[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /lit/'s opinion of this novel? Or Pirsig in general?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 71tZgyVVbfL.jpg (216KB, 1600x2410px) Image search: [Google]
71tZgyVVbfL.jpg
216KB, 1600x2410px
What is /lit/'s opinion of this novel? Or Pirsig in general?
>>
my diary desu
>>
>>8057185
pretentious garbage
>>
Shit. Shit.
>>
>>8057185
aggravating prose style
>>
>>8057185
interested.
>>
Watered down millennial enlightenment nonsense. Philosophy for the braindead. Pretentiousness. Can be summed up as "life's about the journey"

My friend's lesbian mother has a poster of it in her Asheville apartment.
>>
Zen and the art of being a complete dilettante by pretending to find profundity in simplicity
>>
drivel

coelho-tier pseudo intellectual garbage
>>
>muh gnus IQ!
>>
Currently reading it while stranded in Bozeman, Montana on a motorcycle trip across the country. It's entertaining at least.
>>
>>8057185
I enjoyed it when I was 18 or 19. That's all I remember. I haven't read it in 10 years.
>>
>>8058818
>>8058824
>>8058830
>>8058783

My theory is that it was very well regarded for it's time but its ideas have been propagated into senselessness over the years. Same with French new wave films that have just devolved into black and white nonsense sucking on a cigarette self parodying bullshit.

That being said I did really enjoy the first half of it. Quality read.
>>
>>8057185
i read this quite a while ago, and i can truly say i remember nothing from it. jonathan livingston seagull was far more influential.
>>
>>8057185
I think he posted here once a few months back. Seemed like a self-righteous douche, which is fitting.
>>
so fucking bad. if someone tells you they read this book and thought it was interesting or deep never take anything they say seriously again. pleb litmus test if there ever was one.
>>
Once upon a time I was, long story, killing time in Provo UT when I met this enormous bear-looking hobo who was traveling around getting enlightened or whatever. Had a wild time hanging out with the dude, letting him tell me about his self-made philosophy, he pulled out a pipe and smoked honey-soaked tobacco in it, I think he was actually pretty young, but anyway he was inspired by Zen and the Art. He used to email me, last I heard he was getting into college, so maybe he's normal now.

Here's one of his emails, I don't think he'd mind if I shared it:
SUBJ: Howdee [Anon]! After I got out'a jail for light'n a rotting tree on fire-to save it's life I tell you! :)
I spent some time in Saint Louis, hang'n out w/Drift'n, and his massive Bull-Mastive puppy-dog, for about A month, before walk'n under the Saint Louis Arch, one last time to the Mississippi river, and down streem I walked. Untill...?:)
I floated the Mississippi!:) Betwixt Barges! On a hefty Y-log'o drift wood!:)(:)) I Th. I'ld make through, between a log jam:), and one of th parked barges, but was stopped by the mess'awood. So I got out, and was respect'n the slightly wetted pocket dictionarry I'd boaughtdurring my stay at the OR State hospital; serving a 2 year sentance(which I was released from LAST YEAR!!!:)=mARCH 4th 2011!:), which had gotten a little wet, as I road the drift-wood down the mississippi=Mississippi(Ok Ok, I meant->:), I waved peace at tug-boats; some w/the audacity to push the barges, which was great to see to, and when some workers =barge-men told me to get off the river, and back on the road, I obliged:)to meet another workers inquisition from a building I got to by squeeze'mn through'tweena whire:)-woven fence, & some brush which had started to ...integrate through the fence, and I made it! A nice chap I -one of the nice chaps I talked to in the parking lot after-wards gave me $120!'er. $20:) W/directions-oh, I think I slept a night in the time I've disclosed, as of yet, but any-way, lots been happening, and today, walk'n'round, I met Debbie, who took me out to eat, and droped me off at this Cape Girardeau Public Library(St. Louis still:), w/plans to rehandevu @ park just up the road and to the left, to take me to church! Whinced the library closes that is, as I'm gonna get to do allota read'n, for a time:)
cont.
>>
>>8060834
Oh, I've been read'n a verry good book, whenever time allots, I delve into a =the book Drifter gave me in Saint Louis. Drifter's this cat I spent , well more time then anyone else; in St Louis, whos main bud is Babbe(w/an acsent on the 'e':). Who is this MASSIVE (:Bull Mastif, ironicaly:)puppy, whos enormus paws , and monstorus head denote more growth to come, but can conceal his little puppy demeanor:) Any-way, he gave me; Into the wild. A well written vocab-book, which my pocket dictionary helps some with-oh. What I get mostly from it, is a great apprechiation for my family:) All of yall have really been great in my life so far, which leaves me w/great comfort now, and on my forbearring path:) Alexander Supper-tramp(the main characters assumed name, from Chriss McCandles, whos father helped pioneer the Space program, but was also apparently intertwined w/bigotry, which sufficently widened the gap'tween him and drove his son to the mortal ultimatum of becoming one w/nature, though death has seemed, and is unplaned for, by this reader:)
It's a good book though, and I think i'LL now take this oppertunity to look up some words!:) LOL
Church(then:) tonight, and I think I R the nice lady say'n I'ld've a house to sleep at tonight, but I really like sleep'n outside, so we'll see, Kapish?:)

-

So I've got a soft spot in my heart for the book, because it reminds me of this guy.
>>
File: meme.jpg (24KB, 224x346px) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
24KB, 224x346px
>>8057185
>not reading the dankest Zen book
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.