[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's finals, /lit/ (the tentative academia thread)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Whose got finals? who loves em? who hates em?

I'm especially curious as to hearing about projects that people feel passionately about for their finals, or that you've found what you're saying has become important to you otherwise.

People who aren't in school anymore get in here too; miss doing finals? are there any kickass papers you wrote that you remember fondly?

does anyone in academia here do creative work? I tend not to, but this semester I am for the first time and so far it's pretty terrifying.

finally (I think), did you take any courses this year you loved or find worth mentioning? What the hell are you taking next semester? I haven't even thought about that shit

I'm writing pretty much three different papers about one book that I absolutely love, but even so it's getting sort of draining.

The one I'm doing right now is at least mostly about Deleuze, I just use the book for my arguments. Problem is it was due by the 'afternoon' today and now its 5pm here.

oh, I almost forgot one of the most important parts; study music reccomendations. post youtube links or whatever if youve got anything extra special you listen to as you study, or that you find perfect for writing

these have been getting me through a lot. perfect for when its time to finally put the book down and start writing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-34mZr-sLs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ7wg043a8s

(I couldn't find the image I intended to use, so i had to go w the backup)
>>
>>7995411
Praise the Lord by Sergei Rachmaninoff
>>
>>7995411
quite the order but here we go:

>Just finished up finals for all my classes sans a 3 page paper on King Lear that i'm editing with my fiance tonight

I took a course on Early British Literature that really triggered my dick with early Catholic doctrine even more than it had been already. Also introduced me to Sir Gawain and the Green Knight which was a great read.

Next semester is interesting. One course on literacy and education, one on Existentialism (mostly Kierkegaard i believe), one on the history of the English language and its grammar.

STUDY MUSIC:
>Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
>Brian Eno - Ambient 1
>A Winged Victory for the Sullen
>Satie

if you're weird like me though you write papers and shit as you listen to free jazz. In which case:
>Don Cherry - Where is Brooklyn?
>TEST - Ahead
>Jimmy Lyons - Other Afternoons
>>
>>7995620
thank you!
I just spilled coffee on my nice new Blake book (from the library) and seeing a proper response was just what I needed.

I used to listen to a lot of Mingus while I did work, but I never got beyond that into jazz. I still have a few tracks of his on my writing inspo playlist on youtube, though, which is otherwise mostly old videogame music, weird japanese avant garde, electronic albums about space, and whatever peculiar black metal I can find.

I miss studying Shakespeare. I was really passionate about him in high school but got over it really quickly when I started smoking weed for some reason. I've always wanted to write something about the Tempest. In the hospital over the summer I started taking notes on it but it never went anywhere, I started Light in August and it fucked me up too much to do anything else.

also this album is incredible for getting lost in writing you don't wanna do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWGjYg2LmZQ
>>
File: 1430912112250.jpg (79KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1430912112250.jpg
79KB, 1080x1920px
Sadly I'm a stemfag whose finals are studied for with endless practice problems, not papers. Writing this from the toilet right before I go back to do more multivariable calc practice.
>>
>>7995887
>mfw I already have this album saved to my Discogs wantlist

gud taste
>>
>Last final of undergraduate tomorrow in Real Analysis
>Last paper of undergraduate due tomorrow

It's a 10 page paper in Portuguese on the different ideologies behind the portrayal of violence as a mode of social progress in two Brazilian films, Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol and O Som ao Redor.

Feels weird being so close to done with undergrad. I don't really have a job lined up other than a part time research assistant gig so I'm gonna have a lot of free time.
>>
>>7997147
>mfw I did a 10 page research paper on the ways we marginalize the voices of impoverished students in our classrooms + providing two solutions i favor in helping correct the problem

>tfw your citations take up two pages
>>
>>7997156
Sounds pretty interesting. What were your favored solutions?
>>
yeah but they were piss easy. i go to a small community college in tennessee. one of the questions was naming a postmodern novel and explaining three of its thematic elements, which was fun to write about
>>
oh i forgot to post study music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Ymr7BXFHY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDjl5dKjG2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAYxPiPZrnw
>>
>>7997165
Well, some of the largest in-class problems facing students in poverty is that they get congregated together. This happens in general because the US funds schools through property taxes (ruled illegal by the Supreme Court in the 80s; no one gives a fuck though). So all these poor people go to poor schools with less money to hire good teachers who have to do curricula decided by wealthy/upper class people in the capitol

So the main problems are:
1. Lack of relation to the material; as much as I love and advocate for The Great Gatsby, we cannot present it as is to kids and think they'll get loads out of it
2. Incompetent teachers who hardly know their Zone of Proximal Development from their Scaffolding

SOLUTIONS:
1. Professional development for teachers and more strict regulation of who can be a teacher. It's cool you have a degree in math, but that doesn't mean you're at ALL qualified to lead a class of kids just because you can't do anything else with said degree

2. Through prof development, we access higher level pedagogy which is proven to work infinitely better with ALL kids. And with higher level pedagogy comes tackling texts and ideals at higher realms, in manners that can make them mean something to kids. "As Ahab has searched and tried for what feels like an eternity, he refuses to give up. Do you have your own "white whale"?"

that's the summed up version
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.