[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i just finished No Longer Human. Where do I go from here? Who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

i just finished No Longer Human. Where do I go from here? Who are some other Japanese authors worth exploring?
>>
Yukio Mishima
Natsume Sōseki
Haruki Murakami
Ryu Murakami (although more thriller)
literally just type in japanese authors in google, they're all pretty depressing
>>
Mishima is considered their best modern writer by the Japanese themselves.
Start with The Sailor That Feel From Grace With the Sea and go from there.

I also liked Ryūnosuke Akutagawa. 1920s Writer who managed to roll Gogol, Kafka and Poe all into one.
>>
Shusaku Endo
>>
>>8085370
>suggesting soseki and haruki murakami

could you at least suggest somebody good like kobo abe or akutagawa ryunosuke
>>
>>8085376
Soseki's a classic though. It's like telling someone who wants an intro to American lit to not read Steinbeck.

Murakami on the other hand is complete trash. If you've read Kafka on the Shore you've read Murakami.
>>
>>8085388
>Soseki's a classic though.

he is a cat and would better remained a short story
>>
OP here, thanks for the suggestions I'm writing these all down
>>
>>8085370
>ryu murakami

I was so dissapointed when I read almost transparent blue.

dude huge black cocks lmao
>>
well, to be more accurate, i dislike soseki because he writes such a way so it's not very interesting unless you are fond of japan and want to peer at how it was changing in the beginning of 20th century, and i am not
>>
>>8085376
kobo abe is the laughing stock of Japanese literature and you should be ashamed of falling for the meme
>>
>>8085373
>Start with The Sailor That Feel From Grace With the Sea and go from there.

I was kind of underwhelmed by it. I felt like not a whole lot happened. The dialogue was weird and awful, though the one scene of violence in the book was nice and discomforting, it felt detached from the actual story. What Mishima book will really convince me of his literary prowess?
>>
>>8085424
I think that only people who are found of Japan read Japanese literature fullstop. And Taisho Japan is an incredibly iconic and fascinating time that attracts a look of people.

>>8085428
>it felt detached from the actual story
That's Mishima's shtick. Try the Golden Pavilion next.
>>
>>8085362
Dazai's No Longer Human was pretty shit, however I really wonder how much is lost in translation.

The style is just so barren, and the content is just muh hedonism and...some form of alienation that isn't interesting.

>>8085388
Soseki's I am a Cat is pretty forgettable is you don't love cats and/or are not in mood for a comedy.

I really don't care about some talking quirky cat.

Haruki Murakami can sometimes be comfy but that is about it.

Read Mishima OP and see how you feel.
>>
>>8085362
kawabata (snow country), soseki (kokoro), and mishima
>>
None of you will ever be able to convince me that Haruki Murakami is a bad author
>>
>>8085449
Soseki didn't write about Taisho Japan. He was dead before the period even started.
>>
>>8085507
you can read 1Q84 and convince yourself
>>
>>8085507
he is fake and shallow and also hipsterish
>>
>>8085511
I never said he hasn't put out mediocre or even bad books. But I've read three of his books now and enjoyed them all.

I recognize his flaws, i know he's not the best author ever, but he is NOT bad.
>>
>>8085529
Aka he's a popular living author so stop liking him
>>
Sound of the Mountain by Kawabata
>>
>>8085538
well, take for instance umberto eco, ok hes dead but he died only in february 2016, he was neither fake nor hipsterish, not sure if shallow but that is ok for the lighter literature and is a buzzword anyway unlike the other two words
>>
>>8085426
That's murakami senpai. Abe isn't really revered in the same way a lot of the greats are but he's hardly hated.
>>
>>8085611
Seriously. Oe even thought it was a shame he received the Nobel over Abe.
>>
>>8085611
Murakami isn't hated
>>
>>8085801
Neither is Abe.
>>
>>8085426
I hate this fucking trend of calling everything under the sun a meme

Just call it shit if you don't like it.

also
>Abe
>bad
>>
>>8085362
>Who are some other Japanese authors worth exploring?
Literally no one
>>
>translations

finish the Western canon first anon.
>>
>>8086009
The Western canon includes thousands of translations, assuming you're talking about Bloom's.
>>
>>8085801
by literary authors of meirt? yes
>>
File: max-stirner.jpg (5KB, 200x175px) Image search: [Google]
max-stirner.jpg
5KB, 200x175px
>>
is Oe any good?
>>
>>8086049
yes
>>
>>8085362
I thought The Setting Sun is a better novel than No Longer Human, but the latter is just so visceral. His short stories are also pretty good, Schoolgirl, Waiting, and A Sound of Hammering might appeal to you.

To read Dazai is to have an abusive relationship with him. It's a strange appeal.
>>
>>8085529
>hipsterish
>applying Western terms to an old Japanese author that doesn't even speak English

It's okay to like things that are likable
>>
>>8086447
What? Do you know who Murakami is? He speaks and reads English very well. In fact he's a translator for a great number of English authors into Japanese, like Carver, Fitzgerald, Salinger, Chandler, etc.
>>
>>8085424
Thank God you have a trip so I can filter you.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.