[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Geoffrey Hill and Yves Bonnefoy died today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: Geoffrey Hill2.jpg (66KB, 425x293px) Image search: [Google]
Geoffrey Hill2.jpg
66KB, 425x293px
Geoffrey Hill was tremendous. I read some of his poetry on the web and immediately started saving money to buy his collected poems. I bought them today, afraid that someone would take them from the second-hand bookstore before me.

As for Bonnefoy, I know nothing about him, because my French is terrible. I just decided to make one thread for both of them.

A terrible day for poetry.

Bonnefoy: http://www.corriere.it/cultura/16_luglio_01/morto-yves-bonnefoy-eb51adc0-3fbe-11e6-83d3-27b43c152609.shtml

Hill: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/britains-greatest-poet-geoffrey-hill-dead-at-84/
>>
it's pretty depressing how many authors I only hear about because they died

I only read Salter because he died recently and he's amazing
>>
Goodnight sweet Prince Geoffrey.

I had hoped that there was still more to come from him. I read through his collected works all through last year, astounded that there were still people producing poetry like it. I love his grumpy persona, I loved his bitching about Carol Ann Duffy to the press. I loved the prophetic drive and anger in his work. He seemed to pick up speed later in life and I really wanted more. And now he's gone.
>>
>>8230700
I sometimes find it depressing to read him because his poetry is so obviously above anything that I will ever be able to write.

The collection I bought contains all of his poetry up to 1992. I couldn't find other works of his, because I live in Brazil, and the dollar is very expensive now.

Have you read his critical writings? A Brazilian poet once said he was the best poetry critic of our time.

His YouTube interviews are very funny. He seemed to be a wonderful, wonderful person.
>>
File: Geoffrey Hill.jpg (44KB, 448x293px) Image search: [Google]
Geoffrey Hill.jpg
44KB, 448x293px
How does Geoffrey Hill's first poem compare with yours, /lit/?
I
Against the burly air I strode
Crying the miracles of God.

And first I brought the sea to bear
Upon the dead weight of the land;
And the waves flourished at my prayer,
The rivers spawned their sand.

And where the streams were salt and full
The tough pig-headed salmon strove,
Ramming the ebb, in the tide’s pull,
To reach the steady hills above.

II

The second day I stood and saw
The osprey plunge with triggered claw,
Feathering blood along the shore,
To lay the living sinew bare.

And the third day I cried: ‘Beware
The soft-voiced owl, the ferret’s smile,
The hawk’s deliberate stoop in air,
Cold eyes, and bodies hooped in steel,
Forever bent upon the kill.

III

And I renounced, on the fourth day,
This fierce and unregenerate clay,

Building as a huge myth for man
The watery Leviathan,

And made the glove-winged albatross
Scour the ashes of the sea
Where Capricorn and Zero cross,
A brooding immortality—
Such as the charmed phoenix has
In the unwithering tree.

IV

The phoenix burns as cold as frost
And, like a legendary ghost,
The phantom-bird goes wild and lost
Upon a pointless ocean tossed.

So, the fifth day, I turned again
To flesh and blood and the blood’s pain.

V.

On the sixth day, as I rode
In haste about the works of God,
With spurs I plucked the horse’s blood.

By blood we live, the hot, the cold,
To ravage and redeem the world:
There is no bloodless myth will hold.

And by Christ’s blood are men made free
Though in close shrouds their bodies lie
Under the rough pelt of the sea.

Though Earth has rolled beneath her weight
The bones that cannot bear the light.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.