[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /phil/ think of Galen Strawson? If your answers aren't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

What does /phil/ think of Galen Strawson?

If your answers aren't insightful, please at least type them in a British accent.
>>
File: 1385862.png (104KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1385862.png
104KB, 800x1200px
Excuse the stock picks, I'm too lazy to do them from scratch.
>>
File: 388701.jpg (34KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
388701.jpg
34KB, 500x500px
>>
File: galen-strawson-543289.jpg (142KB, 640x916px) Image search: [Google]
galen-strawson-543289.jpg
142KB, 640x916px
>>
File: 1385861.png (75KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1385861.png
75KB, 1080x1080px
>>
Bump. Come on, /phil/, surely you have opinions on free will or panpsychism.
>>
this thread is a tumblr page
>>
>>8083006
Sounds like another pseud public "intellectual" to me. At least from these quotes.
>>
He's an interesting cookie: a hard determinist with respect to free will and a panpsychism in philosophy of mind. His view on free will does kind of echo Schopenhauer. He recently wrote a good online article on the origins of the concept of consciousness arguing that it goes way back before Chalmers' nineties book (many people have this distorted and false impression that much of the consciousness talk was all Chalmers) saw the light of day.

By and large though I think his father was a far more influential and better philosopher.
>>
>>8083233
He holds two professorships in philosophy and is one of the most renowned philosophers of mind and free will, so you're as wrong as can be in your intuition - at least from these quotes.
>>
>>8083240
>By and large though I think his father was a far more influential and better philosopher.
Arguably, that's not a low bar to pass.

I much prefer Galen over Peter on free will though.
>>
>>8083643
My intuition is flawless.
>>
>>8083656
A perfectly false position can be, in some way or other, flawless, I guess.
>>
>>8083240
>on the origins of the concept of consciousness arguing that it goes way back before Chalmers' nineties book

What the fuck? The "concept of consciousness" goes back to the beginning of philosophy. Chalmers has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>8083674
The poster probably means something like:
>... Many philosophers attribute the current prominence of the topic of consciousness to Chalmers. Strawson disagrees, arguing that consciousness is not a disproportionately prominent topic, and that Chalmers' influence is overrated.
>>
I've been preaching a variation of that my entire life. It's why I am so annoyed when I see people decry Heidegger and the continental tradition, m8.
>>
john green tier
>>
>>8083016
presumptuous
>>
>>8084380
Strawson is as analytic as they get though, in the best sense of the word.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.