[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /lit/ I have posted a short story here before and it got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: damn.png (117KB, 298x352px) Image search: [Google]
damn.png
117KB, 298x352px
Hello /lit/ I have posted a short story here before and it got great feedback. Please be rough on me.

This one is more of a work in progress than the last, but here it is:

The Brave

He sighed as he looked at himself in the shower mirror. He was at a truck stop on one of his long haul routes. His body was unfit and soft. His copper shin was beginning to wrinkle with age and inactivity. His black hair was cut short and it was thinning on top. He called himself David, but his grandmother had told him his name was roaring bear when he was a small child. He had left the reservation a long time ago so he could start a family. Now he drives trucks.

As he looks at himself he begins to see a strong fit man presenting his chest proudly. His hair is long, straight, and black like the feathers of a raven. His face is painted in bright pigments. His gaze is piercing and thoughtful. His vestments are hide and were made by rough laborious hands. He is a brave. There is a jarring banging on the door. “Hurry yer ass up in there! It has been fifteen damn minutes!” a hoarse smoker’s voice yells. He sees David again. His puts on his jeans and his shirt and walks to his truck.

As he drives the bumps of the road hurt his back. It didn’t used to be this way, but now it was. As the trees and bluffs pass by him he begins to feel as if he is riding a gleaming and powerful horse. The drone of the engine is no longer. He hears the clop of hooves, and the frantic breathing of a charging steed. He hears the call of a hunt. He sees the plains whip before him, conquered by a proud people. His truck drifts from his lane and he is galvanized by the honk of a passing car. His eyes are wet.

When he arrives home supper is already on the table. His child, a young boy almost eleven, runs to greet him as he walks in the door. The boy hugs his legs. He reaches down and tousles the boy’s hair. He sits and begins eating. He talks to his wife about her day, she says it was busy. She reminds him there is a bill that needs to be paid. He thanks her and said he almost forgot. She mentions that his boy did well on an exam. He turns to the boy and asks him for details. The boy confidently says that he has received the highest grade in the class on a mathematics exam. He smiles at the boy and congratulates him, he says he is very proud.

After dinner the boy collects the dishes and puts them in the sink. The boy goes upstairs to prepare for bed. The boy will think of how someday he will be a man like his father as he goes to sleep. David sits on the couch with his wife. She talks to him about her mother, what happened at the school yard when she picked up the boy, and how her trip to the doctor went. He listens and asks small simple questions. She rubs his back where it has hurt him. She asks him about his drive and what his truck carried.

When it gets late they leave the couch ready for sleep. She looks at him as he straightens the pillows, she sees a brave.
>>
>>8117413
good job
>>
>>8117433
Any criticism?
>>
>>8117413
Hmm meh
>>
>>8117493
How do you think it could be improved?
>>
>>8117440

it would be nice to see some diversity in the beginnings of your sentences. I can tell you have a good mind for this kind of thing. experiment with the flow of your work and notice how it makes you feel. reread it outloud etc.

in your defense you may be going for the native american dialect. if so, you're overemphasizing the choppyness or bland storytelling nature. try to breath some life into this with a bit more variety while still sticking to the intent that is almost too blatantly presented.

In short, expand. This is possible even if you wish to keep it knit tight like nana's basket which allows no water through its seams.
>>
>>8117514
Thanks I appreciate it. I will take your comment into consideration when I do my second draft.
>>
>>8117413
I'm running on poptarts and vyvanse right now, so I hope this is coherent...

1) Vary your sentence structure. The paragraphs in your story are indistinguishable from one another because the sentences are all the same structure: almost all begin with a pronoun and use a "to be" (is/was) as the primary verb. There's no rhythm. There's nothing new in the next sentence that compels the reader to continue. Your stale sentences leave the story stagnant. I feel like I haven't moved at all from the first sentence to the last.

2) The Native American imagery seems (to me) derivative. You mention face paint, pride, feathers, horses--all "Hollywood" images. They're expected. In every opportunity for fiction, I want to be told something that I hadn't known. I shouldn't feel as knowledgeable as the writer on Native American culture simply because I watched Pocahontas. Write abut the facets of this culture that are unknown. Better yet, pick one. Simply choose a single, unique characteristic of Native American culture that really identifies the protagonist.

3) Loose bits: there's a lot of mundanity towards the end (details I don't care about), which wastes the reader's time--don't do this; a TON of telling and not showing (I'd suggest using more metaphors), which leaves the whole reading experience lazy--make me work for the meaning.

I liked the idea of the story--some attention drawing stuff in there. Keep writing and revising!
>>
>>8117555
Thank you
>>
>>8117413
>short story
>>
>>8118323
What?
>>
>>8117413
Bump
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.