[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite poets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (24KB, 286x289px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 286x289px
It's been a while since I've seen one of these, but who are your favorite poets?
I've always loved WB Yeats, but I never really read anyone else besides Shakespeare and Eliot.
>>
>>8220546
Ezra Pound because he was redpilled about Jews
>>
Emily Dickinson for her dank ass rhymes.
>>
Jem Casey is the man for me.
>>
Wallace Stevens
Hart Crane
Walt Whitman
John Ashbery

>inb4 Americans
>>
T.S. Eliot because he is the perfect mix of traditional and avant-garde poetry. Also had a noticeable progression over his career so the style never got stale.
>>
>>8220610
>Harold Bloom/10

My top five, in no particular order, would be:
Eliot
Bryant
Yeats
Whitman
Kipling
>>
>>8220546
Yeats, Edward Thomas and William Blake are all in my dank list
>>
>>8220639
>Harold Bloom/10
>>
>>8220652
Blake's paintings should also be considered when mentioning his poetry
>>
>>8220662
Bloom hates Eliot and I've never heard him speak at all on Kipling or Bryant.
>>
>>8220546
Transtromer, Tennyson, Yeats, Pound, Rilke, Whitman, Li Po, Omar Khayyam, Neruda, Dante, Homer to name a few...
>>
>>8220669
Both Kipling and Bryant are included in his 'greatest poems of the english language.' Eliot is too, but probably just out of Bloom's pathetic need to satisfy the 'canon'
>>
>>8220669
Bloom only dislikes Eliot because he (Bloom) is a jew
>>
>>8220693
I know.

>>8220684
I haven't seen that list. Where can I find it?
>>
>>8220696
I don't know, it's a book he wrote. You can probably look up the table of contents on google
>>
>>8220700
That's the name of the book?
>>
>>8220703
No.
>>
>>8220708
Well then what's the name?
>>
File: Homer.jpg (73KB, 628x811px) Image search: [Google]
Homer.jpg
73KB, 628x811px
>>
>>8220703
don't listen to the 'no' guy. The books is literally called 'The Best Poems of the English Language'
>>
>>8220546
Ezra Pound
TS Eliot
Sylvia Plath
Ernst Meister
>>
Rilke
Yeats
Pound
>>
Dickinson
Donne
(Joyce)
Milton
>>
Octavio Paz
George Santayana
>>
>>8220604
"A pint of plain is your only man"
>>
Donne
Blake
Cummings
>>
>>8220546
Eliot
Pound
Yeats
Crane
Stevens
Ashbery
Keats
Rimbaud
Baudelaire
Blake
>>
Ted Hughes
Seamus Heaney
>>
>All theses lists but no one explaining their choice
>>
>>8223023
They write pretty words, what other reason would you have for liking a poet?
>>
>>8223023
>>8220639

Eliot - I think Eliot does a better job than nearly any other poet of forcing the reader into a specific mood and conjuring the exact images he wanted. His variation between highly experimental forms and masterful use of the classic ones.

Bryant - Bryant wrote two of my favorite poems: Thanatopsis and To a Waterfowl. Thanatopsis in particular has a great deal of sentimental value to me.

Yeats and Whitman - Do I even need to explain these two? Their entire bodies of work exemplify excellence and they are objectively two of the best poets of all time.

Kipling - Kipling was the man that inspired my love of poetry. I learned If as a kid in exchange for $5 from my grandma and I've never looked back. His poetry is accessible to the masses (i.e. me as a child) while still being of high enough quality and literary merit that it warrants attention from sophisticated readers as well. He is the perfect poet for introducing anyone to poetry and I'll be forever grateful for my introduction. I know a great deal of his poems by heart.
>>
>>8222990
These

Also:
>John Berryman
>Gerard Manley Hopkins
>Emily Bronte
>John Keats
>Lord Byron
>>
>>8223124

Just stick to reading novels pleb.
>>
>>8220557

I heard a Fly buzz - when I died -
The Stillness in the Room
Was like the Stillness in the Air -
Between the Heaves of Storm -

The Eyes around - had wrung them dry -
And Breaths were gathering firm
For that last Onset - when the King
Be witnessed - in the Room -

I willed my Keepsakes - Signed away
What portion of me be
Assignable - and then it was
There interposed a Fly -

With Blue - uncertain - stumbling Buzz -
Between the light - and me -
And then the Windows failed - and then
I could not see to see
>>
>>8220619
The Hollow Men... An all time favorite of mine. I had to write an essay on his writing techniques in high school. Very peculiar man.
>>
>>8223262
I think this one's a little more dank

I taste a liquor never brewed,
From tankards scooped in pearl;
Not all the vats upon the Rhine
Yield such an alcohol!

Inebriate of air am I,
And debauchee of dew,
Reeling, through endless summer days,
From inns of molten blue.

When landlords turn the drunken bee
Out of the foxglove's door,
When butterflies renounce their drams,
I shall but drink the more!

Till seraphs swing their snowy hats,
And saints to windows run,
To see the little tippler
Leaning against the sun!
>>
>>8223269
Danker indeed
>>
Allen Ginsberg
>>
>>8223258
Poems tend to have a much higher ratio of pretty words to dull exposition and plot than novels do, so why would I prefer prose?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.