[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Koan #3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: gify.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
gify.gif
2MB, 480x270px
Suiwo, the disciple of Hakuin, was a good teacher. During one summer seclusion period, a pupil came to him from a southern island of Japan.

Suiwo gave him the problem: "Hear the sound of one hand."

The pupil remained three years but could not pass this test. One night he came in tears to Suiwo. "I must return south in shame and embarrassment," he said, "for I cannot solve my problem."

"Wait one week more and meditate constantly," advised Suiwo. Still no enlightenment came to the pupil. "Try for another week," said Suiwo. The pupil obeyed, but in vain.

"Still another week." Yet this was of no avail. In despair the student begged to be released, but Suiwo requested another meditation of five days. They were without result. Then he said: "Meditate for three days longer, then if you fail to attain enlightenment, you had better kill yourself."

On the second day the pupil was enlightened.

>What is your interpretation of this story?
>What can we learn from it?
>>
kys
>>
>>8008209
That humans have a tendency to do things half-heartedly, and look for the easy solutions to thing, eg. escaping.
>>
File: Freudulent.jpg (195KB, 868x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Freudulent.jpg
195KB, 868x1024px
>>8008209

The teacher had become a maternal idol to the male student, and the student's Oedipal complex compels him to have symbolic sex with his symbolic mother. The student's attempts at enlightenment were hindered due to his neurosis, which induced severe paranoia regarding premature ejaculation. At the climax of his life, (his death, which was expected to still be a day away) he became enlightened, and thus symbolically prematurely climaxed.
>>
You only really do a thing if you feel that your life depends on it.

Otherwise your actions are sloppy, bland, and half-formed.
>>
>poetry in translation
>>
>>8008209
That there was no meaning to the original "problem" and the student only declare himself "enlightened" when he felt his life was threatened.
>>
>>8008209
Interpretation 1: he realized everything he had been doing for the past years is stupid, because one hand does not clap, and that it wasn't worth dying for

Intepretation 2: he realized that he could actually leave at any time

Interpretation 3: the unenlightened life is not worth living.

And these from the anons I like:
>>8008325
>>8008746

Also this is a zen koan, the primary purpose is not the right understanding, but the right awareness and feeling that takes place upon hearing it, ie. enlightenment.
>>
>>8008209
>>8008969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6YSfEKMeC8
>>
>>8009459
Then Lisa slaps Bart and says, you're right.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.