[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stopping at lines for poetry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: damn.jpg (2MB, 1698x1131px) Image search: [Google]
damn.jpg
2MB, 1698x1131px
Yesterday this girl in my lit class said that she liked the way i read poetry b/c i read it without stopping at the end of the line.
>Studying hamlet
>Other guy
>"To be or not to be, that is the question"
>Long, long pause
>"Whether tis"...

Why do people read any poetry by stopping at every line without punctuation? Plebs
>>
>>8063002
maybe he was awed by the genius of the line
>>
Only pseuds don't pause at the end of the lines. Words are ugly as fuck, and they only sound nice if you emphasize the meter.
>>
>>8063002
Because they don't know how to read poetry?

But yeah, people have told me the same thing when I read verse.
>>
How good did it feel to have a female talk to you OP, please explain

In lines...
>>
>>8063002

if you're not meant to stop at the end of the line, why do they make a new line?

checkmate, pal
>>
File: NewtMoon.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
NewtMoon.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>8063002

... depends on the punctuation? A lot of older verse has lines with commas and periods ending every line, but Shakespeare and many others have very enjambed lines. Follow the punctuation.
>>
the end of line is specifically made to have a short stop, also some lines suppose a stop at the middle of it

but then, if it's written with a metre, you would assume those stops naturally even if you read the poem written in one line
>>
>>8063736
Eyes connect, her body motions a demand for attention,
my heart stops a second, only to beat faster in an attempt to make up for lost time,
her lips move, those velvet words,
"Hey, do you know where Chad is?",
"I-I t-t-think he is over t-there, m-mylady"
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.