[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice plz

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Hello I could use your help
I've been given the opportunity to teach junior college students how to analyze literature/art correctly; that is realizing the true meaning of a text which is not as obvious as its other aspects. It's a program thats going to be pretty much run entirely by me, a student. This is a great opportunity and I really don't want to mess it up so I could use some help. I work as a writing coach at a junior college and find that many students don't have basic skills for proper analyzing of the more difficult things in different texts. I think this is largely because most of them have gone class to class, grade to grade only doing assigned reading and not having any experience outside of the classroom on their own. I know I want to teach them the Socratic method so they can habituate themselves to always asking about the nature of things they find in text but don't have much else to go on. I also plan on teaching them how to analyze paintings and different mediums other than pure text to try and integrate that understanding into literature. What do you guys think? What is essential in teaching someone how to analyze literature? Also, what short stories would you recommend for such a thing?
Thanks
>>
>>8208764
I think your main focus should be to get them involved, interested. If you don't feel too confident yet, have them participate, stimulate their point of view and their input.
Which is always best anyway imo than just saying "so the author here says this and that because of that, write that down cause that is the truth."
>>
>>8208823
I think thats def an important aspect, but if they're already showing up they have to have an interest in participation. The point really is to steer away from that whole "im you're professor and this is what the autor is trying to communicate" and have them understand it by their own accord. But how I can teach this is what Im hoping to get insight into
>>
>>8208764
are you going to teach any aesthetic theories?
>>
>>8210472
You could put them in groups and have them come up their own interpretations of texts as practice :)
>>
>>8208764
Model what you want, show them examples, create connections to things they know(music, movies, cartoons, shows) and have them practice (after you show them ) in groups to find the theme or do analysis of various media, have the groups share out and comment on one another's ideas, followed by whole class discussion.

That's what I'd do for middle and high school kds, just increase text difficulty depending in their level. Theoretically any kid in college should be able to do analysis, but if not you can scaffold the process by starting with this, then increasingly make it more independent until they can anaylze the text on their own.

Create an atmosphere where they don't feel they are being judgee, no wrong answers here. It's up to you to uphold that kind of culture. Tell them peoppe disagree in a analysis, and the only thing that matters is that their view/anaylsis is based on a logical argument using evidence from the text.

I can't really teach this to you over 4chan, but that's the basics.
>>
>>8208764
>I've been given the opportunity to teach junior college students how to analyze literature/art correctly
Literature means NOTHING
t. de Man.
>>
>>8210486
I'm afraid I'm not familiar
>>
I always give them the information they don't already have: context (historical, cultural), biographical (try understanding Yeats or Blake without it), and references. Once that's out of the way, they can really work things out and come up with interpretations without being hopelessly off-course.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.