[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alexander the Great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: alexander.png (37KB, 300x535px) Image search: [Google]
alexander.png
37KB, 300x535px
Any good books about him?
>>
Parallel Lives
>>
>>8126584

Yes
>>
>>8126717
such as?
>>
>>8126719

Arrian's Anabasis (I recommend the Landmark edition)
Quintus Curtius' Historia Alexandri Magni
Plutarch's biography of Alexander (contrasted with Caesar)
Pseudo-Kallisthenes' Alexander Romance
Book 17 of Diodorus Siculus
Books 11 and 12 of the epitome by Justin of Historiae Philippicae of Pompeoius Trogus

There's also an entire corpus of medieval and middle eastern fables and legends about him
>>
>>8126734
Thank you very much, which would you say is most historically accurate? Or do they focus on different aspects of him or his campaign?
>>
>>8126768

Of what we have, Arrian is usually considered the most reliable because he had access to virtually every previous source, including now-lost accounts of eye-witnesses (Ptolemy, Anaxarchus, Aristobulos, Nearkhos, the royal journals that Alexander had kept, et cetera).

If you're interested in the historicity of Alexander and comparing what the ancients wrote about him, then I'd strongly recommend the Landmark edition of Arrian because in addition to the text it also includes a lot of essays about this and is richly annotated with supplementary information.
>>
>>8126584
I studied Alexander for years and Quintus Curtius Rufus is a personal favourite. Though Arrian and Plutarch are the most accurate. If you're reading Arrian get ready for some loooong ass descriptions of battles
>>
>>8128149
I preferred Rufus as well. Arrian is supposed to be the overall better source, but man he really kisses Alexander's ass, whereas Rufus calls Alexander on his shit.

PS the Diodorus Chapter is pretty shit. Not very informative. Unless OP is obsessed with primary sources, he's better off reading a different ancient source or a modern one instead.
>>
>>8128354
Nah Plutarch really kisses Alexander's ass, literally forgives him for Cleitus' murder. Classic Classics ey
>>
>>8128577
Haven't read Plutarch yet but that's pretty disappointing.
>>
>>8128641
Yeah but you have to realise the Romans basically sucked Alexander's dick for centuries. They loved them some boy king of Macedonia
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.