[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing a story, but before I can really begin I need to set

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1352902886929.jpg (113KB, 437x700px) Image search: [Google]
1352902886929.jpg
113KB, 437x700px
Writing a story, but before I can really begin I need to set up and organize a timeline of events, and consolidate my ideas and the themes in a manageable way. I'm currently just using pen and paper or writing programs that becomes a bit of an unwieldy mess.

Are there software that could help in this phase of writing? A personal wiki of sorts maybe? Or should I just use lists scribbled on napkins?

I've been ruminating on my ideas for over a year. It's been changing a lot, but I need an overview to create a structure of it all.
>>
Scrivener is worth the money
>>
>>8097125
Good suggestion, thank you.
>>
>>8097221
I prefer Focuswriter. It's free and very clean. Doesn't have as many organizational options but you can have as many tabs open as you need.
>>
>>8097125

yWriter is like Scrivener, but free.
>>
>>8096935

I use Excel, but I certainly would prefer something like a piece of wiki software. Problem is, most I've found are either unwieldy or confusing.
>>
>>8097821
I've seen excel mentioned a couple times in these word processor threads, I don't understand how you would use excel for fiction writing. care to explain?
>>
>>8098016

It's just much easier to make notes when you've got pre-made boxes, and the ability to write in multiple columns.
>>
>>8097271
Not OP, but bless you. I'm writing a continuing, episodic thing right now and it'll be perfect for organizing it all.
>>
Stop worrying about making the themes evident until the second draft.
Don't make the outline too elaborate, just hit the major points you need to reach. The more wiggle room you have as you go, the funner the writing process is.
Stop overthinking this outline thing and just start writing, let the chips and characters fall where they may. As long as you know how the story starts, begin writing and let the story guide itself.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.