[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you read any non-fiction at all?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1465411435042.jpg (42KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
1465411435042.jpg
42KB, 766x960px
do you read any non-fiction at all?
>>
>>8153376
mostly autobios.
I read a lot of interviews but I doubt if that counts.
>>
>>8153376
Math textbooks.

Other than that only very occasionally. Sometimes I like travel lit, although most of it is probably lightly fictionalized.
>>
>>8153376
Philisophy, psychology, and education. Most recent non fiction was On Becoming a Person by Carl Rogers, brilliant read if you want a profoundly insightful look at life, actualization, relationships, etc.

I'm thinking of reading Existential Psychotherapy by Irvine Yalom next.
>>
lmao you guys read fiction? ahaha i thought this was /lit/
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 479x380px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 479x380px
I like reading essays about fiction more than actual fiction a lot of the time
>>
Essays, sometimes.

Otherwise, no. Only fiction and poetry.
>>
>>8153425
I feel sorry for that doge fot being so ugly
>>
I read reddit, get it?
>>
File: protectedimage.php.jpg (23KB, 400x239px) Image search: [Google]
protectedimage.php.jpg
23KB, 400x239px
>>8153425
>>
>>8153425
I't like watching let's plays or video game critique or following /v/ memes although you stopped playing video games good 4 years ago.
>>
>>8153395
Do you have some more recommendations? I like your taste.
>>
Been reading a lot of American history, both political and cultural. Started with Tocqueville and Henry Adams, moved onto Civil War documents and am now moving through the American renaissance to supplement the transcendentalists.
Some Latin American history, and Montaigne.
>>
Nah, "real life" is just a sort of vague hallucination in any case.

What you see to be other people are just imperfect fleshy vessels struggling under the semi-competent control of the animus within, fumbling blindly through the impenetrable darkness of the material world.

The only "Real world" will always be the world of your own mind.
>>
Sometimes, but it's mostly disappointing stuff
>>
>>8153376
The great majority of what I read is academic non-fiction, specifically European history and ancient/medieval philosophy.
>>
I mostly read non-fiction. Mathematics, logic and philosophy are what I prefer. Although I try to read at least two novels per month.
>>
>>8154247
If you are interested in education: Teaching as a Subversive Activity is excellent.

Psychology : The Art of Loving by Fromm was very eye opening for how difficult yet important the action/idea/goal of love really is, and some of the more fundamental aspects of it that we often overlook.

Philosophy: I love Montaigne's complete essays and Rousseau's Confessions.

I'm think of reading James' Varieties of Religious Experience next, or something by Kierkegaard.
>>
Various reddit periodicals.
>>
>>8153376
Yes, about a third of my reading in nonfic.
>>
>>8153376
Almost exclusively, which is why I wish they would allow /his/ to have more book discussions, instead of chanting "take it to /lit/," when /lit/ clearly doesn't give a damn.
>>
All non-fiction is fiction.

There's your red pill.
>>
>>8155365
take it to his faggot
>>
>>8155365
>>>/his/
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.