid answer as to where it fits in, and when I should read it? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Also, before anyone calls me a pleb or a genrefag, I just finished my degree in lit at uni, and I'm just trying to enjoy a low intensity fantasy read after a pretty intense four years of lit study. This is just for fun because I dig this kind of stuff.
>>
Hahaha how come this hasn't been called the Waste of Time series (I just came up with it!)

Seriously though you could have better taste in for-fun-only worthless garbage, even compared to GRRM this is awful
>>
>>8261560
Care to make a recommendation?
>>
>>8261564
Discworld stuff is good and less intensive if you really just want something fun and funny
>>
>>8261564
Assuming you're precisely looking for something long and mindless to get lost in, most often recommended are the Black Company for more grim and grit, Malazan books for more gods and fireballs, or whatever series that Sanderson guy writes of his own for newer "but it has a good magic system" stuff. All firmly genre fare but at least not as unforgivably bland as Jordan

Book of the New Sun is also very popular here but it's not what you're looking for
>>
>>8261537
It's fun for the first six books then it gets really fucking slow books seven though eleven. I'm about halfway though twelve right now and happy that the new author isn't complete crap.

Just beware that Sanderson likes to describer every little thing when he writes.
>>
>>8261537

They're pretty fun. Conceptually really good. Actual writing quality is sometimes good. Certainly a series worth reading if you like fantasy.

Read in publication order. Read New Spring either....right after book 5, or right before book 13. You can read it anytime you want really, but it's not meant as an introduction to the series, and it's most thematically appropriate at those two spots.

Jump in with Eye of the World. You can read Strike of Shayol Ghul anytime after that. It won't make sense reading it first. It won't spoil anything but it's all backstory stuff that won't make sense if you haven't at least read the first book.

Btw here's a general ranking of the books of the series - all my opinion of course, but might be interesting for you

FANTASTIC
Book 4
Book 12

REALLY GREAT
Book 5
Book 6

GREAT
Book 3
Book 11
Book 13

GOOD
Book 1
Book 2
Book 7
New Spring

OKAY
Book 8
Book 9
Book 14

BAD
Book 10
>>
>>8261537
>>8261632

Oh, also, after you read the last book, you should try and find "River of Souls". It's like a deleted sequence from the last book, but is really good, and should have been left in. It spoils lots of stuff so don't read it until you've finished the series.

Don't bother with "A Companion for the Wheel of Time", it has loads of spoilers and isn't very useful

"The World of Robert Jordan Wheel of Time" is good if you really like the worldbuilding. Definitely not a necessity though.
>>
>>8261596
Starlight Archive by Sanderson is fantastic, its a typical epic fantasy styled book, either way its an enjoyable read.

Malazan story is great... but the writing tries a bit too hard to have a deeper meaning in all honesty.

Wheel of Time has epic scenes at the beginning and end of the books but otherwise its just a bunch of feminist women ruling over men most of the time.
>>
>>8262994
Stormlight* Archive
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.